2005-2010 [ANT10]

Venting About Toll Booths

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Maybe they should actually put some design sense to thier toll booths. Many people dont travel the road enough to warrant getting the pass. You would be suprised how many non-locals can be on a given road during the day.

The toll roads around where I used to live stayed pretty busy, but they designed it so it made sense, you simply dont exit towards the booths if you had a "Pike pass". The sensors for it were on the main road, you had to exit to the right to actually go through a booth. If you tried to pass without the window module, it took a picture of your plates and mailed you a $120 ticket. Worked great and you blazed through at 75mph like there wasnt a toll booth there as long as you had the pass.

Sounds like the ones you speak of have a horrible design.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by a_german_named_hans
Only thing worse is when Morons enter the EZ Pass lane who don't have an EZ-Pass.
You're absolutely right about that. I am always looking ahead when i'm approaching the tolls booths to make sure that the car way ahead isnt stopped.

For the guy who said that he travels to ny rarely, it is still worth getting an ezpass, because you stick it on the windshield behind the rearview mirror where you can't see it, and forget about it. If you dont like the way it looks, stick it in the glove compartment. it is free and have and saves you money when you use it. The same amount of time it took you to put up that post is how long it would have taken you to get one. This way, you don't have to wait a half an hour at the toll booth either however scarcely you would. For the rest of your life (since it never expires), you never have to wait at toll booths again!

NYC traffic sure can be bad, you just have to know what times and what places NOT to be on the road. Like 5 o'clock on 95 in greenwich ct, thats suicide. Or 5oclock on the crossbronx, and to make it worse, when there is a yankee game! I try to use my nav system to avoid the really bad spots, but its NYC, like the guy said before, we have about 10million, there is gonna be traffic! But hey, there is only that much traffic b/c it is the best city in the world that offers anything and everything!
Old 12-03-2006, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by engifineer
Maybe they should actually put some design sense to thier toll booths. Many people dont travel the road enough to warrant getting the pass. You would be suprised how many non-locals can be on a given road during the day.

The toll roads around where I used to live stayed pretty busy, but they designed it so it made sense, you simply dont exit towards the booths if you had a "Pike pass". The sensors for it were on the main road, you had to exit to the right to actually go through a booth. If you tried to pass without the window module, it took a picture of your plates and mailed you a $120 ticket. Worked great and you blazed through at 75mph like there wasnt a toll booth there as long as you had the pass.

Absolutely right, the design is of course made by idiots. What you said is so simple yet so brilliant, why cant they all think of that? Sometimes I seriously wonder about the kind of people we have running this place!
Old 12-03-2006, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interesting... I think around here you get about 2-3 "tries" of going through without paying before they send you your pic and a nice ticket.

Of course, if there's a patrolman waiting on the other side, and he sees you running... then you're definitely screwed.

But also I think this might prevent those times when you come to the baskets where people have been stupid and threw something other than change in there... like gum, so that when you throw your money in, it doesn't register! wtf... then you really have no choice but to just go
Old 12-04-2006, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here in the San Francisco bay area, we have the same thing except we call it FasTrak. It works really nice and saves a lot of times at the bridge toll plazas. But the thing that I HATE about it is that there are those people that do not have FasTrak that insist on staying in the FasTrak lane and cutting into the regular toll lanes at the very last minute. So they bypass the long line that regular toll payers have been patiently waiting in, AND they clog the FasTrak lane and slow us down going through the toll plaza. I hate when people break the rules for their own convenience!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by titolito
Here in the San Francisco bay area, we have the same thing except we call it FasTrak. It works really nice and saves a lot of times at the bridge toll plazas. But the thing that I HATE about it is that there are those people that do not have FasTrak that insist on staying in the FasTrak lane and cutting into the regular toll lanes at the very last minute. So they bypass the long line that regular toll payers have been patiently waiting in, AND they clog the FasTrak lane and slow us down going through the toll plaza. I hate when people break the rules for their own convenience!
yep, that is incredibly frustrating!!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EZ Pass all the way!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i plan on gettin one for next show season. lots of NJ shows, and ill either be in NY (LI to be exact, RI, or back in MA... probly LI tho) so ill be goin through tolls like whoa.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea, lots of tolls around here. i guess they need to take more of our money so they can ____ us off by doing nonstop construction in vital zones of highway where there is never anybody actually working!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spect2K3
For the guy who said that he travels to ny rarely, it is still worth getting an ezpass, because you stick it on the windshield behind the rearview mirror where you can't see it, and forget about it. If you dont like the way it looks, stick it in the glove compartment. it is free and have and saves you money when you use it. The same amount of time it took you to put up that post is how long it would have taken you to get one. This way, you don't have to wait a half an hour at the toll booth either however scarcely you would. For the rest of your life (since it never expires), you never have to wait at toll booths again!
absolutely! It's not only for NYC area.... anywhere in the tri-state area uses them from bridges, tunnels, state thruways....... just about anywhere that needs a toll, EZ-pass is usable.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i like stopping and paying. then racing out to get that one spot of highway haha. but seriously it is nice. i dont have it yet, but used my friends.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

