2005-2010 [ANT10]

A way to blow my tax refund...Scion tC upgrade choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default A way to blow my tax refund...Scion tC upgrade choices

Hey all,

I am considering some upgrades for my car. I would like to know what yall think and if yall have any suggestions.

CAI - http://www.kidimports.com/products.a...=21994&ref=frg OR http://www.showstoppersusa.com/produ...oducts_id=1164
I am leaning towards the SP model.

Exhaust - http://www.racepages.com/performance...3&brandid=2967
This is a Magnaflow model. This was the cheapest place I could find. Also I do not know if that includes the s-pipe in there...somehow I doubt it. It is the same model I am assuming as the one on their site:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=Sport&id=1002

Headers - http://www.hopupracing.com/alststhesctc.html

Magnaflow resonator

Stoptech Stage 2 Brake kit

Comments/feedback suggestions on better prices?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

what mods do you have done to your car? is the stoptech stage 2 brake kit a "big brake" kit? if so, would this be a rational mod? meaning, if you dont have that many engine/hp mods, then it seems kinda silly to have the big brake kit when your stock ones would do just fine.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

how much do you have to blow?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

No as far as I know the stoptech is not a big brake kit. At least that is what their web site advertises it as.

And I have enough to blow on the mods I just posted and linked on. I am torn between the MMW header and the Alphawerks. I never sawy any dyno numbers on the MMW header however...perhaps I should get more friendly with the forum's search feature.

For now I have mostly my wheels and tires done, trd springs, struts bar, interior leather, the kick plates done, carbon fiber stripes on the doors, rear lights. I have not gotten to the part of touching the engine yet.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

why not just get the supercharger or the greddy turbo kit or even zpi stage 0?
Old 01-30-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

that's alot for a tax return.... i'd go with the stoptech kit, but that's only because it's close to the top of my to do list
Old 01-30-2007, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well I did consider a supercharger...but that is not going to be possible as I am not aware of a s/c out for an 07 tC. Personally I would like to keep the gas mileage at 30 mpg that I get during my regular drives. I thought of a turbo setup but it seems like too much and I am not sure how reliable it all is. This way the setup I am leaning towards will not cause too much worry becuase I am not tinkering with turbos and all its associated parts.

I read somewhere that there is an MMW titanium header setup that includes the s pipe but I am unable to locate that at their website. So far I like the alphawerks best but I read that the mmw header produces more hp though.

Any feedback on the parts I have chosen?
Old 01-30-2007, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

first things first...suspension. Maybe upgrade to coilovers, if not, get some shocks. Then check out the ARK full exhaust system...great product. As for headers...everyone says that the MMW set up is good, but the one i would get if i was going that route would be the Strup headers. Definitely get the resonator...and if you want a quality intake...INJEN CAI FTW!!

here are some links to help u

www.monstermotorworks.com
www.strup.us
www.injen.com
www.racingsolution.com
Old 01-30-2007, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the links. I have not heard of Strup and or ARK. Thanks once again. I will look into them.

Just curious but how loud is the ARK exhaust. I dont want to be all ricey at all. The Magnaflow sound on their website sounds really good to me. Since the tC has the weird gear ratio where you got 65 mph @ 3k rpm I would rather not get a loud exhaust.

As for suspensions, I hear what you are saying but I already changed to the TRD springs. And even that I find to be more than enough for me on the road. The ride is also important to me. I dont want my teeth to rattle especially here in Texas where the roads are not really that great especially in side the town.

I will try to post some pics of my car tonight when I get home from work.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

as for your teeth rattling...that's what the EDFC is for...YOU adjust the stiffness from the inside of your car! It's an awesome invention. But ARK has 2 exhausts...one is the N2 which looks like the cannon, and the other is a more stock looking exhaust...both are pretty quiet compared to most...the N2 is a little quiter than the HKS hi-power and you can check that out in the exhaust links that are in the sticky for exhausts
Old 01-30-2007, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the info on the sticky Buddha. Will look into it. As for the EDFC...its like an electronic dampening control inside the car? Or am I totally off the mark?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:30 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I have the MMW header and the Magnaflow exhaust. I love both. The MMW header does come with a s-pipe and dynos are up on their site. With your current setup I'd get the Stoptech Stage 2 to enchance the look of your rims. Rims with stock brake kits just don't get it IMO.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by suryad
Thanks for the info on the sticky Buddha. Will look into it. As for the EDFC...its like an electronic dampening control inside the car? Or am I totally off the mark?
no prob...that's exactly what it is though, a dampening control. It controls how stiff or loose the spring rate is...the higher the #, the stiffer it is and the lower well im sure you get it
Old 01-31-2007, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks lil Lex for the info. I will go with the MMW header. The numbers on their website for MMW look a bit too optimistic though!! I am gonna go with the Stage 2 kit. Right now my wheels look fine but I am sure they would look infinitely better with the right color calipers and the right sort of brake disc. I am thinking of doing with the drilled rotors.

Buddhas that dampener setup sounds awesomely tempting but I dont think I will have the cash after these slew of updates! Maybe that will be next on my to-do list.

I forgot to post pics of my car last night was bushed from work but I will try to do it tonight.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep em coming! :D
Old 02-08-2007, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

Came across this what do you guys think?
http://www.monstermotorworks.com/cgi...&ppinc=search2
Old 02-08-2007, 09:00 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

np,on the info. I can't comment on the link you just posted though cause I don't have that setup. But I did read in a mag that ARK makes awesome products. It's when I was either in Diego or or on WESTPAC so I don't remember the details. But I haven't seen anyone with it though.

But here's a link to their site: http://www.arkspeedracing.com/04_ON_...m1200-005d.htm

Keep in mind though that when you add a header or CAI it will probably chnge the sound. Well actually a header definetly will.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm getting a nice ALPINE headunit from my tax refund :-)......good luck with your mods, been there done that
Old 02-09-2007, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

I am thinking of throwing in engine dampers in the mix from weapon r. People have been saying that it results in more interior noise...I will have to try it out at least.

I was curious how this was going to affect emissions.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would go with the exhaust.....its always nice to have a good sounding car......and not to steal this thread but i was about to make this same one untill i found this one...and im just stuck on weather to go with a 7" dvd/cd screen -or- the rs1 lip kit...those are the only 2 things im really wanting to get but i dont kno which i should get now....thanks for any inputs in advance!!!!...
Old 02-10-2007, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

mines going towards the car so i can save up for turbo and engine rebuild

Quick Reply: A way to blow my tax refund...Scion tC upgrade choices