Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Brake Pedal Making Clicking Noises & Feels Loose

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brake Pedal Making Clicking Noises & Feels Loose

Anyone else had this problem? I'm trying to diagnose it to see if it's worth taking in to the dealer (car is barely still under warranty). It's a 2007 Tc Automatic.

The brake pedal assembly itself has some noticeable lateral play, and tends to have more play when pushed over to the right side. Do the pins and bushings that mount the pedal assembly in place actually wear out or become dry, causing creaking noises?

I also notice that at times when I press down on the pedal and release it after being at a stop light, etc. a pop or click sound comes up from around where the master cylinder push rod and brake booster pin are located? Like something was stuck and then pops unstuck. My Tc is close to 3 years old...Is it possible these parts are just wearing down or is a sign of something more serious?

The braking system itself works fine, but my brake pedal seriously sounds old and creaky and it's definitely got noticeable side-to-side play in it when you apply your foot, or are holding it down at a stop light. Any info would be great so I can know what to focus on or describe to the dealership.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, I just got back in from looking into everything a little further. After depressing the brake pedal until it becomes stiff and then letting up, there is a creaking/popping noise coming from the area approximate to the arrow in my pic.

I took a quick video of the brake pedal play as well, and I'll link that in a bit once I get it uploaded.

I really hope this is something that'll be an easy fix...
Old 05-20-2009, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine has some lateral play but none of the other symptoms you mentioned. I wonder is that is normal as well.
I have a 2006 MT.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did some searching around here earlier when I got home from work, but most of the brake talk I came across related to external noise, pulsing, etc. Some of the more common brake symptoms. I wonder if I'll just have to bring it in for an inspection. I might as well since it's at about 32k right now. My curiousity has definitely got the better of me now though...
Old 05-20-2009, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try hitting the joints with any whit lithium grease yet? Mine was creaky last year until I did this
Old 05-20-2009, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's going to be the next thing i try. i've got a can of white lithium grease, i just need to find a small stiff brush or something equivalent to help pack the grease in a bit around the bushings and clevis pin.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hope the quality on this isn't too crappy...Right around 18 seconds and then again at 28 seconds you can hear the creaking/popping noise. This occurs after I've pumped the pedal and made movement on the pedal to release it.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The suction noise sounds normal but that clunking is strange, then again I've never paid much attention to mine as long as I don't hear it while driving
Old 05-21-2009, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It seems to have become more noticeable over the last month or so. Like it used to happen every once in awhile, now it's pretty much every time I need to use the brake pedal and release it. I think I'll lube the critical points and then just take it in to the dealer. It just seems to feel very sloppy to me, especially for only being about 2.5 years old.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did a bit more digging around online and came across some similar complaints that indicate the brake light switch might be faulty or getting to the point of being faulty...That it can actually cause a clicking noise...That seems a bit higher up though. I guess I'll do some more troubleshooting when I get home from work tomorrow...

Old 05-21-2009, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ yes you're onto something. There is a clicking noise, my friend had it. Turned out that the stop light switch was binding making the pedal feel like it was popping.

all you have to do is push the brake pedal down, reach up and manually push the stop switch plunger back n forth, see if that's the noise.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching
Old 05-21-2009, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahhh that makes sense. i'm going to try that when i get home. makes sense to isolate the probable source of noise. and that's exactly what's happening...as soon as you let up on the brake pedal there's a popping feeling like something was binding, followed with a single clicking noise. i'll let you guys know what i find out when i get home and get a chance to work on it. glad to know i'm not losing my mind and that it has happened to another tc owner.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM

Any update on this? I'm having the exact same problem. Seems to be getting worse for me as well. Of course, I took it to the dealer yesterday and it wasn't happening. I asked them to specifically look at the stop light switch, but apparently they ignored me because it's still making the same sound. They said they just greased everything up down there and hopefully that will work.

I'm in Tampa too. To it to the Courtesy Toyota in Brandon.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ you don't grease an electrical switch! lol take it to another dealership, one that actually cares to help you.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:37 PM

I don't think they greased up the switch. At least I hope not!

I guess my post was a little unclear. I'm assuming they just greased where appropriate in the brake pedal assembly and totally ignored looking at the switch.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I took my Scion to Sun Toyota a couple weeks ago, I asked them to specifically look at the Brake Light Switch as I thought it was going bad, making clicking noise each time the pedal was let up. This part cracks me up...I was waiting on the bench outside and actually overheard the tech talking with the service manager. He said that he heard the noise, but just tightened up the actual pedal itself and lubes the bushing areas.

After overhearing this, I just ordered a new Brake Light Switch in the Parts Department and picked it up last week. This switch does come with a light coating of grease (can't think of the exact name of that clear electrical grease), and if you unclip the rear portion from the actual arm part of the switch, the inside is nothing more than a plastic pole piece with electrical contacts on the end. A small spring seats into the end of the pole and provides tension against the back of the plug housing.

My guess is, on our older switches, the spring is failing or has lost tension, or the contact points inside have become worn down too far in their aligning grooves. It should be pretty evident once I get the defective one out and open it up.

I'm going to see about installing my new one this weekend. The only problem is, that switch is way the hell up in there, underneath the dashboard. Looking at the Toyota Service Manual, they actually show removal of the dash cluster gauge. I'm wondering if this allows access to the brake light switch in an easier way? Hm. I hope so. I really hate getting under the dash and working in that weird angle.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by daxII
When I took my Scion to Sun Toyota a couple weeks ago, I asked them to specifically look at the Brake Light Switch as I thought it was going bad, making clicking noise each time the pedal was let up. This part cracks me up...I was waiting on the bench outside and actually overheard the tech talking with the service manager. He said that he heard the noise, but just tightened up the actual pedal itself and lubes the bushing areas.

After overhearing this, I just ordered a new Brake Light Switch in the Parts Department and picked it up last week. This switch does come with a light coating of grease (can't think of the exact name of that clear electrical grease), and if you unclip the rear portion from the actual arm part of the switch, the inside is nothing more than a plastic pole piece with electrical contacts on the end. A small spring seats into the end of the pole and provides tension against the back of the plug housing.

My guess is, on our older switches, the spring is failing or has lost tension, or the contact points inside have become worn down too far in their aligning grooves. It should be pretty evident once I get the defective one out and open it up.

I'm going to see about installing my new one this weekend. The only problem is, that switch is way the hell up in there, underneath the dashboard. Looking at the Toyota Service Manual, they actually show removal of the dash cluster gauge. I'm wondering if this allows access to the brake light switch in an easier way? Hm. I hope so. I really hate getting under the dash and working in that weird angle.
naw you don't have to take the dash apart to get it. Just requires you laying on your back looking up with a flashlight.. or one of those big shop lights. Just make sure you tighten it down correctly, because the dealer didn't and it fell off.. lol had to help my friend put it back on.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha man. yeah it looks like there's a ridged sleeve it fits into, then you turn it clockwise once you've got the button to the correct length against the pedal sub-assembly, then it locks into place. i might end up taking out my driver's seat just so i can get in there and lay down, instead of be all crammed up in the floorboard area.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay weekend project for you :D let us know how it works out !

Quick Reply: Brake Pedal Making Clicking Noises & Feels Loose