Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Update: 1st to 2nd gear shift when car is cold...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member

Default Update: 1st to 2nd gear shift when car is cold...

A little while ago I posted to a thread that my tC was making a grinding, clunky noise when shifting the car from 1st to 2nd when it was cold (i.e. when I first started the car in the morning). I finally took it to the dealership day before yesterday and had them diagnose the problem. They called me yesterday and told me they would be changing the transmission!!! I asked them what they found and I was told that they weren't sure what was wrong because they didn't open up the transmission, they were just told to replace it (who told them to replace it...I don't know).

I just wanted to share this with everyone out there in case you are having the same problem. I was kind of shocked when they were so willing to replace the transmission so quickly. I am wondering if Scion knows there is a problem with some of the manual transmissions and has told all dealerships to just replace the faulty transmissions.

Well, good luck to everyone!
Old 11-25-2004, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

it takes less time to just replace it than to troubleshoot and fix a fualty part. They just dont feel like messing with it.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So are they giving you a complementary Rental car in the mean time?

because i am having this issue as well, and it's annoying not only does it happen when the car is cold, it happens when you are shifting from 1st to 2nd at a higher RPM...almost everytime, I am going to have a ride with the tech first thing in the morning. So we'll see what he thinks.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member

I actually ended up trading in my tC a few weeks ago for a new 2005 VW GTI 1.8T. I have always enjoyed VW's and had a VW Golf before the Scion (I should never have traded it in...even with the quirky German engineering).

As far as the Scion dealership, they did give me a rental car when they changed the transmission. But, even after the transmission was replaced, it still would grind from 1st to 2nd during the cold mornings (not as bad as before, but still there). I brought it back again and the dealership told me they called Scion headquarters in California and were told this was normal. I was told to let the car warm up in the morning before I drove it. This is when I decided that I needed to get rid of the car. I have never heard of a car manufacturer producing a car that needs to be warmed up in order for it to function properly. Maybe in a few years Scion will work all of the bugs out of the car. It's a shame though, it is one of the sweetest looking cars out there!

Well, good luck with your tC. I really hope they are able to fix it!
Old 11-04-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EDIT: Eh, I was angry when I posted this originally, just needed to vent. Yea, I might be selling my car for school issues anyway. But I have not had a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd, at least not yet. (knock on wood). I agree with finding the right RPM to shift, it helps. So, I guess I'll say I'm sorry too.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed this on my Matrix XRS as well as my Tacoma. It would almost REFUSE to go into second when cold. This, however, was when I was in extreme cold(like 15 degrees and below).
As far as what tCb00b stated, EVERYONE I have talked to say that the best way to warm up the car is to DRIVE it. And I was not HARD on it, just trying to drive normally.
This may not be the same problem you are having, but just a heads up. It takes a few minutes to get the THICK gear oil to warm up and circulate. Once mine warmed up, it was fine.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't forget, the gearing on the tC is fairly aggressive. 1st and 2nd are pretty quick for a car like this. Shifting into these gears are bound to be rougher than on many other cars.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Synthetic gear oil can't hurt either
Old 11-04-2005, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I appreciate your post "1stSciontC" all this time I thought it was me that couldn't shift right since my tC is my first manual car. I'm taking my car to the dealer this weekend for 5000 mile service and I'll ask them to check it out. I always warm my car in the morning for about 5-10 mins before I leave and that shift between 1st and 2nd always produce this grinding and clunk sound. Never a smooth shift for me from 1st to 2nd, only ocassionally.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok well i took my tC in the shop this morning for this issue and also the "Service Campaign" so we'll see what happens. It was funny though as soon as i started describing it...one of the tech's said O THE SYNCHROS..i was like YEAH FIXEM LOL. So we'll see what happens.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tCb00b
Only hamfisted morons beat their cars when they are cold. Ask any engineer, the metal parts work best when they have reached proper operating temperature. BMW has a sequential rev limiter on their (E39) M5 so you cant run it to peak rpms as soon as you start it. Clap (Just an example of a company saying "let it warm up first") Unfortunately I do not know enough about the subject to explain it in detail. But before you bash a company for their product you should think about it first. And I know this thread just adds to the hate that this site is sometimes a victim of. I'm sorry, I'm just tried of hearing all the people _____ing about their cars. Just drive the damn thing. I would hate to see these people with newborns. ha. Flame on!

I don't remember saying I beat on my car when it was cold tCbOOb. What I am saying, is that I would let my car warm up for a few minutes then shift normally and it would still grind. I never would redline it cold, then try to shift and expect it to be smooth. I understand that the gear oil (not "metal parts", as you stated) in the transaxle needs to warm up before it shifts optimally. Also, I don't understand why you think I should "settle" for a car that obviously has some bugs that need to be worked out. That's fine if you want to, but I feel all Scion owners should hear about the problems other Scion owners are having. If nobody where to complain about these problems, Scion would never know that these problems need to be resolved. Lastly, I am not "bashing" Scion. Like I said, after a few years, when all the bugs are worked out, the tC will be a sweet ride. Until then, I think people should voice their displease so Scion will fix these bugs. Bascially, what I am trying to say is that maybe you are the one who should think before you speak (or in this case, write).
Old 11-04-2005, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

letting a car idle for warm up is not necessary (unless it's extremely cold, that's another issue). while the car is sitting there not moving, the only parts getting warmed is the engine.

1st gear not shifting smoothly into 2nd, that's a synchronizer problem in the gear box I think. if not, then the driver needs to change the shifting RPM to find the sweet spot.

if all else fales, double clutch.