Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tCs suck in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the key is better tires. When I took my rims off and put the steel wheels on, meaning I went from my Nittos to the Stock Yoko's, holy shhh, it was spin city for me. Get better tires.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:19 PM
SL Member

in agreement with just about half the people here....although the tc might be a little harder to drive in the rain, it shouldn't be an excuse to be spinning all the time. even with stock tires.

finesse!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've personally never had a problem with my tC in the rain-- i mean, not like it rains all that much in socal, but when it does rain, I've never had an issue, whether on streets or freeway, day or night-
Old 12-07-2007, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I really have grown a higher appreciation for the Rear TRD Sway because of the rain. The car is now very balanced. Turn smoothly, sharply countersteer while abrutly cutting throttle (lift throttle oversteer), down shift, point in the wheel in the desired direction and apply maximum throttle. 4 wheel (I guess technically only 3) at its best. It's a ton of fun on deserted freeway on ramps. The car is very predictable and controllable, as before with the stock bar it would bounce and swing and pitch and dive in an unpredictable and uncontrollable fashion.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ the TRD rear sway makes a tremendous improvement in handling, I agree.

It makes the car more fun to drive, but more importantly, I think it would help in a higher speed emergency maneuver type of situation.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you want your car to drive well in the rain?

Hoosier Radial Wet

=]
Old 12-07-2007, 03:55 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2fast4you
tCs don't suck in the rain. Most issues are due to lack of driver skill and driver error. Tires do have some affect, but if you know what their limitations are, you can adjust. I didn't have an issues on Potenzas in the rain and I don't have any with Falken RT 615 with less than 50% tread left.
PLUS! RT-615's aren't meant for wet weather, you'll have a huge issue autoxing or even daily driving with them in the rain, they're just mean to the dry pavement... GREAT tires i must say though! they get stickier the more you wear them down. but if you're a good driver, you can manage driving with whatever tire you've go...rain or shine
Old 12-07-2007, 03:59 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RodC
I don't think that any cars suck in the rain more than any others. Cars are designed for both dry and wet conditions, but they will always perform better in the dry. When it gets wet, you just have to drive a bit slower and less aggressively. When it's wet, you will always be operating closer to the edge of losing control, so you need to know where the limitations lie.

I recommend that everyone goes to an empty parking lot on a rainy day and discovers the limitations of their cars in the wet. Find out how much gas is enough to break traction, and find out how fast you have to take a corner in order to spin out. Once you know how much is too much, then you will be a better driver on the road because you will know your limits.
or better yet, autox! you'll find all your limitations there, both the cars limitations and what you need to work on as a driver
Old 12-07-2007, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: tCs suck in the rain

Originally Posted by cwayne
crappy stock tires + low gears + torque motor = spinners
well thats your problem! i had the same thing until i took those stock crappies off, those tires are horrible!

its funny when you get someone in your car and you chirp the tires all the way up to 4th gear, and they are like "oh man this thing is fast"

my reply is always : SURE IS!
Old 12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
I really have grown a higher appreciation for the Rear TRD Sway because of the rain. The car is now very balanced. Turn smoothly, sharply countersteer while abrutly cutting throttle (lift throttle oversteer), down shift, point in the wheel in the desired direction and apply maximum throttle. 4 wheel (I guess technically only 3) at its best. It's a ton of fun on deserted freeway on ramps. The car is very predictable and controllable, as before with the stock bar it would bounce and swing and pitch and dive in an unpredictable and uncontrollable fashion.
TOTALLY AGREE! rear sway bar was one of THE BEST purchases ive ever made for the car, actually practically the only big purchase aside from tires that i really make. there are a few more things that could be upgraded to help the handling and reducing that understeer and stability when turning, but the rear sway bar and of course better tires are probably tied for #1 in my list.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I recently moved to Seattle from San Diego and the first time I got in a freeway on ramp in the rain, I punched the gas as usually and instantly spun out and started moving sidways almost into the guardrail! Dumbass! Since then I just take it easy in the rain and the car is awesome. I have TRD springs but sounds like I need to get the sway bar! Gotta keep modding.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

If you know how to launch, you've only got about 70 lb-ft of torque with a proper launch. I never spin em unless I actually try. So like everyone else has said, driver error.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
tCs don't suck in the rain...
the tires do....

