Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

VERY MUSHY BRAKES!!! CRAPPY STOPING POWER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Even with stock calipers a larger rotor helps. With larger rotors (just like with larger wheels) more of the rotor passes through the caliper per revolution, but if you are going to do something.. do it right. Get the calipers also.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i brake the same way with my tC as i did with my escape and my escape stopped quicker than the tC.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brakes are overated.. No need for them... hahahaha... As you can tell from my previouse posted pics of my car, just use trees.. They stop you FAST!@!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah using the brakes only causes brake dust to get on the rim and therefore makes it look dirty and u have to clean it lol
Old 04-15-2005, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

put it in gear might help???
Old 04-15-2005, 09:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread is ridiculous.

If you're sliding into intersections, either there is something severely wrong with your brake system, and you need to get back to the dealership ASAP, OR you need a few more driver's ed classes.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

. .. i agree with som . . ..

. . i think the tc's brakes are very responsive. . . .and good during heel/toeing . .(when you have the right type of foot wear)

. .. either you have a problem with your system, need to adjust to the feel of the vehicle, or go back to driving school (how may years experience do you have??)
Old 04-15-2005, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Putting it in gear will definitely stop it much quicker but its' pretty bad for ur gears.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Somnambulated
This thread is ridiculous.

If you're sliding into intersections, either there is something severely wrong with your brake system, and you need to get back to the dealership ASAP, OR you need a few more driver's ed classes.
EXACTLY. WTF guys

Like I said earlier in the thread, if you have brakes that are not working, TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP AND NOT VENT ABOUT HOW MUCH THE TC SUXXORS BECAUSE YOU CAN'T PROPERLY BRAKE BEFORE AN INTERSECTION.

And you guys are totally wrong about brakes being mushy as part as the tC in general. The sensitivity might be more than what you are used to, this does NOT mean the brakes are bad. If you have the ability to activate ABS, then your brakes are working as intended. If not, TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP.

@#&(*@#
Old 04-15-2005, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Huey
i brake the same way with my tC as i did with my escape and my escape stopped quicker than the tC.
well it also has to do with master cylinder size. bigger = 'more' braking/easier to lock up wheels...but if you have abs then that isn't a problem. but one would want to be able to modulate the brakes, not just have them full on or full off. not saying your escape (pronounced ess-kappe LOL) did that but for a nice easy feel a smaller piston size is used. any other toyota model's MC bigger and fits?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i noticed the brakes are more sensative than my dads taurus. but it's still very very responsive.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my friend made a generalization that american trucks have more touchy brakes than other countries. i dunno, the toyota Uhaul i drove was pretty tempermental too...
Old 04-15-2005, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC is also a smooth and quiet car (on even roads anyway), and a lot of times I would be going faster than I realize. So I honestly think that it is possible that you are stopping thinking you are going slower than you are, hence, what you consider weak breaks. Just a thought. But either way if you are concerned, you should have it checked. Its not like it will cost you anything. I "personally" think the breaks are fine, but they do feel a little soft compared to other cars.

Just keep in mind, if you have a problem or oppinion, and scionlife members are fortunate enough to not share your problems, they will basically chew your head off and get all defensive about it. And then when they have their own problems, they will come here and whine. And then cycle repeats itself in one big circle.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: VERY MUSHY BRAKES!!! CRAPPY STOPING POWER!!!

Originally Posted by Xxgosumastaxx
Anyone one out there have the same problem i have with the tC. The brakes are so damn mushy i cant help but hate it.

I hope all tC's are like that. I almost had an accident on the damn freeway from the crappy stoping power.

Ok the real question is...
Will new brake pads help or do i need new brake calipers.

If so what kind of brakes should i get.
sounds like they need to be bled, or the master cylinder is bad. Brake pads have nothing to do with feeling mushy. Have the dealer check it and waranty it. Mine are pretty firm for not having all steel lines and stop very well. I think they are great for a stock setup (I especially like having the 4 wheel discs!)
Old 04-15-2005, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I STRONGLY URGE everyone to take a look at our FAQ section. http://www.stoptech.com/faq/

It will answer so many of the questions that you have about brakes. One key point that I should point out is that what is great and good for one person may not be great and good for another. Those two words are very subjective.

