Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Best springs for Performance? (Auto-X)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Best springs for Performance? (Auto-X)

So I had an auto-x on Saturday, got some used 225/45/17 Direzza Star Specs on the stock wheels (previously, running 18x7.5 +35 FN01R-Cs with 225/40/18 Kumho Ecsta SPTs). First run was with 39PSI, chalked the tires, and the fronts were wearing too far over the shoulder (past the little "arrow" where the edge of treadwear should be) and the car was understeering. Rears were fine at 35. So, I thought I may not have enough pressure, and bumped then fronts up to 42PSI. Still wearing too far on the shoulder, understeer way less though. All-in-all, it felt worse than my old Kumhos, and these are WAY better tires, doesn't make sense.

I'm thinking since I'm on Hotchkis springs, I'm too low (mine seem lower than Thorium06's were) and I'm getting too much positive camber in the corners. I'm already running -2 degrees camber, and it's running on the outside of the tire. Would increasing the track via spacers to the old 7.5 width +35 stance help?

I definitely need to get some springs ~1.5 drop for this to handle better. As a broke college student, coilovers are kinda out of the budget. I have Tokico HP shocks to help.

Which springs would be best for performance? Vogtland, TRD and H&R are looking appealing height-wise, don't know which ones have the optimal spring rates.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're likely just too low. It has been proven in the past that about 1.3 or 1.4" is about ideal like you mention aiming for about 1.5". Anything lower than that and you're losing performance.

You may also just need more tire pressure. It would not be uncommon to go over 40+ PSI. Maybe even 45. I was running about 41 or 42 with RE01Rs yesterday.

As for springs, I have H&R Sport right now (with Tokicos) and I'd say they're not stiff enough. From what I've heard, the TRD are probably the best you're going to get. Right height, (I believe) more stiff than the H&R. No one seems to know what the Vogtland spring rates are and not many people are running them, so I can't say anything about them.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Raceland coilovers.

IB4poopstorm
Old 05-17-2010, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
You're likely just too low. It has been proven in the past that about 1.3 or 1.4" is about ideal like you mention aiming for about 1.5". Anything lower than that and you're losing performance.

You may also just need more tire pressure. It would not be uncommon to go over 40+ PSI. Maybe even 45. I was running about 41 or 42 with RE01Rs yesterday.

As for springs, I have H&R Sport right now (with Tokicos) and I'd say they're not stiff enough. From what I've heard, the TRD are probably the best you're going to get. Right height, (I believe) more stiff than the H&R. No one seems to know what the Vogtland spring rates are and not many people are running them, so I can't say anything about them.
Thanks for the input, I may just have to wait it out and get some SSPs or something. Doesn't seem like any great springs are out.

It's strange though, on my Kumhos 39 was about perfect.

How much better are the H&Rs in auto-x than your old Hotchkis?

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Raceland coilovers.
Lol. How could I forget? I could slam the hell outta them, take some rings out, and it will handle like it wasn't FWD.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pinoyFMtC
Thanks for the input, I may just have to wait it out and get some SSPs or something. Doesn't seem like any great springs are out.

It's strange though, on my Kumhos 39 was about perfect.

How much better are the H&Rs in auto-x than your old Hotchkis?
A lot of people have done the TRDs and loved them. I just haven't tried them.

Keep in mind that some tires like different pressures than others. And if I recall some friends talking, I think the Dunlops love higher pressures. It's just something you'll have to experiment with as the events go by.

I can't really give a fair comparison from the H&R to Hotchkis. I have a lot more done to my car now than I did when I had the Hotchkis. They definitely felt a lot more stiff than the H&Rs but it wasn't even close to handling the way it does now - but that is thanks in part to a few other goodies I've added since then.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tein h-techs
Old 05-17-2010, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
A lot of people have done the TRDs and loved them. I just haven't tried them.

Keep in mind that some tires like different pressures than others. And if I recall some friends talking, I think the Dunlops love higher pressures. It's just something you'll have to experiment with as the events go by.

I can't really give a fair comparison from the H&R to Hotchkis. I have a lot more done to my car now than I did when I had the Hotchkis. They definitely felt a lot more stiff than the H&Rs but it wasn't even close to handling the way it does now - but that is thanks in part to a few other goodies I've added since then.
Alright, I'll have to try the pressure. Cheaper than new springs haha.

Even if they were more stiff, the H&R are probably better for suspension geometry.

Originally Posted by 06sciontcnda704
tein h-techs
I had those. Handled TERRIBLE, since they're comfort oriented. Really soft spring rate + low=bad handling. With 1.9F and 1.6R, the fronts are about as low as Hotchkis, which wouldn't help me at all.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any word on the eibach sports? they seem to have a good drop but I cant find rates for them.

Also, I think you are too picky, cause I really think yours handles better than mine at this point, but something is messed up with mine so maybe thats the problem lol.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thorium06
Any word on the eibach sports? they seem to have a good drop but I cant find rates for them.

Also, I think you are too picky, cause I really think yours handles better than mine at this point, but something is messed up with mine so maybe thats the problem lol.
Those are a 2" drop though. The Pro-Kit is a 1.2" drop. I need something between the two. And I can't find rates either.

Picky with everything but food lol.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah I was referring to the 1.2 drop ones, forgot which ones they were.

just throw some washers between your tophats and mounts lol
Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 PM

This maybe a dumb question but does anyone know if using lowering springs like TRD springs or something like those will cause you to have camber issues? I'm just looking for 1-1.5 inches of drop
Old 05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you will need to get an alignment but you wont need any camber bolts or anything like that
Old 05-18-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by DJ08tC
you will need to get an alignment but you wont need any camber bolts or anything like that
Thanks!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I say get the TRD springs... 1.25 inch drop all around!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^I'm definitely considering them haha.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Banned
SL Member

i would personally go with trd springs and trd struts
Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My thoughts are go with the eibach pro-kit. Springs settle and you sometimes get another .25 inch extra if they settle a lot. Which would bring you to your 1.45" drop if that holds true.

I've heard good things about Eibach and was actually strongly considering them myself until I bought the Raceland Coilovers.

I am not auto-x'ing though and the two people who did auto-x in the Raceland coils said they were softer than they hoped (though for me they are stiff as hell!) and really couldn't see running them more than a few times before having to replace them due to the abuse. Though folks have gotten 15k+ on them in normal driving.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so since the point is about actual performance, lets refrain from the racelands...

the eibachs do look promising as far as drop, but nowhere can I find spring rates for them.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by djspectre
My thoughts are go with the eibach pro-kit. Springs settle and you sometimes get another .25 inch extra if they settle a lot. Which would bring you to your 1.45" drop if that holds true.

I've heard good things about Eibach and was actually strongly considering them myself until I bought the Raceland Coilovers.

I am not auto-x'ing though and the two people who did auto-x in the Raceland coils said they were softer than they hoped (though for me they are stiff as hell!) and really couldn't see running them more than a few times before having to replace them due to the abuse. Though folks have gotten 15k+ on them in normal driving.
Yeah, the Pro-Kit looks like a good option. It all depends on the spring rates though and like Thorium said, they're nowhere to be found. The drop would be perfect though.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just a thought, but how would ground control coil-over sleeve springs do? I already have upgraded shocks, and their springs are made by eibach. They have adjustable ride height and they seem pretty stiff.

Quick Reply: Best springs for Performance? (Auto-X)