2005-2010 [ANT10]

Weak Starts

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Weak Starts

For the tC, most of the time i start up my car, it gives me this really "weak" start like it doesn't want to start. and a few times, the starts sounded "healthy". should i be concerned? thanks.

and one more thing, after long drives, i get out of the car and i can hear a clicking noise repeatedly from under my hood. it only happens for like about 5 minutes, then it stops. any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The clicking is metal parts cooling off at different rates. Pretty common for cars to do that when they get really hot.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

i have that same weak start sometimes in my xB, like it doesnt wanna start sometimes
Old 08-30-2005, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The Instigator
The clicking is metal parts cooling off at different rates. Pretty common for cars to do that when they get really hot.

I don't think so.... Usually sometimes you can hear clicking sounds when there is a load on the engine at idle. Like the A/C. My 98 Kia used to do that when the a/c was on and went away when a/c is off. That's one example. It could be your clutch system also... I've diagnosed a vehicle with a bad pressure plate making a ticking sound for a short duration and it got worse. If you hear the clicking sound, try pushing the clutch pedal and then see if you hear the clicking sound. Re-engage it and check if the sound is reappears. If so, take it to dealer to have it inspected. If clutch case is true or false, don't mention anything about knowing what the problem is. Just say, "I hear a clicking sound and it goes away when I press the clutch pedal and comes back when I release the clutch pedal." Thats if this is the case.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He specifically stated the noise happened after he finished a long drive and he was leaving the car...meaning the car was not running. Id be worried if the noises you mentioned happened after the car was turned off.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, the clicking noise is metal changing shape when cooling down. my mom's mazda 626 clicks like a typewriter when it turns off, from the day she drove it off the lot.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The #1 source for the ticking is the catalysts. And that is 100% normal.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i got to say too, that ive had some weak starts. i dunno what the deal is. the car turns over really slowly and unsmoothly, and im not talking about how it takes toyota motors a second more to start, im takling about almost like dead battery starts. anyone have any insite as to why this happenes?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

recommend nology wires for this?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ignition system is fine. Press the clutch down harder. The clutch sensor is a little sensitive. Mine'll do the same thing if I don't press the clutch hard enough when I try to start it.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about for us Auto drivers?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ Take it to the dealer ;)
Old 08-30-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ssshh ur waking up the car... it doesnt want to be bothered... after a long good sleep WHO DOES wants to wake up quick? lolz i kidd... yeah i get it too... feels like the car is gonna turn off on me or something when i turn it on... it scares me sometimes...
Old 08-30-2005, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope
The #1 source for the ticking is the catalysts. And that is 100% normal.
Agree 100% been around too many cars and bikes with catalysts after long rides/drives and know what the sound is. Are you sure the noise was comming from under the hood only or both the hood and the exhaust. 2 cats in the tc's i believe. Never had any starting problems yet. But i remember reading somewhere too that the fuel pump does something after the car has been of for 5 hrs or so and the "weak" start might just be caused by the pump being "asleep". If im wrong someone please point it out. thanks
Old 08-31-2005, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too have the weak start issue, I found that if i put the key in wait a sec or 2 then turn it turns right over. As apposed to hopping in the car and just going straight for the ignition. I fugred it was the extra amp or so of accessories I added, or that extra sec gives the fuel pump a wakeup call. /shrug
Old 08-31-2005, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i floor the clutch when i start and i do give it like a second or two for all the accessories to start up. i have an appointment with toyota tomorrow so i hope the best comes out of it. they say it's a "start hesistation" and that it does need to be looked at immediately. i also went to Meineke yesterday, and they tested my battery. they say it's a little weak and that i should take it to my dealership and that's where i'm going tomorrow. wish me luck
Old 08-31-2005, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nakioki
ssshh ur waking up the car... it doesnt want to be bothered... after a long good sleep WHO DOES wants to wake up quick?
brilliant post. a cold machine does not snap to life with a weakened battery. a hot machine shutting down has a few things to say as well. after running it for a period of time after it's been all "warmed up", it will grunt and groan.

your car will make pops and crackles after being turned off. substances (specially metal) contract as they cool and as you get to know your car over time, you will be able to differentiate sounds that should be of concern and those that are merely the car cooling off.

your concern is admirable though because even though it is naive, it says you will take care of the car. a "wawa" battery is definitely a fix needed now, a popcorn popper after shut off is normal (once you can recognize the sounds).

you'll be fine....the pops are normal but get a new battery.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 7thgear
i floor the clutch when i start and i do give it like a second or two for all the accessories to start up. i have an appointment with toyota tomorrow so i hope the best comes out of it. they say it's a "start hesistation" and that it does need to be looked at immediately. i also went to Meineke yesterday, and they tested my battery. they say it's a little weak and that i should take it to my dealership and that's where i'm going tomorrow. wish me luck
yeah i had a brand new battery installed at a honda dealer (for my old civic), turned out it was bad right off the shelf.. (yes they put another one in) so it's entirely possible you got a bad battery from the start.. it happens..dealer should be able to get you a new one.. all they need to do is a simple load test on the battery.. that'll show it's got a bad cell inside (6 cells X 2 volts each = 12v), they basically should tell you that it didn't put up with the load..
Old 08-31-2005, 08:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm not too worried about the crackling sound from the car anymore, i realize that it does happen to every car. but the strange thing is, i just got the tC less than 3 months ago and there is only 2100 miles on it. i don't understand how the battery went out, or was it simply just a bad battery from the shelf? there is an indicator on the battery and its status is OK. it's either "OK", "charging necessary" or "add distilled water". hopefully everything works out.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw, is there any chance it could be engine damage?

Quick Reply: Weak Starts