Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Default tC in the snow...a progress report from Michigan

And the grade is: D+.

This car sucks in the snow. We've got about 5 inches so far here today in about 4 hours or so, and the tC is not handling it very well. Grip on acceleration is very poor, and upon braking, it skids very easily. The ABS does work well, kicking in very frequently. I must say the ABS system is pretty noisey until you get used to the grinding sound.

If you live in an area that gets even moderate snow, you will NEED snow tires.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: tC in the snow...a progress report from Michigan

Originally Posted by lucky
And the grade is: D+.

This car sucks in the snow. We've got about 5 inches so far here today in about 4 hours or so, and the tC is not handling it very well. Grip on acceleration is very poor, and upon braking, it skids very easily. The ABS does work well, kicking in very frequently. I must say the ABS system is pretty noisey until you get used to the grinding sound.

If you live in an area that gets even moderate snow, you will NEED snow tires.
I think you mean the tires suck in snow. RE92s are not good wet/snow tires.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good to know...the snow will be flying here very soon.

I just ordered a winter package from The Tire Rack today - 15" Steelies w/ Blizzaks for $500.

I would have rather had some Nokian Haakapallita's but couldn't find them offered as a package anywhere...and I'm a bit too lazy to piece everything together...and I think it would have cost more than $500 to do so (after mounting & balancing).
Old 11-24-2004, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

great... my dad's answer to "can i get snow tires?"- me... "might wanna fill out the job application"-dad.... "the job's for the summer!"-me...."well for next winter"-dad.... "thanks alot "-me.... im screwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwed

*edit* guessing i shouldn't install springs till winter
Old 11-24-2004, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i just bought snows so no worry here
Old 11-25-2004, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the stock wheels back from the dealership when i got the tire and rim package and when i started trying to sell them everybody told me to keep them and use them for snow tires...

at first i resisted because:

1) snow tires COST money
2) selling tires GETS money

but now that i've heard this i'm re-considering... i think snowtires will be a lot less expensive than an accident.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

would you really look at that car and think it belongs in the snow? it looks like it belongs in florida.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah we had four inches here in chi. and i might say i thought only slip and slide matts were only for winter. My car was sliding like it had fkn ice skates on. But i mean overall i was driving really carefully.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well or my part I drove very very slow ;) about 20-30 MPH
but I'm considering getting snow tires too but I'll see how well it'll hold when we get the big drop
Old 11-25-2004, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey guys,

yeah, i was coming back from school (UMICH) to chicago today. got caught up in the snow storm. was very rough out there. took 7 hours to get from ann arbor to chicago.

no, i didnt drive the tc. my tc isnt here yet. should be coming in in mid december. been waiting since august 18th. was quoted 8-12 weeks. (so off schedule)

after reading reviews about the potenzas re92s on tirerack.com and on the forums, i decided that they wouldnt suffice for midwest winters.

i ordered a winter tire/wheel package from tirerack.com. got 16" steelies w/ Dunlop winter sport m2s. gonna just swap them on when my car comes in december. the m2s are on sale right now! the package that i set up would have costed me 550 including shipping, but my friend got the hook ups and got them for me for 500 from tirerack.

i wanted the dunlop wintersports m3, but the m2s were cheaper and the expert from tirerack said i prob wouldnt be able to tell any difference between the two unless i looked really hard.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you order a tire/wheel package through tirerack, it comes with free mounting and balancing and free lug nuts!
Old 11-25-2004, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ToBeeyach
I got the stock wheels back from the dealership when i got the tire and rim package and when i started trying to sell them everybody told me to keep them and use them for snow tires...

at first i resisted because:

1) snow tires COST money
2) selling tires GETS money

but now that i've heard this i'm re-considering... i think snowtires will be a lot less expensive than an accident.

i was thinking about buying another set of the 17" stock rims for the winter. but winter tires for 17" wheels are pricey. thats why i went with 16" steelies.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i live a little out side of chicago and i almost got in 2 accedents on my way to denys once while taking a turn at 5mph my car kept sliding to the left hand lane and almost hit the curb then on my way back when i was parking at work my car kept slideing and i almost hit my friends 2005 tib my abs wouldnt let me step on the breaks it just pushed back to hard i ended up rideing up on a curb and scratching the bottom of my bumper but its better then hitting another car hopefully its not going to cost alot to fix the scratches
Old 11-25-2004, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also if you guys get snow on the top of your tc wipe as much of it off as you can it sucks when you drive with ice up there it rattles and sounds like ____ on the inside so do every thing you can to prevent ice
Old 11-25-2004, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I live in MI too and it just snowed - had no real problem.

Had a great time, actually, the ebrake kicks out the rear end nicely.

You'll only have a problem with the re92's if you are an idiot and try to drive like you usually do when in fact the roads are slippery as hell.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

right ;) as long as you're slow not going to fast
Old 11-25-2004, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I was worrying about these tire, and yesterday was coming back home in the small storm (live in champaign, IL, but I'm from Quebec city, so I'm used to snow )

My first reaction is that these tire are not so bad! You can easely make it trought the winter if you take good care. But I'm still consern about it and would maybe like a little more to have that little extra grip that can be usefull. But I'm not sure I want to go full winter tire. Winter dont seems to be that bad here and I'm affraid that I will simply ware them to fast!

So what you guys think about the new goodyear assurance tripple tread??? read good things about them! Would you recommand it?

Thanks
Later all
wawa 86 MR2 MKI SC & 05 Scion tC
Old 11-25-2004, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i bought a set of 15" steel wheels and a set of Star Magna Grip Wintermark tires and a set of xA 15" hubcaps and the thing looks stock (more stock then the rims ya get) so it doesnt look half bad ... yeah the RE92s suck all around ... i plan on selling my 'Stones and gettin a set of Pirelli PZero Nero M+S All Season tires ... these tires are SOOOOO much better then the 'Stones ... my Goodness ...
Old 11-25-2004, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member

I just park my Tc for the Winter and drive the truck...playa playa.
Diversify your bonds _____es!!
Flip Magoo
Old 11-26-2004, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

all i have to say is that i'm going to miss my 2000 wrangler when it snows this year.

Quick Reply: tC in the snow...a progress report from Michigan