Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

A tip for new owners... way to save money.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member

Default A tip for new owners... way to save money.

The excitement of buying a new car and thinking of mods can easily obscure one's better judgement... especially younger drivers who've only had 1 or 2 new cars in their lives.

Just a suggestion... keep your car, AS-IS for 3-4 months before you start modding it.

Why? By the time the excitement of owning a neat new car has set in, and the car becomes less of a thing to show-off and more simply just transportation to get from point A to point B, you may realize that spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on modding the car is far lower in priority.

The car is a damn good car from the factory. Hopefully by letting the novelty of the new car wear off, you'll appreciate it for what it is: a car.. that you will spend most of your time in driving like a normal car. A car that won't benefit realistically from 5 or even 25 more HP.

Sure, after the excitement wears down, you may have the desire to make your car unique in some way, but for 95+% of you... that need not require hundreds or thousands of dollars.

There are far more important things to save and spend money on. After all... for MOST of us.. it is just transportation, not a show entry or art medium.

Discipline yourself. WAIT a while before you start dumping money into an already nice car. Once the excitement wears off, you will thank yourself that you have the money to spend on something else.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My dad told me the same thing @ 10-12 years ago. (He was right)
Old 07-06-2005, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he's probably getting married or something thats why he's saying that. lets all just face if you got the cash and you want to mod just do it. ....... .......wait a minute i work this guy he is getting married !!!!!!!!!dont bring us down we love our cars..but thats a good advice though
Old 07-06-2005, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jeeze, If you like your car stock, thats great. but modding for me is a way to make that new car feeling last and last. I've had my car since october 04 and have a few nice mods, and the excitement has not worn off, it has built up! Yes people should save their money, AND yes people should mod their car if it makes them happy.
to each his own
Old 07-06-2005, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL where do you get your statistics? If people want to pour money into their cars, let them.... it's not your money they're spending. I agree with waiting to mod but for different reasons.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
everyone save your money and help put an end to world hunger.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had my car about 7 months now and my excitement has not reduced one bit with this car, don't think it ever will.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its more of a hobby thing.. thats why people mod their cars... good advice tho
Old 07-06-2005, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member

To me it not about spending money, its about personalization of your property. Its like buying a picture for your living room. You can do without it, but its a nice touch.[/url]
Old 07-06-2005, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree about the hobby thing
Old 07-06-2005, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why not ad mods to your car? Scions have great array of choices in aftermarket parts. If you don't want a car to mod, buy a Buick.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Emo
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol...

I third on the hobby thing... before I was into modding my PC.. and now cars took their place..

But I gotta ask.. when you walk away from your car, do you look back to admire it? cuz I do.. lol I can't help it

-Emo
Old 07-06-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Emo
I third on the hobby thing... before I was into modding my PC.. and now cars took their place..
This is your PC, isn't it?

Old 07-06-2005, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

".......If you don't want a car to mod, buy a Buick......"

Hey! I resemble that remark
Actually I DO have a Buick - and it doesn't need mods. Its a '90 Reatta (one of about 25,000 manufactured from '88-'91)
And, it turns heads just as it is. Including those of kids. But their probably thinking about 18" rims, super chargers, noisy exhaust

Some cars just don't NEED mods - that said, if you can afford it, and you want to do it, by all means - Get 'er Done. I love the pics of what many of you have done with your xBs particularly. Wheels, graphics, paint, and front-end treatments just set your cars apart.

At the same time - don't forget to save - or you'll end up with my retirement plan.....
.....that is - TO KEEP WORKING!!!! But at least I don't stress about how its going to happen anymore
Old 07-06-2005, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Emo
lol...

But I gotta ask.. when you walk away from your car, do you look back to admire it? cuz I do.. lol I can't help it

-Emo

i agree.. i was so into modding my pc.. to me its all about being the best! run the best program!! but now its been a year and i dont pay attention to my pc... im paying attention to my tC
Old 07-06-2005, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member

i like his advice
Old 07-06-2005, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your advice sucks.

You only live once.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Banned
SL Member

hmmm
Old 07-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Banned
SL Member

hmmm
Old 07-06-2005, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it really depends on the customer, thats why there are options. Some people will not have the time or money to come back to scion to purchase options, some rather wrap it all into one easy payment and be done with it. I know this guy was trying to give some advice but I think that everybody that buys a car thinks about what they want to spend and takes that into consideration so thanks but no thanks and Im glad he got the car HE wanted so let everyone else get the car that they want...

Quick Reply: A tip for new owners... way to save money.