Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Do I have an LSD???

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yea thanks guys i just wanted to make sure before i put the wrong oil in it, sounds to me toyota made a diff that can split the power well in a low torque car.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheLowDown
yea thanks guys i just wanted to make sure before i put the wrong oil in it, sounds to me toyota made a diff that can split the power well in a low torque car.

pardon me but... low tq car? lol i mean the numbers may seem low to you...165 on the 07+ models..i dont find low at all, and when u mate that to the short gearing of the 5spd manual trans the tc act like a car with 200ftlbs of tq easily
Old 12-25-2009, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I know that 4.28 is low but.....its still a 4cyl
Old 12-25-2009, 01:33 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know that 4.28 is low but.....its still a 4cyl

your point?

tell it to the lt1 camaros i used to beat when i was boltons...
Old 12-25-2009, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

This is not a size contest. My point is that our open diff can handle our torque. Will be a different story, as many have pointed out; if you install....lets say a turbo that will make it perform like a V8.
Btw a turbo is not a bolt on for a scion. allot of tuning is required to run a turbo. Also you did not beat a new camaro or a camaro with a motor that still has compression with a cold air intake and exhaust on your scion.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:52 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i consider turbo bolt on. you do....just bolt it on afterall.

tuning is a afterthought for many in this community.

only internals are not bolt ons
Old 12-25-2009, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well "bolt on" could have many definitions. If you literally recognize "bolt on" as just physically bolting something onto your car, then yes turbo could be considered a bolt on. But if this is so, then almost every aftermarket product is a "bolt on" since you need to literally bolt it on.

Turbo's imo are not just a "bolt on" product as the OP said. It takes a lot of work to make the turbo run properly and some turbos need slight trimming and other little modifications.

Last edited by Domo; 12-25-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cburglb34
your point?

tell it to the lt1 camaros i used to beat when i was boltons...

If by bolt ons you mean IHEP im throwing the Flag.

Im sorry but a V8 rwd getting beat by a IHEP tC aint gonna happen. Unless my 3yr old nepew is driving.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is not a size contest. My point is that our open diff can handle our torque. Will be a different story, as many have pointed out; if you install....lets say a turbo that will make it perform like a V8.
Btw a turbo is not a bolt on for a scion. allot of tuning is required to run a turbo. Also you did not beat a new camaro or a camaro with a motor that still has compression with a cold air intake and exhaust on your scion.
when i said boltons i meant IHE...and a turbo is considered a bolt on in my book i can have a kit on in 4 hours tops....and will have you tuned in less that 2 hours.....on aem fic and 30 mins on safc

second i sad LT1 camaro not ls1 or ls3, with my turbo ill beat a ls1 transam ws6 or camaro, but most likely not the new ls3

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
If by bolt ons you mean IHEP im throwing the Flag.

Im sorry but a V8 rwd getting beat by a IHEP tC aint gonna happen. Unless my 3yr old nepew is driving.

this was form a 60 roll till 120 i had him the whole time....ofcourse from a dig itll be a different story...
Old 12-27-2009, 09:09 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Domo
Well "bolt on" could have many definitions. If you literally recognize "bolt on" as just physically bolting something onto your car, then yes turbo could be considered a bolt on. But if this is so, then almost every aftermarket product is a "bolt on" since you need to literally bolt it on.

Turbo's imo are not just a "bolt on" product as the OP said. It takes a lot of work to make the turbo run properly and some turbos need slight trimming and other little modifications.

i agree,but i jus sayin yo i jus sayin.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:11 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cburglb34
and a turbo is considered a bolt on in my book i can have a kit on in 4 hours tops....and will have you tuned in less that 2 hours.....on aem fic and 30 mins on safc
i've seen people take 4 hours on an exhaust and intake

i can put my turbo on and take it back off in 2 hours

i can tune the car in about 40 minutes using an fic.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aen
i've seen people take 4 hours on an exhaust and intake

i can put my turbo on and take it back off in 2 hours

i can tune the car in about 40 minutes using an fic.

i was including the time that it takes to drill n tap the oil pan....that pan is a pital to drill i swear but yea if already tapped a turbo can be installed imo faster than an exhaust, 6 bolts to head and two the to spipe and thern piping is a breeze

and yea im still learning the fic if i use a base map itll take just a few pulls but from scratch yes 2 hours....

hashaha yea i saw a header install take 4 hours i just sat with a beer watching as they failed...
Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well sorry to drag this beaten horse back here but i brought my car into the shop today for a lift test......according to blue_tc_ man my car has an LSD if both tires spin while the car is running in the air..... well guess what, both of my tires turned. Any thoughts? proff positive or not?
Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Only if you can grab one side and the other doesn't move. Here is a quick check(pardon safetyness)

Set Ebrake, chock rear wheel.
Jack up one side of car.
Take car out of gear(neutral).
Turn one of the front tires.
If it turns(LSD may give one full resolution) then its open.

IMO I think that is right. works for all LSDs I've tried(two)
Old 12-28-2009, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well sorry to drag this beaten horse back here but i brought my car into the shop today for a lift test......according to blue_tc_ man my car has an LSD if both tires spin while the car is running in the air..... well guess what, both of my tires turned. Any thoughts? proff positive or not?
if car is runnign and you get the speed up high enough both tires will spin. you need to have the car turned off, put it in gear and spin 1 tire if the other tire spins in the same direction then you have a lsd. If the other tire doesnt spin or spins in the oppisite direction then its not lsd..

And like most have said the dealer will not give you one for free, and about 95% off the dealers dont even install the lsd. So im 98% sure you do not have a lsd....
Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 AM
SL Member

an LSD on da tc would be nice... a pain to install though
Old 12-28-2009, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I’ve read allot of forums’ regarding the LSD and I’ve discovered that there is alot of misconceptions out there...the biggest misconception I’ve seen is the fact the trd LSD is not spring loaded and will respond only to traction and tq. This is why it behaves like an open LSD in the mud, ice, and water. It will also behave like a open diff in the air...there is no traction in the air...no tq to multiply to the other side. Sooooo if we can get back to what we know....I had my car idling (maybe I should of put it in third gear) in first gear both tires spun.. a buddy slowed down one tire and the other tire stopped...........while only one tire spinning I tried to slow down the only spinning tire; as I slowed the tire down, my buddy could no longer hold the idle tire..Both tires were spinning when we both tried to slow both tires down.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

biggest misconception I’ve seen is the fact the trd LSD is not spring loaded and will respond only to traction and tq. This is why it behaves like an open LSD in the mud, ice, and water.
I've never heard of an LSD like this.

not saying your wrong, just that I have never heard of it.

Well having no expierience beyond what I have stated, I have no idea...
Old 12-28-2009, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

"Geared LSDs wear the gears and their supports rather than the clutches of the clutch type and the cones of the cone type, but both output shafts have to be loaded to keep the proper torque distribution characteristics. Once an output shaft becomes free (e.g., one driven wheel lifts off the ground; or a summer tire comes over ice while another is on dry tarmac when the car goes uphill), no torque is transmitted to the second shaft and the torque-sensitive differential behaves like an open differential.
Geared LSDs are dependent on the torque and not on the speed difference between the output shafts. Such differentials may not be adequate on extremely slippery surfaces such as ice (or thin air, when a drive wheel loses ground contact altogether)"(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential).
Old 12-28-2009, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Touche^

Doesn't surprise me this would be the differential used...

Quick Reply: Do I have an LSD???