Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Why the tC doesn't have VSC-TRAC whereas xB has?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Why the tC doesn't have VSC-TRAC whereas xB has?

It beats me!!
Old 01-14-2007, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Maybe the xB needs it more, and in ours the ECU controls it in another kind of way. Just a Theory
Old 01-14-2007, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Because it lessens the performance of a car when it's on. Don't want that on a TC
Old 01-14-2007, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you serious? the xB has like a 4000% higher chance of rolling over.. it NEEDS traction control
Old 01-14-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Our ECU doesnt do anything to serve that purpose at all.

Not sure why they didnt add it, but really on a FWD car I dont want it. It wouldnt be much of a necessity to begin with.

I grew up in RWD cars, so I really dont need it there either and find it an annoyance on our 4Runner. Even in 2WD, I can keep the **** end just where I want it without the ECU telling me how to drive. I may actually try to build in a way to turn it off on the Runner when I want it off. The 01 doesnt even have a switch, so unless you are in 4wd with the center diff locked, it is activated.

But I guess it is good for less experienced drivers on slick roads.

In any case, a fwd, low sitting 4 banger is easy enough to drive in snow as long as it can grab and move, so you should be able to learn to drive it just fine. I think all the TRAC and ABS has partially served an injustice to drivers... nowadays people dont know how to drive on slick roads unless the car does it for them.. Give the average younger driver something without ABS and they will be backwards in a ditch at the first hint of snow. Not the best thing IMO.

And you can roll over a car just as easy with or without TRAC by the way.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:34 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member
Scinergy

scion from what i hear didnt give the xA VSC or TRAC (japanese toyota ist models have it standard just like the xB) because the system would have pushed the base price for the xA out of the sentitive price bracket that toyota was shooting for... this coming from a scion reps mouth. maybe this holds true for the tC?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by engifineer
Our ECU doesnt do anything to serve that purpose at all.

Not sure why they didnt add it, but really on a FWD car I dont want it. It wouldnt be much of a necessity to begin with.

I grew up in RWD cars, so I really dont need it there either and find it an annoyance on our 4Runner. Even in 2WD, I can keep the **** end just where I want it without the ECU telling me how to drive. I may actually try to build in a way to turn it off on the Runner when I want it off. The 01 doesnt even have a switch, so unless you are in 4wd with the center diff locked, it is activated.

But I guess it is good for less experienced drivers on slick roads.

In any case, a fwd, low sitting 4 banger is easy enough to drive in snow as long as it can grab and move, so you should be able to learn to drive it just fine. I think all the TRAC and ABS has partially served an injustice to drivers... nowadays people dont know how to drive on slick roads unless the car does it for them.. Give the average younger driver something without ABS and they will be backwards in a ditch at the first hint of snow. Not the best thing IMO.

And you can roll over a car just as easy with or without TRAC by the way.
That reminds me of Intial D. Nice.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As someone else said, it's because the xB is much more prone to roll. The xB's wheelbase is shorter, its track is narrower, and its center of gravity is much higher. So it gets VSC.

A good VSC system won't crimp your style. I wouldn't have a Mazda RX-8 or BMW 3-Series without this feature. In both of those cars the stability control operates transparently, and only when you really need it. Makes you seem like a much better driver than you really are.

Of course, both these cars are RWD. I agree that in a FWD car it's less necessary. I've never felt the need for it in my Protege5.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

car driving for you = fail
Old 01-17-2007, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mandangalo
Don't forget to send us accident pictures.

Most people buy cars for A to B transportation. If VSC or traction control help those who aren't as capable from crashing into me, I'm all the happier.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrafficinLA
Don't forget to send us accident pictures.

Most people buy cars for A to B transportation. If VSC or traction control help those who aren't as capable from crashing into me, I'm all the happier.
all this new technology is just a crutch for people that don't know how to drive a real, no frills/technology bull____, car. if they NEED all this newer garbage in order to get from point A-B, they shouldn't be allowed to drive.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all this new technology is just a crutch for people that don't know how to drive a real, no frills/technology bull____, car. if they NEED all this newer garbage in order to get from point A-B, they shouldn't be allowed to drive.
The problem is, they are already out there... Have you seen the process for getting a drivers license? It's a joke.

Another thing. Do you like technology for comfort and convenience like A/C and stereo sound systems in your car? So why can't people have safety tech in TRAC and VSC? Wouldn't you like TRAC or VSC to assist when you make a driving mistake?

By all means, I agree with you that people should learn to pay attention and drive. But dumb driving exist in all of us and as much as I like the Darwin awards, I don't want to be at the receiving end of the award nominees mistake.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

trac. contr. on a car takes away power, not a good thing, i raced my friends Monte Carlo SS w/ TC on and i smoked his a$$, we raced again w/ his TC off and he took me
Old 01-19-2007, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's good enough for Formula 1, it's good enough for anyone here...not to infer that the traction control systems used on Formula 1 cars is the same that would be on your street driven car.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

I'm glad I've got it on the xb, we don't get much snow/ice here in AR and it saved my butt tuesday, I was breaking when I hit some black ice so naturaly I swerved to miss the car infront of me, the back end still wound up facing the other way but I didn't wreck
Old 01-19-2007, 03:59 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VSC messes with your brakes and doesn't mess with your engine idk where ppl get that idea from
Old 01-19-2007, 08:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

traction control does more then just ur brakes,
ur useless comments are giving ppl the wrong idea buddy
stop talking if u dont know what ur talking about
Old 01-19-2007, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've driven a BMW 325xi with traction/stability control on a gravel road and was highly impressed. I wouldn't mind having it on the tC. Like the other poster above said, if it's good enough for Formula 1, I can probably stand having it on my car.

I read a post here years ago from someone who had an xB with traction control error and the car was highly unstable. The weirdness of the xB design might have made traction control a necessity or it would have been an unsafe design?
Old 01-19-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Fact is, if you know how to drive properly without it, the TRAC is an interference. Trust me, I grew up driving RWD on gravel roads every day, and all TRAC or VSC does for me is get in the way, period. It has actually caused me to make mistakes before because I was expecting the car to act like a normal car.. so I WANTED it to slip in some situations. Same with ABS, you brake completely differently using it, and it sometimes gets in the way of a drive that knows how to modulate the brakes to get what he/she wants.

And by the way, some traction control does use braking alone to do the trick. I believe on the 4runner, they also mess with the timing as well. Some also close the throttle IF they are throttle by wire. In any case, it is worthless to me, but my fiance loves it, so all I ask for is a way to disable it
Old 01-19-2007, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

And last I heard, they are banning TC on F1 cars for 2008, to the point that they are requiring a particular setup on the ECU.

Quick Reply: Why the tC doesn't have VSC-TRAC whereas xB has?