tC Subwoofer question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Default tC Subwoofer question

Why is the tC subwoofer and enclosure selling for around $330 when the after market woofers are so much cheaper? is there some reason the tC one is more expensive, or is it just the special enclosure?
Old 09-26-2004, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

There is a custom enclosure that fits on the passenger side of the trunk behind the wheel well. It is also an OEM item and will be covered by all applicable warranties. Another reason why people are willing to spend more this way is because they can add the cost directly into their loan and make payments.

At least, that's what I figure. . .
Old 09-26-2004, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

well we all can't forget that there is an amp in the enclosure as well...
Old 09-26-2004, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I believe the wiring harness plugs directly into the head-unit as well, but don't quote me on that.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Theres an amp in there too? I thought that 100 watt was just how much power the sub could handle. then again, thatd be really low.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's amplified and plugs right into the factory harness. If you had a custom fiberglass enclosure made for the same space (or if somebody produced a custom one to fit) you'd probably spend $300 for the enclosure alone. Getting the enclosure, driver, amp and all wiring for ~$300 from http://www.mcgeorgeparts.com is a steal.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The mcgeorge website is awesome, thanks for posting.

My question about the sub: I just installed an AVN2454 - does the sub take standard RCA pre-out for input, or does it require something special from the stock head unit?
Old 09-26-2004, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mangus
The mcgeorge website is awesome, thanks for posting.

My question about the sub: I just installed an AVN2454 - does the sub take standard RCA pre-out for input, or does it require something special from the stock head unit?
It has a custom wiring harness that plugs in between the head unit and the standard wiring harness. It will work with the Eclipse no problem.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

toyota is trying to get money off of you. then again you can always complain to them about the options you bought and theyll replace it right away.

i really like the BASSLINK-T, it has GREAT BASS (test it before) but my friends keep tellin me that getting powered subs wastes your battery.

can't you put a compasator in a powered sub?

BASSLINK-T is very nice
BASSLINK is a nice upgrade
Old 09-27-2004, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium
toyota is trying to get money off of you. then again you can always complain to them about the options you bought and theyll replace it right away.
The tC Bazooka sub is a bargain no matter how you look at it, so I don't know what you're talking about.

i really like the BASSLINK-T, it has GREAT BASS (test it before) but my friends keep tellin me that getting powered subs wastes your battery.
I've had a Bazooka tube, an Infinity Basslink as well as sealed and ported regular subs. The Basslink is better than a tube, but not as good as the tC Bazooka sub.

can't you put a compasator in a powered sub?
If you mean a capacitor, yes, you could, but you don't need to.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Another quick Q on the sub:

If I pick it up from McGeorge's, is there (by chance) already power tapped to the passenger side of the hatch, or will I have to tap power at the battery and run an umbilical? Hopefully power is tapped at the factory to make dealer installation easier, but I doubt I'll be so lucky.

If not, is there a recommended place to tap power for it, or is the standard distribution block off of the batter the best/easiest way?

Thanks!

M
Old 09-27-2004, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mangus
Another quick Q on the sub:

If I pick it up from McGeorge's, is there (by chance) already power tapped to the passenger side of the hatch, or will I have to tap power at the battery and run an umbilical? Hopefully power is tapped at the factory to make dealer installation easier, but I doubt I'll be so lucky.

If not, is there a recommended place to tap power for it, or is the standard distribution block off of the batter the best/easiest way?

Thanks!

M
You don't run any additional wiring, just the harness for the sub. The power comes from the factory radio harness. You connect the ground wire under a screw in the hatch area.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member

Would ordering the sub online and then bringing it into the dealer for installation save me some money?

Same goes for springs...
Old 10-03-2004, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MovinVan
Would ordering the sub online and then bringing it into the dealer for installation save me some money?

Same goes for springs...
Probably not, since the dealer will try to charge you as much as possible for installation since you bought the parts elsewhere. There are a few people on the board who ordered springs online and can't find anybody to install them cheaply. I would recommend you contact your dealer and negotiate an installed price for both the subwoofer and springs. You'll probably get a better deal that way.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jason, you talk as if you've installed the sub... did you order it from them and install it yourself? Any details on how hard that was?

Honestly what do you think about it? You say it's better than the basslink and a bazooka tube, and that's good. But can you really feel it?

I was gonna put a whole box in ...but nowadays for practibility's sake, the fact that it sits all molded on the side there is very attractive to me... I'm not a highschooler anymore. I just want some more bass.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheBigGuyRy
Jason, you talk as if you've installed the sub... did you order it from them and install it yourself? Any details on how hard that was?

Honestly what do you think about it? You say it's better than the basslink and a bazooka tube, and that's good. But can you really feel it?

I was gonna put a whole box in ...but nowadays for practibility's sake, the fact that it sits all molded on the side there is very attractive to me... I'm not a highschooler anymore. I just want some more bass.
My Installation How-To

Yes, you can feel it. It feels like a 10" ported-box sub with an acceptable amount of power. Put it this way, I have the gain set at the factory recommended level (in the middle) and I have the bass turned back to -4 on the head unit. On bassier music, I find myself turning it back to -5. I haven't tried plugging the port on the box, as I've found the sound to be generally good as is (if I plugged the port it should tighten it up a little at the expense of volume.)

I bought it from McGeorge.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would it be possible to use the bazooka enclosure and amp but just swap out the woofer? I saw a good deal on some Infinity Kappa's and was wondering if the amp would be strong enought for it, if it would fit, and if it would sound right. Or do you think that box is designed specifically for the bazooka woofer?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member

Default aftermarket kenwood 815

Would the factory sub work with an aftermarket kenwood? I am going to have a normal wire kit run to the back of the car (power,remote,ground, and preamps). I was planning on getting the factory sub but I need to know that I can hook it up this way as I am going to have an aftermarket headunit....Any thoughts?