Window / Door question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Window / Door question

I have a question about the door. I was wondering if it was normal for the door to "harbor" water? Everytime i wash the car, after a day or 2 i roll down the windows it will still pick up water when i roll back up. Is that normal? I mean every car is like that but this is alot of water and its in tehre for days... Maybe because its winter right now? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks
Old 01-20-2005, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes. water gets past the window seals and just sits there.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

You know, I didn't think about it much but that happens to me too. can this problem become serious and should it be dealt with the dealer?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all cars have some water in the doors, it's why they have drain holes in the door.. i noticed that the car that held the most water was my old mustang.. the least? my old crx si.. tC is about in the middle.. drains pretty quickly.. i don't know what the dealer can really do if they spray the door and out comes the water immediately.. it's more of a product engineering (that's the way it's made) kind of thing.. it can only become a problem in the cold as we're finding out that the window glass freezes up.. that's why I've recommended in other posts to apply (with a towel, easier that way) silicone spray to the window glass edge so that it won't freeze up.. if you're worried about your speakers getting wet, they have a plastic shield around them protecting them from the moisture in the door..
Old 01-20-2005, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks, because it was like 14degrees yesterday and windchill 17 so it was like 5 below zero yesterday. The water was still in there after 5 days and when i open the window nothing worked, so i pressed it again and i heard ice cracking. =( maybe i can drill a hole somewhere to drain it?
Old 01-21-2005, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by idriveatC
Thanks, because it was like 14degrees yesterday and windchill 17 so it was like 5 below zero yesterday. The water was still in there after 5 days and when i open the window nothing worked, so i pressed it again and i heard ice cracking. =( maybe i can drill a hole somewhere to drain it?
i would take it to a hand held sprayer-type car wash.. to free up the windows, then dry the window's edge.. apply some silicone spray along the edge.. and at the bottom of the window glass (by where the glass meeting the door).. this should help it in not freezing.. but if you were serious, don't drill into your door..

one other thought i have is that when you spray the door with the water, see if there is any water coming out of the bottom of the door.. if there is, then it's normal.. if the water goes in and nothing drips out, then there is definitely a problem that the dealer needs to take a look at..

try those things and let us know.. it's been about -4 to about 15 degrees here in michigan so i am right in the same situation as you are.. and the water is draining out of my doors.. so let us know what happens when you try these things..