Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

TRD Supercharger = Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 07:13 PM
titanium balls

Default TRD Supercharger = Disaster

Think about it, folks... you're gonna have obese, middle-aged men in the service department who will have zero experience doing such jobs. I mean, shouldn't such a task be left to the so-called tuner shops? People w/ actual experience and enthusiasm for the job? It's gonna result in a LOT of problems and warranty fighting w/ Scion.

Old 10-22-2004, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

moved.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

kinda depends, because it will be covered under the 5 year 60k powertrain warranty. also, the techs have to go through training to install it. and finally, a supercharger is sort of a bolt on affair isnt it?
Old 10-22-2004, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Toyota techs been installing superchargers on Tundras, Tacomas and Solaras
Old 10-22-2004, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most mechanics I know are simply tuners with jobs. :D
Old 10-22-2004, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Bolt ons such as superchargers are not that difficult, especially for a trained mechanic who does annoying jobs like timing belt changes all day.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Each Toyta/Scion dealership has 2 or more serveicmen who are trained on all aspects of Scions. Everything from engine to electrical to body work (i.e. ground effects). They will be soon, if not already, traned on installing the supercharger.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:42 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SuperCharger install??

When you have the S/C installed by the dealer you receive an extended warranty for the length of your power train warranty. 5 years and 60,000 miles. The warranty covers parts and labor if you ever have a problem.

When it is installed by a non dealer technician, your warranty is a parts only, 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty.

Regardless of how much experience a particular dealer has, the bottom line is that they are responsible for installing it correctly and you have TRD behind you if they don't.

The $5.00 you might save is not worth the lack of support and the loss of that length of a warranty. IMO

Ken
Old 10-22-2004, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by florencescion
Each Toyta/Scion dealership has 2 or more serveicmen who are trained on all aspects of Scions. Everything from engine to electrical to body work (i.e. ground effects). They will be soon, if not already, traned on installing the supercharger.
Doesn't mean they'll be the ones working on your car...
Old 10-22-2004, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Ok this is the most naive statement I have ever heard you automatically assume that all technicians are fat old guys most nowadays are young people who are into tuning so that sounds like the perfect place to get it done... and besides what tuner shop will give you that good of a warranty?
Old 10-22-2004, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scion909
Toyota techs been installing superchargers on Tundras, Tacomas and Solaras
Yea, roots type... unbolt manifold, bolt on S/C... I bet anything that there will be a few messed up installs on the TRD S/C for the tC... It's a Vortech unit, something these tech's will not be familiar with.

Anyhow, I hope it works out.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tckurt
Ok this is the most naive statement I have ever heard you automatically assume that all technicians are fat old guys most nowadays are young people who are into tuning so that sounds like the perfect place to get it done... and besides what tuner shop will give you that good of a warranty?
If you follow Titanium ***** post history, He just goes around ____ing on peoples foreheads. Forget him.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: TRD Supercharger = Disaster

Originally Posted by titanium *****
Think about it, folks... you're gonna have obese, middle-aged men in the service department who will have zero experience doing such jobs. I mean, shouldn't such a task be left to the so-called tuner shops? People w/ actual experience and enthusiasm for the job? It's gonna result in a LOT of problems and warranty fighting w/ Scion.
no and i'll tell you why

Toyota technicians know how your car works, tuners don't tuners just tune the cars the Techs go to school and do this for a living. thats like telling a Tech that was working for Toyota for 25 years and telling him or her "you cannot work on this Scion xB because you have no experence" thats a ton of BS. As a Past BMW tech i know when a new car comes in someone does the work on it and some people watch and learn. being a technician and learning never stops. when the new 7 series BMW came out i didnt touch one untill a month later now i know more about the 7 series V8 and V12 better than the techs that wen't to a two week school on the car. If Toyota USA comes out with a product and it is for sale through the dealership. the techs will watch a video or go to school and learn how the product works. Yeah Tuners may know how the car works through reading instructions and experence. but the Toyota Techs actually go to school for it. This Post ____ed me off so bad. ........ . . . . ..
Old 10-22-2004, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member

Default Yeah, right.

Tuner Shops have their place, no doubt. But if the choice is between having a Tuner Shop install a supercharger (and no warranty) and a Toyota dealer installing the same item (with) a warranty, I'd go to the Toyota dealer EVERY time.

As in everything in life, you pays your money, and you takes your chances.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member

Old Guys working on your car,what a stupid statement. I am almost 40 and I have one of the first XBs that were shipped here, I waited for for almost a year for the call when they arrived in port. Tuners have to be young? that only means they have (A LOT OF KNOWLEDGE TO LEARN). Do some reaserch and find out the hundreds of races that TRD is responsible for winning and you will find out that most of the TRD (tuners) have a lilttle grey hair.

Superchargers and turbos have been around since your grandparents were babies

YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM ARE NO MATCH FOR AGE AND TREACHERY
Old 10-24-2004, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member

Old Guys working on your car,what a stupid statement. I am almost 40 and I have one of the first XBs that were shipped here, I waited for for almost a year for the call when they arrived in port. Tuners have to be young? that only means they have (A LOT OF KNOWLEDGE TO LEARN). Do some reaserch and find out the hundreds of races that TRD is responsible for winning and you will find out that most of the TRD (tuners) have a lilttle grey hair.

Old 10-24-2004, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member