lol, i do the same thing after going through the ezpass, there always seems to be a truck coming out of the 20mph ezpass zone a bit ahead of me and I have this thing where I HAVE to beat it, lol...i just hate sooo much being caught behind trucks. Its like 15 lanes merging into 3 or 4, it can be fun hitting the gas!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They only 'design' aspect to the toll-roads down here in the south (Houston) is in regards to money. To get halfway around the entire city on our Beltway, you can hit 1 toll. If you're on the other half of the toll-road, the more popular half, you end up hitting 3 tolls.

Not to mention I hate the idea of our toll-road in general. If it was to pay back the city for building it, fair enough, I can live with that. But our toll-road has been paid for since 1984 and ever since then it collects 380 million dollars a /quarter/. Why don't they take the toll-booths away? Funny enough when the state gave the city the tollroad after it was paid off, they said, "You can take away the toll-booths now since it's paid for." The city said, "Hell no, that's money and we'll find a use for it!" That being said, they'll /never/ go away.. thus I abhor the idea of it.

Course admittedly from what I hear about the North-east.. I'm never moving up there, I just couldn't deal with all the tolls and traffic you guys have. We have EZ Pass down here too but everyone flies through it at 80+ mph. They don't monitor speeds on them and frankly, that's the avg speed of the Beltway so no one sees much sense in slowing down just cause you're going under a censor. Just don't be a moron, pay attention and the speed is fine.

Good luck up there.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It really feels like you're getting ripped off when the keep to toll booths just to fill the pockets of the politicians doesnt it. arghhh
Old 12-04-2006, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thats not the reason why toll booths are around. MTA loses money every year from running the trains and buses, and i dont kno if u kno but MTA is a subsidy, meaning the state of NY gives them money to continue running the trains and buses... they get this money from the tolls, the tolls are also expensive to encourage people to use the Mass transit...
Old 12-04-2006, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As the great George Carlin once said:

"You can't back out of your drive way in Jersey w/o paying a toll!"

and

"Look, I don't mind paying them, I just hate stopping to pay them. Here's a blank check, just fill it out when I'm done."
Old 12-06-2006, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bronxblaza, I honestly didn't know that about your toll road. That's understandable to a degree though I would personally disagree with the method of collection. If you want to cover mass transit, pull it from property tax (this would be assuming since people live there, they would get though perhaps not use the benefit of the mass transit system) and from charging the people that ride it. The Mass transit system there isn't free is it?

See, there is no real mass transit to speak of in Houston. We have Metro buses which, if you wanna ride, you just pay for and we have a tiny "light rail" which is more of a gimmick than anything. It doesn't go far and maybe .5 percent of the city uses it... maybe.

So yeah, our toll both money goes straight into the city coffers. In fact, they even tell you all about it on their website. Arrogant bastards know that no one will go vote to change it due to laziness and apathy.

/rant done
Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use to go in the fastrak and cut back into the pay lane.........now i got a fastrak(what their called in the west coast)

Very convenient thats for sure........
Old 12-07-2006, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^then you are my new best friend...anyone who gets a fastrak or ezpass is immediately my friend seeing as I curse to hell all those in the cash lanes that slowed down my trip b/c they are ignorant idiots
Old 12-07-2006, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spect2K3
Originally Posted by engifineer

Absolutely right, the design is of course made by idiots. What you said is so simple yet so brilliant, why cant they all think of that? Sometimes I seriously wonder about the kind of people we have running this place!
Most of the road systems are designed by idiots it seems But yes, the system in OK is pretty nice and simple. If someone goes through without a pass, they still dont slow down (hopefully, they are still on the main, 75mph speed limit freeway ). But they get the ticket in the mail. The sensor was broken once and a guy I know got a letter with a pic of his plates and a ticket, which they reversed once they saw he had the pass. Seems to me the pass is worthless if you actually have to still go through a booth or slower lane. The purpose in the one I speak of is to allow you to never miss a beat and keep driving. I am suprised, though, that they dont send out more speeding tickets with all of these systems, since they have a record of how long it takes you to get from one sensor to the next. That will be next though I am sure. Big brother is all over :D

Quick Reply: Venting About Toll Booths