Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]
View Poll Results: Should I do the trade?
Yes! Do it!
60.71%
Nah...wait till later on!
39.29%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Would you do it? Trade '06 tC for Evo???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Would you do it? Trade '06 tC for Evo???

Man, I've been thinking about it for a while. My dream car was to have a Mitsubishi EVO MR. Recently I've been thinking of just trading in my '06 RS2 tC for a used EVO with less than 20,000 miles. I'm still in college, expecting to graduate in a little over a year. Working full time. Making less than 20,000 a year. What do you guys think. Would I be able to handle the payments and insurance for five years or so?

Are there anything negative about the EVO? One reason, why I want to upgrade is because I want more power. The tC is just not making it for me. I'm young, do you think choosing to upgrade to an EVO right now will ruin my credit and my future?

Whenever I see an EVO parked somewhere I always check it out like it was a hot chick or something. The front end just looks so damn hot! And all those modified EVOs are just much more appealing.

Help me out!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hmmmm.. if you think u can afford an evo Go For It.. I love an evo also and i will own one one day...(not for a long time)..lol.. i heard the insurance on those kind of cars are high thoo..sort out the finances first and make sure u have enough money so you wont end up in trouble..lol i dont sound like a 17 year old do i??
Old 01-30-2007, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

money comes and goes but that evo will always be there. trade it in now! I love that car
Old 01-30-2007, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We don't know your financial details, so we can't really say whether you'd be able to swing it or not. If you really sacrificed and didn't take on a gf, or broke up with your current one...you could probably swing it. I guess it's just a question of how bad you really want that car?

Just going on would I rather have a tC or an EVO? I'd pick the EVO.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I personally would go with the subaru wrx......
Old 01-30-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Id not get a evo...id go for an sti
I wont be able to afford either for a long time...
Maybe a 5 series instead...even more money lol
Old 01-30-2007, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Um. . .

Less than 20 thousand per year, I would not. Gas (91 octane), insurance, maintenance, and cost. I was in your shoes before I started law school, and I realized that a reliable and efficient car that did not bend me over with the insurance is the way to go.

Personal advice not to be taken as ego: wait until you are making more money, because nothing is sadder than the broke dude who is a slave to his hot car.

I passed on a used G35 and while I look back sometimes, I like feeling a few bucks in the wallet from time to time. So, I would wait.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, financially, I am pretty stable right now. Not much of a financail problem. Bills that i have to pay every month are cell phone bill, cable/high speed internet bill, car payments, insurance, minor credit card bills, i think thats about it.

Right now, I'm paying $277 a month for car payments and $240 a month for insuring my tC. Phone bill is like $25 a month. I don't really have to worry about credit card bills right now because there is no interest until 2009. I owe about $15,000 on my tC.

I'm just starting to do more in depth research of the EVO. I know i'll be paying for premium fuel with the EVO, heck, I'm already paying Premium Fuel for my tC. I've heard that the turbo lag on the EVO is pretty bad. Anyone can chime in about this? And Gas mileage is terrible!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

if i could afford the insurance i would do it in a hart beat.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

tong, u gonna get rid of the tc? how sad, after u put all that money into it. dang. well i personally would not pass on the chance to get an evo tho. specially one with that low of mileage. i think u would be ok. u still live at home with the parentals right? i think u can swing it if u do. p.s. can i get the supercharger off of u? hehehe
Old 01-30-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would say nah .. lets save some more up and get the new EVO. The used evos got beaten up then they traded in ..
Old 01-30-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

only making 20k i wouldnt do it.

the tC will get you by for a while until you can afford the EVO. the evo will be around for a while, well maybe, seeing as how mitsubishi does, but that shouldnt be your main concern right now.

also, i personally wouldnt purchase a used evo because most owners who have them usually abuse the hell out of them, and that is just not good for hte second hand buyer.

also, you said that you wanted to modify it, however read mitsubishi's warranty statement, it goes something like.. MITSUBISHI WILL VOID THE WARRANTY UPON THE INSTALLATION OF ANY PERFORMANCE PART, BE IT AN INTAKE, ALL THE WAY DOWN TO GROUND WIRES!!!

do not go with an evo if you want to modify it, and your only gonna make 20k, becuase god forbid anything goes wrong, and you dont have warranty, i doubt your gonna have the money to fix the car.

so i vote keep the tC
Old 01-30-2007, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd take it back to stock as much as possible. I think i'll keep the S/C on there, it might give me more for the trade in. If I will be paying less than $300 for car payments and less than $300 for insurance, I think I'll be able to survive.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i would say nah .. lets save some more up and get the new EVO. The used evos got beaten up then they traded in ..

Damn good point. If you can realistically afford the car, then go for it, but remember that people who get rid of great cars either could not afford them themselves, or they rode the hell out of them and traded em in for a new one.

I had a buddy with a WRX and he rode the ____ out of that poor car and sold it to a high school student for what appeared to be a good deal. He never knew that this buddy of mine raced this car well into the redline daily for months.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

its your money.. and at the end of the day you're the one thats going to be dealing with the maintenence,payments etc for whatever car you choose.. so choose what you want =].. if i had the choice i'd trade in the tc for an evo

good luck to you n_n
Old 01-30-2007, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I probably won't modify the EVO cause it's already 250+ to the wheels.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, how would this work. I have a friend who would be interested in buying my tC. If I sell it to her, how do i transfer the payments to her? I just want to sell it to her for whatever I still owe TFS. She'll just take over the same monthly payments that I pay now. Then she'll pay me an extra couple thousands for the downpayment of the EVO. Is this making sense?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Seems to me he's already made his mind up.....and he's getting the evo.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope. Haven't made up my mind yet? I'm still figuring things out. And considering your guy's input.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

although I must agree that I would love an evo from where u r on payments for ur tc if u trade it u still owe the money so ull be paying for the evo and the tc at the same time but will only have 1 car if u work it into a finance also personally I don't think I would buy a used evo because everyone who has them beats the ____ out of em (i kno I would) and also the car is very high maintenace and I also heard its very tempermental so idk but that's my opion good luck though

Quick Reply: Would you do it? Trade '06 tC for Evo???