Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Brake Rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Brake Rotor question

hello
I currently have some axxis ultimate something or other brake pads and i was wondering what kind of bigger rotor kits there are? I know there are like the brembo gran turismo kit, but i dont want the braking performance it offers, i just want something to take up that freaking gap between my 18's and the stock rotors. I read some where on here that you can get 12.8 inch rotors i think they are to fit with the stock calipers. But how? Do I need a special adapter? Im just goin for looks, not race car stopping, afterall i have accepted its not the fastest thing in the world.... now if everyone in columbus could only realize this too.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

if you go to 12.8" rotors, you will need calipers, thats why Stop Tech kits and Wilwood have the calipers with those rotors

you can get upgraded rotors and still utilize the stock calipers i.e. power slot or HP F1 rotors, which i have
good braking power, looks better behind the wheels, but im not worried about looks, i need performance.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think there is one company that offers oversize rotors that relocate the factory calipers. Can't remember the name at the moment. Ah here it is power slot plus:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...5&autoModClar=
I'm not sure how this effects brake balance though. Could actually lengthen stopping distances.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Powerslot offers the rotor upgrade with stock caliper relocation bracket, but it'll cost you about 500 bucks.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

gettin bigger rotors does not require larger calipers

currently, powerslot is the only company that offers larger larger rotors for the stock calipers called the powerslot PLUS

wilwood and stoptech offer a BIG BRAKE KIT and that tis complete with pads, calipers, and larger rotors.

i have the powerslot plus rotors with axxis ultimate pads and i've allowed more than a dozen people drive and brake the hell out of the car and everyone said they loved it and plan on doing the same setup.

pro's with this kit is that it provides better braking because of larger rotor diameter.

the con is because of the larger rotor, under heavy braking, it will cause a lot of weight transfering to the front causing the car to "nose dive." but this is only when you LATE/HEAVY BRAKE though. under normal driving, its perfectly fine
Old 03-27-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, quick question. I plan to buy those StopTech brakes for the front (I like the way they look, they get good feedback, and I hear they do a good job) but I don't want to have a nice filling rotor up front and the nasty small rotor in the rear. For people that bought these front-only BBKs, what have you guys done about the rear rotors?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

there are upgrades for the rear such as the powerslot plus rotors (front and rear upgrade)

but the con is wat i have stated before for the front
and the rear. you might risk locking up the rear wheels.

best brake upgrade is better tires.
you should get better tires before gettin brake upgrades.

without grip, u wont be able to stop or go
Old 03-27-2006, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
there are upgrades for the rear such as the powerslot plus rotors (front and rear upgrade)

but the con is wat i have stated before for the front
and the rear. you might risk locking up the rear wheels.

best brake upgrade is better tires.
you should get better tires before gettin brake upgrades.

without grip, u wont be able to stop or go
I have the 18" Enkeis with Pirellis... Later I'm gonna put Falkens on it... either way, they're high performance tires and should do a good job.

So, then, is there a BBK that does all the brakes, or is there a set of rotors (maybe the Powerslots?) that matches the ones made by StopTech?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SF2K4
So, then, is there a BBK that does all the brakes, or is there a set of rotors (maybe the Powerslots?) that matches the ones made by StopTech?
As of now there are no 4 wheel big brake kits for the tC available direct from any of the manufacturers. We offer (and I myself use this) stock sized rotors in slotted or drilled that have matching slot/drill patterns as those used on our BBKs. Stainless steel lines and high performance pads are also avialable to help round out the performance. The rotor size is still the same as stock, but they will look nicer behind your wheels. If you decide to go with our front BBK, I would not recommend using the powerslot rear big rotor upgrade since our front kits are designed to work with the stock rear brakes. We actually dial in some rear brake bias with our caliper piston sizes, so by using the larger rotor you would be further adding rear bias which can lead to snap oversteer under braking.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i really tink it all depends on your level of tunring.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the powerslot plus kit with ultimates, and SS brake lines and synthetci brake fluid.......I love it, it s levels above stock, nowhere near a true BBK, but I dont take my car to the track, or race.....

i was looking for something to help stop the 19"s on my car.

anyways the front was 500.00 shipped and im considering getting the rear which is like 300 shipped., ss brake lines 100.00 and the fluid was 20.00 so its about 1000.00 for a 4 wheel upgrade.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
i really tink it all depends on your level of tunring.
Depending on the level of rear bias, it is completely possible to have the car spin under straight line braking on a flat surface. It is an extreme case, but in wet weather or tapping the brakes on a freeway onramp the car can spin without warning faster than its possible to react. Im not saying that it will happen with that combination of parts, but im also not going to be the one to test it out on my car.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you mention not using the PS rear kit, is that with your kit? or can it safely be used in conjunction with the front PS kit i already have?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
you mention not using the PS rear kit, is that with your kit? or can it safely be used in conjunction with the front PS kit i already have?
I was referring to our big brake kit. You are probably OK using it with their front big rotor upgrade since the front toruqe is being increased along with the rear.