Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC with options i don't want, but is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member

Default tC with options i don't want, but is it worth it?

So finally I decided to get a tC over a used BMW with your help and found out yesterday that i will have to wait for 6-8 weeks to get one. I get a call this morning saying they have one that the owner won't be picking up but is loaded with options.
The options are :
6-cd changer
Scion Security
Rear Lip Spoiler
Fog lamps
Floor mats
Door sil
I wouldn't have gotten the first three but they are nice to have. kinda pricy. its the color i want and the transmission i want.
Are those options worth paying for? I am getting a low APR (3.74) in NorCal so the payments would be around $300 with $4000 down payment.
Once again, what do you guys think, wait for a stock one or go for it?
Thanks in advance
I have to let the guy know by tomorrow afternoon
Old 12-13-2004, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It depends how much your time is worth I suppose :-)

I got mine with the 6-CD changer and like it obviously because of the 6-Cd capability. I also like the color display options. I got it without the lip spoiler, but ended up buying it and installing it myself anyway (the same with floor mats). I'm also looking at getting some custom fog lights. The point is, I thought I wouldn't need this stuff, but I ended up wanting to get them and customize it anyway.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tell them to take off what you don't want and you will buy it. scions all about getting what you want.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member

Get it Dude it's a nice Car, you wont regret those options. 6 to 8 weeks is a long wait Man....
Old 12-13-2004, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

yeah, its worth it, go for it!
Old 12-13-2004, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how many dealers have you checked with? I called about 30 in 3 different states. If you are hesitant about the added options, try calling more dealers. It took me around 3 weeks of calling just to find a dealer who had my transmission and color. It came with some options i wasnt planning on getting right away (lip spoiler, fogs, mats, wheel locks) .

Im glad I got it. But seriously, dont rush. You are buying a car...be sure before you sign the dotted line.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Man go for it, i had the same thing happen. a guy put a hold on one with bidykit exhaust and other awesome stuff and he backed out. i just wanted to do basic and build up but i took on the payments of $318.00 a month with 4k down and i love my tc to death and that money doesn't bother anymore as long as i enjoy myself and i'm goin faster than everyone else.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

go to scion.com and calculate the difference in payments since you know your apr and how much you would be putting down. Also, see if they would take off the options you dont want first.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i ordered mine stock and it came with the changer and floor mats..so i can only comment on those..planned on getting the mats eventually so that wasn't a big deal..they are a little flimsy for the money though...initially i was going to have them remove the changer..now i couldn't be happier i kept it..this is my first in dash changer which is a huge improvement over my last one which was in the trunk...the color change is nice if you plan on doing anything with your gauges or dash lights...also fun to put on Mixer and it automatically changes through all the colors while playing.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I would stay away from it man.... scions are made for personalization, dealers are NOT supposed to load options on the cars they get on the lot, toyota's rules - tell them to take it off because it's not the vehicle you want, the only options worth keeping are the floor mats and the door sills - the security system is crap, worthless crap, you could get an incredible viper alarm with remote start, pressure sensor alarm, 2-way remote alerts you when it goes off etc for $300 installed, or $500 for an alarm that goes "WEE-OO-WEE-OO" when you smash the window. - the lip spoiler is a joke, no spoiler looks good on our cars, it's like putting a spoiler on a 350z, it just doesn't work. and the 6-disc changer? you're kidding right? paying $400 for a STOCK head unit for color-changing LED's and 6-disc changer? that's like half the price of a good starting navigational system...

if it were me, I would ask them nicely to remove the options so you can customize it yourself, get whatever options YOU want and buy the car, if they say no, insist that they do, and if they still don't, tell them you're sorry that you have to go somewhere else and that you have to report them to toyota/scion for their poor service and violating regulations set by Scion. Scion deducts their inventory for them screwing up - crooked dealers put $5000 worth of options on their cars to put more money in their pocket when someone is desperate and says "screw it" and buys it - think about it - if they do that 10 times they just sold 3 more scions to people who weren't happy with their purchase. Scion doesn't do that to people. period. there were 2 tC's on the lot I went to in Fitzgerald Scion of Gaithersburg, MD and the options on it were... *drumroll* delivery, processing and handling fee.

go to another dealer if they can't help you and report them to Scion - that is SO not cool

EDIT: it's actually about $2000 in options, and your payments would be about $263/mo @ 60mo or $323 at 48mo - if the dealer gave you that monthly figure I'd check it, and get the APR in writing, even at $2500 for tax, tag, title and major worthless dealer fees and financing charges that's $316/mo @60mo - I'm paying $276/mo @ 60mo 4.4%APR and my off the lot price was $21,583.40 (1748.95 finance charges, 2135 options I picked, 1234.45 tax and misc state fees)
Old 12-13-2004, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have the money, go for it. Personally, I would not go for it. Dealers are doing this as the stock tC has very little profit in it for the dealer. But if the dealer adds a bunch of options, then his profit skyrockets.

Good luck on your decision.

Kevin
Old 12-13-2004, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup, I'd say sounds pretty shady. dealers are feeling that they don't make enough on the cars, so they're loading them up with options that they make much more % on. not exactly the "scion" way of doing things.

6-disc cd changer? stock plays mp3s and you can set them up in folders. will hold somewhere between 6 and 10 cds on one mp3 disc.

alarm? that's up to you whether you want it or not. I didn't think that the alarm/etching was worth $700, and while there's loads of after-market ones you can get, it really is a personal decision.

Spoiler, Fogs, Mats and door sil? Well mats are $75 on McGeorge's, not a big fan of the spoiler, or the door sils, fogs are your call. I'd guess that they're trying to make an extra grand on selling you stuff you don't want b/c they can't rip you off on the price of the car. go somewhere else and they should be able to get you the car you want... I wasn't picky on color, so a stock one was pretty easy to come by.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI, at first i told my dealer that i was gonna go look elsewhere because I didnt want the options (fogs, spoiler, mats, wheel locks), and when he heard that, he said "well we can discuss taking some of them out). I ended up getting it anyway because I was planning on getting those options anyway, but at a later time. So I figured what the hell and just took it.

So you should tell the dealer to take out what you dont want, then buy it. Waiting 6-8 weeks would drive me nuts!