2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC vs Celica GTS vs Corolla XRS

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC vs Celica GTS vs Corolla XRS

Before buying the 05 xB, I drove the tC Auto. It seemed like a nice car, but not as quick as I thought.

If someone wanted power, handling and fuel economy, what's the best of these 3? (Or you can throw in the Civic Si if you want).

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-17-2017 at 04:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-29-2004, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Think it has been done before on this forum. Do a search. Also you can go to Edmunds.com and compare the cars. Don't think the tC can match the Celica GTS but if you wait for the SuperCharger later this year, the tC should surpass the GTS.

Kevin
Old 09-29-2004, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC wasn't as quick as you thought - so you bought an XB? :?
Old 09-29-2004, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member

^yeah, that struck me as strange also.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think all three (GTS, XRS, tC) have almost the same quarter mile runs, maybe slightly different 0-60... some one correct me if I'm wrong (with accurate information not "I'm a smartass" information)
Old 09-29-2004, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I decided on an XB because it was faster than the TC. (Just kidding).

I ended up with the XB as a trade off to get the xtra room. If the TC Auto was quick enough, I would have ended up with it. Now, as I ponder my decision and the avail of the Corolla XRS, I am just thinking......
Old 09-29-2004, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by craigferriter
I decided on an XB because it was faster than the TC. (Just kidding).

I ended up with the XB as a trade off to get the xtra room. If the TC Auto was quick enough, I would have ended up with it. Now, as I ponder my decision and the avail of the Corolla XRS, I am just thinking......
Got it.

I sat in a friends XB...the amount of room in that thing is incredible...From the outside it looks like you could only get a couple of watermelons inside...it's like an optical illusion. :D
Old 09-29-2004, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

iam steadfast in my decision about the tc.. granite the xrs has 10 more ponies then the tc i think the tc is a better buy plus the price is the best
Old 09-29-2004, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i think the celica gts outperforms all those cars. the only problem with it, is its price
Old 09-29-2004, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

my 02 cents.. the gts is overpriced and its not any better then the tc.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: TC vs Celica GTS vs Corolla XRS

Originally Posted by craigferriter
Before buying the 05 XB, I drove the TC Auto. It seemed like a nice car, but not as quick as I thought.

If someone wanted power, handling and fuel economy, what's the best of these 3? (Or you can throw in the Civic si if you want).
I guess the Civic Si would be the best bet for fuel economy. Toyotas aren't known for fuel economy, and although the Celica and XRS are rated slightly higher than the tC, I believe you'd get similar MPG. The Si should get higher MPG than all of them.

For power, the tC has more torque than the rest, but only ties the Si for HP, and has 10 less than the XRS and 20 less than the Celica. 0-60, the Celica wins, but the other three are really close. The torque advantage of the tC makes it easier to use the power than in the other cars. (You can't really compare an auto tC to other cars with manuals, especially since the auto tC has much higher gearing than the 5-speed.)

Handling, the Celica wins again. The Si is probably very good. I don't know much about the XRS. I like my tC's handling, especially with the TRD springs. One thing about the tC that the other's can't match is the smoothness of the ride. Also, the tC has a longer wheelbase which really makes it feel like a larger car on longer trips.

If you want a sports car, get a Celica GTS or Civic Si. If you need four doors and want something with a good deal of power, get the XRS. If you want good performance, a smooth ride with a very European-feeling sport suspension and lots of room all wrapped up in a stylish coupe, get the tC.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's exactly why a bought a Matrix XRS :D interior space and a celica engine!

But then I said to hell with all the horsepower, I don't race anybody anyway! I like to cruise.... So I traded it in for and xB

-THE DON
Old 09-29-2004, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Celica GTS is faster stock for stock against the tC and the Corolla XRS. Weight, chassis, and engine are the factors.

The Corolla XRS uses the same 2ZZ-GE engine from the GTS. Those things are rev-happy engines that produce power at high ends. The "G" designation in the engine code shows that it's a performance engine. From my point of view, Toyota figures that the tC and the XRS will replace the Celica here in the US.

The tC uses the 2AZ-FE, which is the efficient engine "F" in Camrys. This engine is designed for mid range power, not top end, so it's better for daily use.

For the factors you've mentioned, I'd go with the Celica GTS, since it's fast, light, and handles very well. For normal daily use with some fun for weekends, I'd go with the tC, and to a lesser extent, the XRS.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it all depends on what you want. the gts is the sportier of the three cars but its overpriced compared to what's out there. the tC has the perfect balance of sport, luxury and price. the corolla is a corolla with the gts motor and tranny. its another civic si, just because you put a performance motor it doesn't make it a sports car.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: TC vs Celica GTS vs Corolla XRS

Originally Posted by JasonH
I guess the Civic Si would be the best bet for fuel economy. Toyotas aren't known for fuel economy, and although the Celica and XRS are rated slightly higher than the tC, I believe you'd get similar MPG. The Si should get higher MPG than all of them.
Here you go

Civic Si - 26/31mpg
Celica GTS - 24/33mpg
Corolla XRS - 25/32mpg
tC - 23/29mpg :oops:

sourced from Yahoo autos
Old 09-29-2004, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

last i checked toyota has the most vehicles that get 30 or more miles to the gallon. plus they have the prius, xb and xa.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyotas aren't known for fuel economy
well, toyota just won some award for having the best overall gas mileage average per vehicle.....
Old 09-29-2004, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reppindaTC
my 02 cents.. the gts is overpriced and its not any better then the tc.
+ IMO tc looks better, celica and corolla r kinda girl cars.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't even consider the corolla. I don't like the way it looks.
Now, the celica gts and manual tc are very close 0-60, but given the the gts's HP advantage, it should be better. I really like the gts, but one of the major reasons I prefer the tc is is the wide torqe band. The gts is quick, but it doens't feel quick, just like the RSX type s. When I drove the rsx on the freeway, I had to downshift 2 gears to pass someone, and it was still slow at that. The tC has very good 50-80 times (freeway passing speed) due to the wide torque band.

Also, I know there are alot of mods for the gts already, but I think there is more room for improvement with the tc since it's not working so hard with high revs to begin with. The gts just sounds like it's stressing out!
Old 09-29-2004, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 2 cents:

The engine in the GTS and corolla is a rev-happy motor, it has had problems,
or has caused problems. Personally I dont like its nature, it has too narrow
of a range between going on the 2nd set of cams and the rev limiter. If thats
what you like then it comes down to need for 4 doors .vs. handling/cost.

The Tc is a totally different beast, bigger torquer motor, quite a bit heavier
curb weight, and a lot cheaper then a GTS. I would guess a GTS would eat a Tc up on a road coarse. Iordered my Tc because the formula of large motor/heavy car has usually meant getting a very reliable Toyota (which I want). If I want to eat corners I have a MR2 turbo and that definitely handles the GTS stock .vs. stock

Tim Plessing
Columbia, MD

1990 celica turbo alltrac - grey/grey cloth - 123K - For sale
1990 celica turbo alltrac - blue/blue cloth - 152K - Under restoration
1993 MR2 turbo - SMG/black leather - 138K - SOLD
1993 MR2 turbo - blue/black leather - 57K
2005 Scion Tc - On order

Quick Reply: tC vs Celica GTS vs Corolla XRS