Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Worst Luck - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:23 PM

Default Worst Luck - Need Advice

Long story short...my tC has been hit twice while parked (in 2 different locations) in a span of 6 days. Both times nobody left any info, and of course where I parked it there's no cameras.

The first time it got hit in the right rear, and just scratched up my bumper. I'll probably be able to just use a bit of touch-up paint and make it look presentable.

The 2nd time was a bit more serious, looks like someone backed into it with a trailer hitch and ripped my front bumper and put a dent in my hood. (Pics below)

I was wondering what you guys would estimate this at costing to fix. I think obviously I'll need a new front bumper, and the hood needs to be either bent back and touched up with some paint, or I need a new hood as well.

Basically I'm stuck with 2 options: Pay my $500 deductable and get everything fixed, or my buddy said he'd help me bend the hood back out and I drive with a little gash on my bumper and a ghetto hood.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  131.1 KB
Name:  002.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  110.7 KB
Old 06-27-2010, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im thinking, carbon fiber hood. You should be able to find a fairly cheap bumper at a junkyard or look around for tCs being parted out.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

That sux. Happened to me 3 times. Still havent gotten it fixed. That hood looks bad. Is there a Junkyard nearby? I would want that hood fixed right away. Either pick one up cheap or go through your insurance.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should contact Murphyslaw if you don't mind shipping, usually he has all the stock parts you need.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Good call Domo. Not sure if he has any hoods though. But he is a great guy if he can get ahold of one.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you start to work on it, and you decide to turn it in to a claim, they could deny it. Happened to me and it sucked
Old 06-27-2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eleanor_tC05
Im thinking, carbon fiber hood. You should be able to find a fairly cheap bumper at a junkyard or look around for tCs being parted out.
You know, I was thinking that last night. I just jumped on ebay for kicks and came up with this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TC-05...#ht_3308wt_939

$448 brand new seems like it'd be a few hundred cheaper than buying a new oem hood and having it painted. Does anyone know anything about Seibon hoods? Seems like it's too good to be true.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

brock, i know where a silver one is at i can go look this weekend
Old 06-28-2010, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Domo
you should contact Murphyslaw if you don't mind shipping, usually he has all the stock parts you need.
Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Good call Domo. Not sure if he has any hoods though. But he is a great guy if he can get ahold of one.

X2 on Domo's then X3 for higvoltage1...

I've gone through murphyslaw for parts before. He's a good guy to deal with here on SL.
You can click the link in my sig line if you want to contact him.

Sucks about the damage and proves how worthless people can be sometimes to not own-up to their own actions. Bumper replacement most likely I would say... and hood... I'd say replacement as well. I've done a good amount of body work before on cars...and at least from the pic it looks like it's back under enough to leave a nasty crease in the metal. Would be a complete PITA to get out IMHO.

Either way you go... GL... I feel for ya. I'd be quite ticked off if that happened to mine. Accidents sometimes happen... the only one's I'd be ticked at are like the ones that did that to your car and just left. If someone accidently back into my car but left their info... I'd be bummed but not ticked off at all.

Last edited by Mouse; 06-28-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:23 AM

Hey ace your not alone, couple of weeks ago someone decided to rub against my rear bumper on the passenger side. I fixed it up with some touch-up paint, not perfect of course. But it is not as bad as that front bumper of yours.

I am no perfect driver, but I wish some people can actually give a damn about someone else car when they are parking their &%*$&%^ vehicle. Anyways best of luck with your car man.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you repair the hood at a decent body shop it will be hundreds of dollars. Same for a OEM bumper cover and paint. If this is the route you will take then likely it would be cheaper just to pay the $500 deductible on the insurance and have it all done properly.

But if you can be patient and source the OEM hood and bumper in a matching color from someone changing theirs for a carbon fiber hood and/or body kit then you would be in luck. You can get OEM hood and bumper cover in the same color and likely pay just a couple of hundred or so for both.

Then their is the aftermarket alternative - carbon fiber hood and aftermarket bumper cover or spoiler kit.

So you have a few choices. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to go through my insurance. I figured no matter what I did, in all likelihood it will be over $500 to fix. I'm getting it appraised in 2 days. I'm probably going to get the Seibon CF Hood for $448 and figure something out with the bumper (prob see if junkyards have one). Kind of depends what my insurance ends up giving me for the damage.

The good news is I was figuring my premium would go up since I'm making a claim and I have no proof that I didn't do the damage myself, but I talked to my insurance agent yesterday and he said as long as there's a police report filed as a hit and run I'm not at fault so I won't be penalized with a bigger premium.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have a few bumpers, if you don't find a used one in the correct color. Each of these would need some work and paint anyway. I'm not far from you, just south of Worcester, so no shipping required.
I just had the blue one, one of the rears, and a gfx kit painted FM - could hook you up with getting one of the other bumpers painted if you want. Let me know.

Name:  IMG_1754.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  181.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1834.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  102.3 KB
Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

holy moly, thats awesome
Old 07-01-2010, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lil_Deuce_tCoupe
I have a few bumpers, if you don't find a used one in the correct color. Each of these would need some work and paint anyway. I'm not far from you, just south of Worcester, so no shipping required.
I just had the blue one, one of the rears, and a gfx kit painted FM - could hook you up with getting one of the other bumpers painted if you want. Let me know.
That's awesome! I may be in touch with you once I figure out what I'm getting from my insurance.