2005-2010 [ANT10]

What would you do in this situation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default What would you do in this situation?

On April 3rd, I placed an order for a 5-speed tC RS 1.0. While I was out with a friend, I saw a different dealer with one on display, so I called them up. They said it had just arrived, is a 5 speed with additional options, and already had a few people inquire about it. Now, the dealership I placed the order with said there was a shipment due to arrive shortly (Apr. 14th port arrival in NY). The problem is, the shipment has an automatic, which I don't want. I called the dealership I placed the order with and told them the story. The salesperson told me he's doing everything he can and to "trust him", he will get me what I want. The dealer who has the car I want isn't willling to trade, unless it's for a Sequoia or something. What I'm wondering is if I should get my deposit back and go to the other dealer, or wait it out and wonder if I will ever get the RS 1.0. I doubt the car will be there after the weekend, if it makes it that far.

BTW, the dealer I put the order with has a free "Auto-4-life" limited warranty on the powertrain that's good for however long I own the car (as long as I do all services at their dealership).

I'm sorry for being a lil long winded. I've been lurking for a couple months now and think this is a great site with a lot of good info, and for the most part, decent people. I appreciate and welcome all suggestions and comments.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What would you do in this situation?

i would go with the dealer that has the stick one if you want stick if you want an auto then just wait then you get the good warrenty but if you want stick go get it im sure you wont see to many of them just sitting there like that

i stiill dont see any 5 speed tc's sitting arund at dealerships in the chicago land area
Old 04-21-2005, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd say go get the car from the dealer who has what you want. That's what I did, and I couldn't be happier. The car salesman you're dealing with now, I can almost guarantee, has no idea when he'll be getting that car and can't promise you jack.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

forget loyalty and trust and go get what you want from whoever has it. never trust anyone to do something for you when you can do it yourself. the other dealer has what you want, so go pick it up before it is gone.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'd go with the dealer who has what you want also. The other dealer just wants your business, they don't want to lose you.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I appreciate everyone's quick response. I have the next couple days off, so guess I'll be breaking in my new tC when I pick it up tomorrow. I think I've waited long enough for the car.... I've wanted the tC for a few months...was holding off for APR 1 to get the supercharger...but that's not happening anytime soon. I'm wondering if I can have the dealership remove the alarm they put in... they said just over $20k for the car...they added the "VIP" security system as he put it, the TRD exhaust, and 6 disc changer. Not sure what else, if any, they put in.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by imsono___un
I appreciate everyone's quick response. I have the next couple days off, so guess I'll be breaking in my new tC when I pick it up tomorrow. I think I've waited long enough for the car.... I've wanted the tC for a few months...was holding off for APR 1 to get the supercharger...but that's not happening anytime soon. I'm wondering if I can have the dealership remove the alarm they put in... they said just over $20k for the car...they added the "VIP" security system as he put it, the TRD exhaust, and 6 disc changer. Not sure what else, if any, they put in.
I hope to god you are *not* buying from Lustine, the "auto for life place".
I looked at a FM 5speed there on a Saturday. I told them I was waiting for financing from Navy Federal Credit Union, and would know that Monday if I was buying the car. They really wanted me to put a deposit down that Saturday, but I told them "no, I'm not putting one down until I heard from NFCU". I called them at 12:30 Monday, after hearing from NFCU. I told them I wanted the car. They said great, it is still available. I told them I would be down at 4:30 to pick the car up. I called the same salesman back, 30 minutes later, and told him I was sending my father down now, to get the paperwork started, as I didn't want to be at the dealer for 4 hours. All of a sudden, I'm told that the car is being test driven, and there is a deposit on it, but "not to worry, I have two other 5 speeds in stock, just different colors". I was furious as I told him not 30 minutes agao I was coming down to buy the car. At any rate, I asked him to fax me the out the door price with the options I wanted and taxes tags, etc, plus the VIN of the second choice color I wanted. 2 hours later, I still hadn't gotten any fax. I called him back, and he said "well the pricing is all up on the website, so I don't understand why you need that" At this point, I felt like 1) they had sold the car I wanted out from under me; 2) they didnt care about me as a customer, since they weren't willing to fax me the price and VIN, which I needed for NFCU to cut me a check; 3) they really didnt have a clue about cutomer service. I called up Ourisman Toyota in Fairfax, and was told they had a truck coming in within 5 days, that had a FM 5speed on it. They also told me that if I wanted that car, they would make sure that no one else even test drove it. I bagged on Lustine, drove over to Fairfax. Kirk had already pulled the inventory, filled out all the paperwork (talked to me over the fone and asked what options I wanted), and completely made me feel better. He recommended a deposit, and said the normal amount was $500, but because he could see I was really upset with Lustine, he said he'd accept a $100 deposit.
My father and I had dinner acorss the street, and then drove home. About 5 minutes after I got in the door, Kirk called me. I'm thinking great, what could possibly go wrong at this point. Turns out, Kirk went an extra mile, and called the inventory Manager to find out exactly when that truck was coming in with my car on it. Imagine how excited I was when he said "The truck is 10 minutes away from our lot, with your car on it. If you want your car tonite, I'll stay and get your car washed, etc, and you can drive it home tonite"

The best part is that Lustine called me the next day, and told me that the FM was actually still available, and that if I wanted it, I could come pick it up. I told him I'd be right over to sign the papers....and asked him to get all the work done for me. Imagine how ____ed he was when I rolled up in my new car, and told him I already bought the car from someone who knew what customer service was. Bottom line here, don't trust Lustine at *all* when they say that "trust me, if you want a 5speed, I'll get one"

FYI, Lustine requires you to do all your maintenance through their dealership to get that "auto for life" warranty. And the shop rates are reduckulous. Plus, there is a deductable, though it is unclear how much. I heard $50 from one salesman, $175 from the manager, and $200 from the service dept.

Ourisman/Fairfax gives you all maint for free for the first 2 years

Anyhow, sorry for the rant....hope everything works out for you, and that you decide NOT to go with Lustine.