Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Cheap Rotors and Brake Pads??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 01:22 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is an NSX site, so I figure they would be able to talk about higher end parts since their cars are a bit more performance oriented than most.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/brakelines.htm

Yeah, bleeding sucks. Try to replace your stock bleeders with speed bleeders. They are awesome.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Interesting read - however, I'm inclined to trust StopTech's SS Lines - they've been used for a while on Celicas (the ones I have are the same). And according to that FAQ you posted, the Stoptechs are truly DOT approved (uppercase, not lowercase!). We'll see.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:55 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, yeah....DOT and not Dot..........that's cool............let us know how they go. Good luck
Old 12-08-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just want to clear up some misconceptions about brake lines in general. While people have reported brake line failures like you are stating, that does not mean that "all lines" will also have these issues. Our lines are perfectly streetable and in many cases outlast the cars the are installed on. A quality line that is built correctly and tested accurately will not only improve the pedal feel and responsiveness of the system, but also maintain that level of performance for its complete lifespan, which is quite a bit longer than that of a factory rubber type line.

I would also like to state that the link you provided to the NSX site is over 6 years old and make some pretty bold blanket statements that are not backed up with any kind of specifics. There are "bad" parts out there that I would not be comfortable running on my own car, but after building, testing and installing our lines my tC and my STI and seeing the quality of the parts and procedures, I have no qualms about running them all the time for many many years in the future.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:48 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey no problem. I was stating my opinions about the lines through the information I received through that website. If you use them and they work great, then more power to you. I am simply saying that personally, I am too skeptical about them and wouldn't want to try them.

I would first change my fluid to DOT 4 for it's higher boiling point and slightly stiffer pedal feel. Other than that, for the driving that I do (which is just normal highway/city and periodic racing), stock rubber lines are more than enough for me.

As I stated, if others have used the lines and they worked good for them and they say that it's a good buy, then it's fair for me to say that I would not put them on my car b/c of the fact that they are harder to inspect and not necessary.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
I just want to clear up some misconceptions about brake lines in general. While people have reported brake line failures like you are stating, that does not mean that "all lines" will also have these issues. Our lines are perfectly streetable and in many cases outlast the cars the are installed on. A quality line that is built correctly and tested accurately will not only improve the pedal feel and responsiveness of the system, but also maintain that level of performance for its complete lifespan, which is quite a bit longer than that of a factory rubber type line.
That's what i was waiting for! Thanks, Instigator.

Oh yeah and Web - DOT4 fluid's included with the stoptech stage 2 kit. My brakes feel awesome now.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:55 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, that's what I thought it was.

Does anyone know about DOT 5, synthetic fluid? It's used for motorcycles but some bottles I've seen said not for use with cars.