moral of story?

change your tires if you're so damn unhappy.

instead of whining.. do something about it.
or maybe if he didn't try to "launch" from every light he wouldn't have a problem..and if he didn't slam gears when shifting
Old 12-07-2007, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, its really not that hard to just drive in the rain. Its not like traffic moves at race track speeds. The OE S32A's do suck, but its just as simple as being smooth on the gas, break and steering.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by beedee
the tires do....

moral of story?

well said. if the OP is aware of all the torque, maybe he should adjust his driving style so his car doesn't "suck" in the rain.

i love my tC, rain or shine.
LOL i think the only thing the OP is aware of is how much he sucks.... but then again i dnt think hes aware of that either learn how to drive i had no problem in the rain OR snow with stock tires :shrugs: oh well the perks of being a ricer huh cwayne
Old 12-07-2007, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well my suggestion would be to buy a really old station wagon with like 50 horses and 45 TQ problem SOLVES!!! oh and put a huge wing on it for rear down force!!!!

HAHA but no i deal with rain alot here in FL.. i like driving in the rain its fun and makes you or well me a better driver... its easy to brake loose the tires in the rain you can do that with any car..

you shift slowly and smooth and not "launch" then your fine...
Old 12-07-2007, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
Originally Posted by beedee
the tires do....

moral of story?

well said. if the OP is aware of all the torque, maybe he should adjust his driving style so his car doesn't "suck" in the rain.

i love my tC, rain or shine.
LOL i think the only thing the OP is aware of is how much he sucks.... but then again i dnt think hes aware of that either learn how to drive i had no problem in the rain OR snow with stock tires :shrugs: oh well the perks of being a ricer huh cwayne
Haha, I didn't even realize this was his thread, didn't see the avatar with the 2 year old joke in it.

Happy BDay Btw.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

thx man :D
Old 12-07-2007, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

happy bday man

I too will swear by the rear sway. Huge improvement in handling. But the rain thing does come back to tires. My Avon Tech M550's are by no mean autox tires since they are all seasons, but since I didnt have a separate set, they got autox'd this summer, and while doing good on the dry, they rocked on the wet. I was seeing times barely slower in the rain... and I mean standing rain on the track. The avons are some of the better (And cheaper) all seasons I have run in the dry, but they truly impress in the rain. But next season will definitely be on Azenis during autox events
Old 12-08-2007, 06:56 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
happy bday man

I too will swear by the rear sway. Huge improvement in handling. But the rain thing does come back to tires. My Avon Tech M550's are by no mean autox tires since they are all seasons, but since I didnt have a separate set, they got autox'd this summer, and while doing good on the dry, they rocked on the wet. I was seeing times barely slower in the rain... and I mean standing rain on the track. The avons are some of the better (And cheaper) all seasons I have run in the dry, but they truly impress in the rain. But next season will definitely be on Azenis during autox events

all seasons are really not ideal for autox, i used to run on the pirelli pzero neros on the 18" Enkei Super 7's before i bent all four of them, what crap they were at autox when i first started, granted that they did better in the dry than the rain of course. after those i then went to regular street tires Yuckyhama S32A (heheh yoko's really arent too bad though to be honest) on the stock 17's, still a regular street tire that sucked when it came to autoxing, but the wheel size made a pretty good difference, and now im on Yuckyhama ES100's which im not complaining too much about, plus i uped to 225/45 instead of 215/40, but Azenis are ideal when it comes to autox no doubt! very sticky and great performance for the price, extremely horrible in wet conditions compared to any other street tire out there pretty much

in the rain the limitations for tires are greatly decreased, autoxing in the rain is fun but also not fun, because YUP you end up with really slow times compared to when it was dry. driving everyday is pretty much the same concept, when its dry you can drive normally, speed limit or above, or more aggressively because your tires got a lot more grip (without taking in to consideration how fast you're taking a turn and the tires limitations when it comes to driving really aggressive), but when it rains, snows or if there's ice its time to slow down and not ask so much of your tires, you've pretty much gotta change the way you're driving, tires are wayyy less grippy and you can easily lose it, you've gotta be careful especially out on the street, track/autox wutever thats fine to mess around but when you're on the street thats a whole different story.

BTW happy birthday right before 12 midnight dave dave

Quick Reply: tCs suck in the rain