Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

AT v. Stick - 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default AT v. Stick - 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

I placed my deposit and am patiently waiting for my IIP AT to arrive. In the mean time I am having second thoughts about getting the AT and may change the order to a stick.
I have not seen any 0-60 times for the AT. The reviewers indicate only that it is not as quick as the stick. Has anyone run any times on the AT acceleration and if so, can you post the various times up to 60 and the 1/4 mile? Likewise for the manual? Thanks.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

usually .3-.5 seconds slower, its been discussed

0-60 time is 7.5 or something and qtr is 15.7
Old 09-14-2004, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member

Default 0-60

would probably agree with Jake.
Some peopole have said that AT is 1.0 second slower 0-60 but I would say that my AT stock was less than 8.0 for 0-60. Haven't officially timed it but with the high flow filter and TRD exhaust I think that I can run an optimistic low 7s. Will dyno and time when I find a place to do this.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for ssure...with a good auto driver....(and yes there are bad auto drivers) i think the diff for 0 - 60 times would be about half a second...jake seems about right...i wish some magazines did some real tests...o well...i guess we gatta find out for ourselves.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have any interest in racing, why would you buy an automatic? Unless it is specifically built for dragging, you will end up blowing the damn thing and either replacing it or going through the hell of getting a half-___ rebuild.

Automatics are for transporational vehicles, and for people who don't know how to drive a manual. And don't throw the heavy traffic deal at me; I sit in bumper to bumper DC traffic every Mon-Fri. The inconvenience of driving a stick to and from work does not outweigh the frustration of having an automatic transmission.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skywalker
Automatics are for transporational vehicles, and for people who don't know how to drive a manual. And don't throw the heavy traffic deal at me; I sit in bumper to bumper DC traffic every Mon-Fri. The inconvenience of driving a stick to and from work does not outweigh the frustration of having an automatic transmission.
And the frustration of having an automatic transmission would be?
Old 09-16-2004, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TrafficinLA
Auto's are boring! I drive in bumper to bumper every morning and evening, and I wouldn't trade it for an auto... I've driven auto cars for 8 years and needed a change.

One thing I like about standard tranny's is that in traffic, I don't get dosy because I have to clutch and shift a lot.

Plus, it just feels better to be able to shift at the right point, instead of having the auto upshift and downshift at the slightest tap of throttle. I like being able to control it.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and there again.. everyone is different and everyone likes different things.. for you.. a manual is the way to go.. other's like automatics.. it's their car.. i think they get to enjoy it the way they like is one better over another? it's all perspective..

back to the originial post.. instead of what trans is better.. wasn't the original question.. the original question was a/t 0-60 times.. anyone have any? anything published yet?
Old 09-16-2004, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
and there again.. everyone is different and everyone likes different things.. for you.. a manual is the way to go.. other's like automatics.. it's their car.. i think they get to enjoy it the way they like is one better over another? it's all perspective..

back to the originial post.. instead of what trans is better.. wasn't the original question.. the original question was a/t 0-60 times.. anyone have any? anything published yet?
Yeah, it is perspective...

Here's Car&Driver's dyno run for standard. Anyone have an automatic dyno run?
Old 09-16-2004, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by leonDB

Car&Driver doesn't do dyno runs. If you mean 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, yes, they do those.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by JasonH
Originally Posted by leonDB

Car&Driver doesn't do dyno runs. If you mean 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, yes, they do those.
:oops: Oops, yeah, I meant 1/4.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not having complete control over the vehicle; not being able to do major performance mods w/out blowing the damn tranny; having to replace the tranny after time, or because of aggressive driving or racing; additional weight.

The worst part of driving a manual in heavy traffic is constantly having to downshift because the people in front of you driving auto's are riding their damn brakes.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't see that driving a manual is any different from an automatic in bumper to bumper traffic. I commute 30 miles every day in bumper to bumper traffic and if you don't tailgate, then you don't have to stop. I don't know why people feel the need to be 2 inches from the other person's bumper. If you just slow down, you'll probably get where you want by the time the people in front of you start moving again.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not having complete control over the vehicle; not being able to do major performance mods w/out blowing the damn tranny; having to replace the tranny after time, or because of aggressive driving or racing; additional weight.

