What should I do (scratch)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What should I do (scratch)

Sorry I don't have pics of it. its too dark outside to take one now
Basically I have a pretty descent scratch right above the fake intake vent towards the middle of the bumper vertically speaking. I did the touch up paint thing and it looks better but its obviously still gonna look terrible. spans about oh 4-6 inches. about 1-2 inches tall. I don't really wanna spend 500+ to get a new bumper and paint it and all that at this moment. Trying to think of something to put over it, maybe a sticker or something. I don't want a company logo there, maybe something clever like idk "MOVE" or something or a little Rock on symbol. Anyone got any ideas? Kinda hard to do for the front... Ill post pics of it tomorrow when its bright.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

ouch. It sounds like a pretty bad scratch. If it's deep (enough to expose the base coat/primer) then the only choices are to replace it or have it repainted. but like you said, it'll be expensive. Where did you get it anyways?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some guy pulled out of a stop sign, i began to roll and follow him out, when I turned my head to see if there was any oncoming traffic coming. he slammed on his brakes for w.e reason and I just lightly tapped him, literately lightly maybe 1 or 2 mph. I wasn't even sure if I hit him or not thats how light it was. However his car was a jeep and my cars lowered so his tail pipe was just a little bit higher then the middle of my bumper and managed to scratch it. Its not his fault if anything its mine, he was cool about it tho so what ever. I've never actually seen anyone stop, roll past the stop sign and stop again like halfway into the intersection, maybe if there was oncoming traffic outa the blue but there was non. Its my fault, I was insanely lucky that this is all that happened and that it was a really cool guy and not some ***** trying to take advantage of the situation, I plan on accepting it. Live and Learn. No sense in cryin about it now, not like it'll change the situation. I just want a quick fix until I have some extra $$ layin around so I could get paint a new bumper cover.

I didnt get a dent or anything, just the scratch, the scratch goes right into the plastic. Ah well. I went to a body shop and they quoted me 625 to get the bumper fixed. I figure I could get a new bumper from sparks for 200 and have it painted for 300 so I decided not to fix it. I'll just get the new one done in like 2 months or what ever.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

you can tape up the sides of the scratch very closely and then use the touchup paint and then wet sand it with 1000 grit withthe tape stillthere.....then apply a bit of clear.....and rubbing compund and remove tape and rub some more than buff with polish and most of it will be gone.....maybe not all but most will blend in........
Old 03-27-2008, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
you can tape up the sides of the scratch very closely and then use the touchup paint and then wet sand it with 1000 grit withthe tape stillthere.....then apply a bit of clear.....and rubbing compund and remove tape and rub some more than buff with polish and most of it will be gone.....maybe not all but most will blend in........
^^ Tape. Holy crap I never thought of that. I always had an issue wet sanding an area where touch up paint was used but I never thought to tape the area before wet sanding. Definitely try it out tomorrow. Thanks Bro.

My car looks so sad now after the incident

had the bumper removed tryin to do a good job on the touch up
Old 03-27-2008, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Tape is the secret.............that way you fill the low spots and can flush sand itwithout damge to the area around it.......then some clear and then 1000 with out the tape and flush it if needed.......probably wont......then rubbing compound and polish and wax......it willnot be perfect but it will be only noticed by you when you wash car..........if you have access to a airbrush the work will be even better as there is less sanding as it applies smoother.

I have to do it to my car as well.......got a chip from the dude in the Porsche that backed into me.........but I took the insurance money and bought a Kami CF hood and AVIC........so the chip and small dent/crease in the bumper really do not bother me now......
Old 03-29-2008, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its actually coming along better then I thought. Its pretty smooth, just a little more work needs to be done. Thanks for the tip BZinn. Def helped alot.

Quick question: For the clear coat. Does it have to be a specific clear coat or can I get something from autozone?