Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

What $$$ are you getting on your trades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member

Default What $$$ are you getting on your trades?

new to the board, looks like a great community. I am seriously looking at a new Tc

I've seen several posts about trades, but what kind of money are you getting for your trades at the Scion dealers?

havent traded a car in before.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best thing to do F1 is to figure out waht your trade is worth. Find as many average trade-in values on the web as possible and average them together. (Kelly Blue Book online, NADA, Edmunds, etc.) I think I found 6 just by searching trade-in value in Google. Then once you know what your vehicle is worth, stick to the average value as the selling price for your vehicle. They will usually come in around $1k or $1.5k below the average. Keep telling them you need more until they get to the average. They use all kinds of tactics to make you think your car is worth less than it actually is. (My dealer even tried to get me to buy new tires before he would take my trade) Low mileage vehicles (under 50k) are preffered by dealerships. Also spend the money at a local car wash for a full detail and hand wax (around a $75) and it will pay off in the end. I was able to talk my dealer up to $700 more than average trade-in in the end.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member

er.. my dealership offered 1.5K on my 96 Eclipse Spyder in good condition (factory installed warranty transmission,brakes,roof).. so I'm selling it privately.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got 11k for my 2002 Civic Si. KBB rated it at like 10k trade-in, so I think I did well. They actually called their own auction guy to see how much they could buy a similar car at an auction wholesale priced, and gave me that amount.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah they tried all sorts of BS with my 99 Eclipse telling me about how the market was swamped with these cars blah blah blah, i just kept looking at the trade in figure, walked out twice and they finally gave me what i expected, their smiles go to frowns and annoyance over 4 hrs.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was able to talk up my '96 prelude si to $4k.

not bad considering my paint job was fading at a phenominal rate and i had some ugly rust formations near my rear fender.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I sold cars for a long time, DO NOT USE NADA or KELLY'S. They misslead and then raise your hopes. Car dealers DO NOT use NADA or KEllY'S. The dealer book is called GALVES it's a wholesaler's book. It values your car less then NADA or Kelly's. Why do dealers use galves? Because your car will most likely end up at a auction, and no one pays what they show in NADA or Kelly's for a car at the auction, they pay what is in GALAVES.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member

ouch yeah, i just checked out galves, almost 1.5 k less than KBB
Old 03-29-2005, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha I'm so glad I'm done with this part of the deal, I feel like I got plenty now!
Old 03-29-2005, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kwc5811
The best thing to do F1 is to figure out waht your trade is worth. Find as many average trade-in values on the web as possible and average them together. (Kelly Blue Book online, NADA, Edmunds, etc.) I think I found 6 just by searching trade-in value in Google. Then once you know what your vehicle is worth, stick to the average value as the selling price for your vehicle. They will usually come in around $1k or $1.5k below the average. Keep telling them you need more until they get to the average. They use all kinds of tactics to make you think your car is worth less than it actually is. (My dealer even tried to get me to buy new tires before he would take my trade) Low mileage vehicles (under 50k) are preffered by dealerships. Also spend the money at a local car wash for a full detail and hand wax (around a $75) and it will pay off in the end. I was able to talk my dealer up to $700 more than average trade-in in the end.
Wow. A dealership that negotiates! Cool! So much for pure pricing.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Got $2.5k for my '01 KIA Sephia LS w/ 4 new wheels&tire (probably few months only), aprraised by 3 dealers, all same price! SO traded-in and got my BSP tC
Old 03-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I got $800 for my '97 Neon...but it wasn't a trade-in...it was slammed head first into a Sebring doing 50...
Old 03-29-2005, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind that Scion's Pure Price is still going to be a factor when you trade in your xA, Xb or tC. They will offer you the price that is the same all over and if you take it great! If you dont great!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think I got $2000 over book value on my trade-in.

I was expecting to have to sell the car myself, but they offered the same price as I was going to sell it privately for. Plus I got the little "tax break" for applying a trade towards the tC.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Even if you sell your car "private party" and you buy a car of greater value, you will only have to pay sales tax on the difference between what you sold your car for and what you payed for the other car.
There aren't may people that can pay 17,000 or 18,000 dollars worth of sales tax. Let alone $30,000 for some of the new cars out there.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got $500 for my 94 Corolla w/ 143k miles...it was slightly more then KBB, but here's the kicker, they didn't even look at it. Just said $500 and I accepted immediately because I financed through Toyota I also got the $400 college grad rebate...

It would have been more of a pain in the ___ for me to sell it out-right in the newspaper...

I had no problems...needless to say.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know it sounds like the opposite of what you have always heard but have fun when you go buy a car. These salesmen/women live off of selling cars, they need the money far worse than you need the one car they have on their lot. Car sales has become very competitive especially(sp) in large cities. They know soemone else out there is just a little more desperate and will go that extra $250 or $500 on a trade. The pure pricing is just on the sale of the car not the accessories. The FM tC I wanted had the vehicle shield package on it, I told the sales guy that I didn't want it and would probably just end up ordering one without it or checking around town and seeing if anyone else had one. He knew the package didn't cost the dealership much (just icing on the cake if he could get someone to take it) so he says "What if I just throw it in for free?". Plus the dealerships get these cars for $15k and that is with their 2% to 3% hold back already in it. They can't move on the $16k base price on the tC but they can sure take an even amount or $200 loss on the trade. They still made $1000 dollars for getting a car holding it a week and selling it. Wish I could make that kind of money. True alot of higher mileage cars will go to auction but trade-in values from reputable sources such as Galves will reflect that. The Ford Dealership I worked for here in College Station used a special version of KBB to do our trade value estimates. Anyway after all go and have fun. When they push, push back, don't take crap, hit as many dealerships as possible. Somebody out there has a mortage payment to make or a little mouth to feed and some dealership needs to move just a few more units to push into the next tier so they can get better pricing or more clout when ordering new vehicles.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got $2K for my 2003 Altima in cash + Payoff which was around 13K.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I would try to sell your car outright rather than trading it. You'll never get that much from a dealer.

I sold my 1999 Civic Si privately- 106K miles & I got $11,500 for it.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got 11.8k for my 2001 GS-R. Trade in value on the blue book was 10k, so I think I got a good deal. If you include the tax savings it comes out to like 12.6k

Quick Reply: What $$$ are you getting on your trades?