Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Bye Bye Hotchkis! DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Werd.

I was originally set on the azenis 615's myself, but after hearing a LOT of good things about the Dunlop Direzza Z1's, I might have to consider that one as well. People who've tested them say they're certainly a worthy competitor.

Any thoughts? They're certainly a bit cheaper. I was originally sorta wary on dunlops, but people are raving about them.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't say I've heard much of anything about them yet. At least not in my circle of autox people. Everyone is still in love with the Azenis. Though after checking tirerack and discounttire, I don't know if the Dunlops come in a size for the tC. I didn't see one on those two anyways.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

h techs are a dream come true, i have them on stock shocks and they ride so nice, not rough at all, just do not hit any potholes and go around the bumps on the road and you will be happy.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
I can't say I've heard much of anything about them yet. At least not in my circle of autox people. Everyone is still in love with the Azenis. Though after checking tirerack and discounttire, I don't know if the Dunlops come in a size for the tC. I didn't see one on those two anyways.
They come in the size I run, for sure... 225 / 40 - 18
Old 04-08-2008, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah... ya, that'll work. I'm still on OEM wheels, so nothing for me.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 PM
SL Member

yeppers peppers
Old 04-08-2008, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just had a call from Showstoppers and springs should be here in 4-5 days. Should line right up with when my struts arrive.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

For those wanting to go lower... just read what I said above and keep in mind that lower is not better when it comes to handling. It is to a certain extent... but past that point it will handle worse than optimal.. and too much more it will be worse than stock. Like I said, that point seems to be about 1.4 inches on the tC. If you slam it.. it is for looks only. If you want the smoothest ride, stay stock (no drop will ride better than stock). If you want handling, it is in the middle.

Havent really heard much about the dunlops. In the autox circles I am in, which includes a number of nationals level guys, so they have a bit more exposure than I do, the RE 01R Bridgestones seem to the way to go. However, for the small improvement over the Azenis... and the fact the azenis can be had for $100 each, keeps me on the Azenis track. Although they are not THE tire to have anymore in autox, they have been tried and true and are very good tires for it.

The bigger complaint I have heard with them, mainly on test n tune days where we have two courses, its mid july and you can get 25 - 30 runs easilly, is that when they get too hot, they get slippery. A lot of guys have started bringing in sprayer bottles and spraying the tires down between runs to cool them off. But, typically you have a good amount of cool down time between runs in a normal event, so I dont think it is a huge issue.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Grr... Vulcan Tire is backordered on the 225/45 tires. DiscountTire has them for $14 more (for the set).... so it's not awful. $468 shipped.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can't wait to see, especially the azenis treads.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Just had a call from Showstoppers and springs should be here in 4-5 days. Should line right up with when my struts arrive.
Hehe good thing I told you about it...I helped you save about 70 bucks :D .
Old 04-09-2008, 11:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, no kidding. Much appreciated!
Old 04-21-2008, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Waiting on my springs now.

Were supposed to be here last week (mon/tues?). I emailed on Thurs looking for status. Will have to call tomorrow if I don't hear anything today. Not cool.

It's hard to try to plan an install when you don't even have all of the parts.

Tires and tokicos are here though.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Noics
SL Member

impretty sure the H&R's have a lower spring rate so they arent gonna be as stiff which will help with comfort but hurt when it comes to autoX'ing. from what i've found the Tein S-Techs are the only springs with a higher spring rate then the Hotchkis. and despite whatthey say the Teins are a little higher than hotchkis. if ur tryna get a little moretravel out of ur suspension when rolling into a corner S-techs woulda actually been a better bet. but if ur tryna get comfy first and autoXperformance 2nd then u chose fine. im running hotchkis and just got my full set of Tokico Blues and 225 BFGoodrich KDW2's. the combo should make the car pull 1.10+ G's in the proper conditions. b4 the tokico's the car pulled 1.07G in a hard turn at about 30-45. itsa beast. best of luck with ur setup.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^

How did you measure your lateral grip? Was it with a electronic device that calculated g-force load while you took a corner? Or was this trough testing the car out in a slalom and calculating it out with your veichles speed and time? I'm sorry, I just find it hard to belive that the KDW's will pull anything near that much grip.

Anyho, yes, you will love the 615's I'm also running them in 225/45's and found out that 38psi and 35psi in the rears hit the sweet spot on mine. You'll notice that they will "bulge" out, but just a tad bit. There is no better tire out there for the money. The RE01r is a better tire, but at over $230 a tire for the same size, I'd much rather purchase some Nto1's, which are dot approved R-comps.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Noics
SL Member

Originally Posted by WendysOrBust
^^^^

How did you measure your lateral grip? Was it with a electronic device that calculated g-force load while you took a corner? Or was this trough testing the car out in a slalom and calculating it out with your veichles speed and time? I'm sorry, I just find it hard to belive that the KDW's will pull anything near that much grip.
Im using a Beltronics Vector FX2. it records constant AND peak Gforces on a forwards/reverse and left/right lateral plane. in slaloms its pulling sumwhere in the high 70-high 80 range on the harder turns which may come once or twice in a course 1.0-sumthing. 1.07 being the highest i've seen on more than one lap on a course. u dont have to bleve me. u wouldnt be the first one to. its whatever to me tho. my buddy was riding along with me during a few autoX's and he has been watching it for me. he is the one that was calling out the numbers on it. i can ask him to take a picture or sumthing but thats not exactly safe. i'll have vids up one of these days and an incar will show it. i dont think people know how good KDW's really are. they rank right up there with Azenis 615's in my opinion. with a little longer treadlife and the ability to handle water with ease. also my suspension mods include hotchkis front and rear sway to accompany the hotchkis springs. i prolly shoulda included that in the original post. anyone who knows me knows i RAVE about hotchkis's products. they are RIDICULOUSLY nice. now i wish the springs were a little higher tho cuz im rubbing a bit with the 225's on 17s.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, I'm mostly focused on comfort with a "concern" for autox. I'm definitely still going to be racing, but the ride has been bothering me for a little while now.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Noics
SL Member

i can understand ur position. im tired of riding down these tatter torn, used and abused city streets myself. the on/off ramps tide me over till the next autoX event tho and keep me from saying "eff it" that and im hoping the shocks/struts will smoth the bumps out more than these BLOWN to hell OEM's are doing rofl.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

OHHH You're going to love the Azenis! Best tires I've been on yet.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

<Best Professor Impression>GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!</Impression>

Springs came today. Figures... me getting worried and all. Phew...

So the plan is... if I can an friend or two to help out this weekend, springs/struts go on Saturday. Tire mounting and alignment on maybe wednesday next week? And then our first race is NEXT sunday.

Quick Reply: Bye Bye Hotchkis! DONE!