The worst part of driving a manual in heavy traffic is constantly having to downshift because the people in front of you driving auto's are riding their damn brakes.
So what you're telling me is that you pretty much use your car for racing or aggressive driving purposes rather than a "transporational" vehicle. Most people use their cars to commute or to get them from A to B. Do they need major performance mods? Are you racing when you're in traffic or are you just trying to transport yourself?

Posts with times for AT and MT show that auto is slower. But unless you're taking the car to the track or street-racing, the difference will not matter in normal driving.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

People always seem to forget that the majority of your drag racers use autos or semi-autos. How many '57 Belairs with blown 454s do you see with a manual? And they push over 1000 hp and over 1000 lftlbs torque and can do the quarter faster than most cars can get to 60. Just a point that a manual is not always better than an auto like people seem to think.

Personally, I have no cartilage in either of my knees from being overtrained when I ran track so a manual is not an option for day to day traffic. The only way I would get one anymore is for a sunday driver or maybe a permanent vehicle for autocross but then I wouldn't be looking at a toyota anyway.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member

having a auto is way better than manual in traffic, ive sit though traffic for 2hrs that should be a regular 45min drive.

and this would be stop and go traffic, where i can on my parking brakes for awhile
Old 09-17-2004, 09:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xioix, i see you're from el monte

gotta love the 60 and 10 freeways.

I commute on the 5 south to Glendale and 101 west to Woodland Hills daily, and the traffic can get pretty gritty there, too[/quote]
Old 09-17-2004, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what you're telling me is that you pretty much use your car for racing or aggressive driving purposes rather than a "transporational" vehicle. Most people use their cars to commute or to get them from A to B. Do they need major performance mods? Are you racing when you're in traffic or are you just trying to transport yourself?
Not at all. My initial argument was that if you are buying the car for racing and are concerned with 1/4 mile times, you should NOT have bought an automatic. If it's to get you from point A to point B, then it should just be a matter of personal preference.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by simplespirit
People always seem to forget that the majority of your drag racers use autos or semi-autos. How many '57 Belairs with blown 454s do you see with a manual? And they push over 1000 hp and over 1000 lftlbs torque and can do the quarter faster than most cars can get to 60. Just a point that a manual is not always better than an auto like people seem to think.
That was true 20 years ago. Nowadays, everybody is dragging in any kind of car, from Civics to Neons to Scions. The automatic trannies in these little four-bangers WILL NOT sustain regular drag racing conditions. Hell, autos in most modern imports will not hold much more power than they were built to. I think the only one that has a good chance of surviving is that of the Supra. Once upon a time I had a pretty fast 300ZX TT with automatic, and I blew the damn thing 3 times. I've seen people who refuse to learn stick, who then turbocharge their automatic Civic. Tranny never lasted more than a few weeks. I'm not bashing people who drive autos; just warning those who think they can bump their automatic Scion up to 300HP with no repurcussions. You don't have to believe my testimony. Just do us a favor and post pics when your planetaries are blown to hell, and pieces of your flex plate are found all over the place.

If you are dead serious about racing an automatic Scion, for whatever absurd reason, you will probably end up doing two things:
- Paying 10K or more for a custom built transmission that will sustain the abuse from the power increase, and carry a warranty under racing conditions.
- Search endlessly for a qualified shop that will (1) be interested in filling your request and (2) actually build a bulletproof tranny instead of slapping a quick ____ kit and generic torque converter on it.

Best of luck.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not at all. My initial argument was that if you are buying the car for racing and are concerned with 1/4 mile times, you should NOT have bought an automatic. If it's to get you from point A to point B, then it should just be a matter of personal preference.
You have a point about the 1/4 mile intentions.

Quick Reply: AT v. Stick - 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?