Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

whoa.. a fluke or major problem ?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default whoa.. a fluke or major problem ?!

Yesterday, I was low on gas, it was below a quarter and the light was on. I went into the gas station and as always, I leave the engine off but leave the radio on. While the gas was being pumped, I turned the key to see how much gas was put in the car already and then turned it the other way leaving the radio on still. After I finished getting gas, only $10 worth, I turned on the ignition and nothing happened. This happened before, it was the security system. So i took the key out and hit the unlock key and i started the engine. All the lights came on as they normally did, but the check light engine was still on and when I put the car in drive (i have an auto silver tC), nothing happened and I even moved back a little. Completely freaked out, I put the breaks on the car, put it back in park and turned off the ignition. I waited a second and then started the car again and everything was back to normal.

This freaked me out, i hit the gas and nothing happened and i rolled back a little bit. My first inital thought was, at least i got warrenty, even bought the extended. But the car has been working fine since yesterday, this was during my lunch break at work. I drove back to work and nothing was wrong, went to school, n home n then back to work this morning where i am right now and it's been fine. Should I bring this is in for service or what?
Old 09-24-2004, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

That sounds like to me you might have had water in your gas or you might have just made it to the gas station right before you ran out of gas and had a small airpocket in the line with could have caused your car to be unresposive when you tried to use the gas to leave. It doesn't hurt to take it in to the dealer and have them check it out. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Gas Cap Not On?

Lots of weird things happen when you fire up the ECU without the gas cap screwed on. This includes the Check Engine light that you mentioned.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like an electronic problem, not a mechanical one. I doubt it was an "air bubble" or water in the gas. Probably your alarm was acting up or something. Yeah, you could take it to the dealer and have them check it out.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: whoa.. a fluke or major problem ?!

Originally Posted by scion jC
This freaked me out, i hit the gas and nothing happened and i rolled back a little bit. My first inital thought was, at least i got warrenty, even bought the extended. But the car has been working fine since yesterday, this was during my lunch break at work. I drove back to work and nothing was wrong, went to school, n home n then back to work this morning where i am right now and it's been fine. Should I bring this is in for service or what?
Just a suggestion... see if you can duplicate the problem. You can bet that the car will check out fine when you get it to the dealer. To me it sounds like your ECU lost it's mind for a minute (a forced reboot?). Some mfg's ECUs (like GM's) in addition to real-time ignition adjustment, keep ignition advance/retard values in memory until you fill the tank. That way if you happen to get a ____ty load of gas and your knock sensors tell the ECU to retard the ignition, your not stuck with the retarded ignition settings when you finally get a good tank of gas. Thats one reason it good to fill a gas tank instead of constantly adding a few bucks.
Did your car idle or run rough for a few seconds after you got it started?
Old 09-24-2004, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if it does it again, then ill take it in. so far its been ok. i knew it either had to do something with the security system, but it was very odd indeed
Old 09-24-2004, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EDIT: Nevermind.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What security system do you have?
Old 09-24-2004, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by spwolf
i have the one scion offers.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scion jC
Originally Posted by spwolf
i have the one scion offers.
Scion Security? And your car wont start sometimes? get it checked and fixed...
Old 09-24-2004, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member

all new cars check engine light will come on if you turn the car on without the gas cap screwed on through two clicks, i bought a new avenger a few years back and i did the same thing your talking about, i felt like an idiot when i went to the dealer and that was all there was, just disconnect your battery cable for a few minutes and put it back on, that should take care of it
Old 09-25-2004, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

even with full service gas stations here in NJ, i always screw the gas cap on myself....read the warning label on the cap and you'll know what i mean