Tires stop the car more than the brakes. The capability of the brakes are completely limited by the traction of the tires. Not tire traction, not brakes. more tire tractions, better braking distances.

If your pedal feels mushy then perhaps there is air in the system. Like I mentioned before though, what one person thinks may not be enough for another. So mushy to one person maybe stiff to another. If there is no air in the system and the brake pedal still feels too much then upgrading to Stainless steel lines will help. Softer pedals are due to flexing somewhere in the system. Stock brakes use rubber lines which expand under pressure. They expand even more when heated up. Stainless lines do not expand nearly as much.

Also with Single piston sliding calipers like on the TC, the calipers tend to flex which results in softer pedals. Aftermarket big brake kits usually have stiffer calipers which give a stiffer pedal.

Everyone working here will tell you this. Bigger brakes don't stop the car better. Stickier tires do. In this link are exact reasons why a big brake kit would be needed. http://www.stoptech.com/faq/data/faq2.html

Please read the links that I post. They will answer more than you think.

Also bed in of pads are important. Performance of brake pads after a bed in is usually greater. Top fuel dragsters do a burn out to put down fresh rubber onto the ground for maximum traction. If pads are bedded in correctly, there is a thin layer of pad material on the rotor. Then the pad material is rubbing on pad material which give optimum performance.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does the ABS still come on if you brake hard?

If it does there's probably no problem.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member

funny you said this, i was on the parkway not paying attention for a second and saw the guy in front of me had come to a sudden stop, i slammed the brakes, and barely missed rear ending him

i think the brakes are good from the one time i've really needed them !
Old 04-16-2005, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member

Default Actually its not that severe

First off, thanks for the suggestions.

When i brake im not talking about flying into the center of the intersection bad, its just mushy and unresponsive.

I also just expierienced more problems. I was heading on slight downhill sloap on the freeway, when i have to ease up on the gas and give a little brake to get on to the next free on-ramp, when sudenlly i feel a heavy vibration comming from the brake pedel. IT was the ABS. I was like WTF i brealy eased up on it, and it went off.

Now what do you think the problem is....

and yes i am going to go to the dealer
Old 04-16-2005, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Huey
i notice this all the time. i slide past every stop sign that i try stopping at. the tC brakes in my opinion aren't as good as the ones i had on my ford escape or the ones on my subaru.
If you are sliding... then the brakes are completely out of the question. Once you break the point of static friction (when you begin sliding) the brakes have less force on them than when you are just beginning to slide (where static and kinetic friction coefficients intersect). In other words.. if the brakes are locked and you are sliding, then it is your tires you are speaking of, not the brakes.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stoptech
I STRONGLY URGE everyone to take a look at our FAQ section. http://www.stoptech.com/faq/

It will answer so many of the questions that you have about brakes. One key point that I should point out is that what is great and good for one person may not be great and good for another. Those two words are very subjective.

Tires stop the car more than the brakes. The capability of the brakes are completely limited by the traction of the tires. Not tire traction, not brakes. more tire tractions, better braking distances.

If your pedal feels mushy then perhaps there is air in the system. Like I mentioned before though, what one person thinks may not be enough for another. So mushy to one person maybe stiff to another. If there is no air in the system and the brake pedal still feels too much then upgrading to Stainless steel lines will help. Softer pedals are due to flexing somewhere in the system. Stock brakes use rubber lines which expand under pressure. They expand even more when heated up. Stainless lines do not expand nearly as much.

Also with Single piston sliding calipers like on the TC, the calipers tend to flex which results in softer pedals. Aftermarket big brake kits usually have stiffer calipers which give a stiffer pedal.

Everyone working here will tell you this. Bigger brakes don't stop the car better. Stickier tires do. In this link are exact reasons why a big brake kit would be needed. http://www.stoptech.com/faq/data/faq2.html

Please read the links that I post. They will answer more than you think.

Also bed in of pads are important. Performance of brake pads after a bed in is usually greater. Top fuel dragsters do a burn out to put down fresh rubber onto the ground for maximum traction. If pads are bedded in correctly, there is a thin layer of pad material on the rotor. Then the pad material is rubbing on pad material which give optimum performance.
Nice site! Very good info there.

Quick Reply: VERY MUSHY BRAKES!!! CRAPPY STOPING POWER!!!