Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Does TRD Struts lowers your car even more?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Does TRD Struts lowers your car even more?

Hi, i just got TRD springs installed about a 3 months ago and they settles quite nicely but like every other tc owner with TRD springs wish that it was just a bit lower.

I'm barely at 15k miles and was wondering when my struts do go out, should i buy stock struts or upgrade to TRD struts, I called my dealer and they said the TRD Struts would make absolutely no difference in ride height if i already have TRD springs, But the thing is i've seen a couple of tc's with TRD strut/spring combo and they are alot lower than mines and have less wheel gap.

This has probably been asked a million times and i've tried using the search button but all it comes up with are comparrisons between koni yellows vs trd strut.

The search feature really needs to be redone i can never find anything i need.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

you shouldnt need new struts with such a minimal drop like TRD. struts shouldn't lower the car more and I installed TRD shocks a while back and noticed no difference in height. It should be quite a while if any that your stock shocks will blow with a TRD drop? I was ridding on Hotchkis springs for a little over a year and never had a problem with the stock shocks.

The koni yellows are made for springs with a more drop than TRD. Long story short, you got TRD springs, go with TRD shocks if you wanted, you got a bigger drop, go with koni's. However my hotchkis+TRD's are working fine.

:waiting for scion_jon to post 10 pics of his TRD's:
Old 09-21-2007, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i've been riding Hotchkis on stock struts for a little over 17000 miles now with no problems. and that's alot of driving on DC and Baltimore roads which are awful. theyve lasted alot longer than i expected, but i'm getting the TRD shocks in november. you really shouldnt need to worry about your struts going out with th TRD drop, and new struts wont make it any lower.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, the struts are just stiffer with more dampening than the stock ones. no difference in ride height.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude Nelson, why didn't you just ask me, I could've told you the answer lol, Personally I've been on Hotchkis for a good 15k miles, and another 15k on TRD prior to my Hotchkis, my struts are still working fine, although I'll be upgrading to B&G coils soon =D
Old 09-22-2007, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

people say the same about me, i am dropped on TRD springs and shocks and i sit a little lower then others with just springs alone, but my other friend with TRD springs and shocks, we are at the same height
Old 09-24-2007, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm on hotchkis and my fronts are a little lower with my Konis, but that shouldn't make a difference. I was in a wreck so I THINK that's why my fronts are lower, but i don't know. Genereally, no. Shocks will not make any difference in ride hight.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

struts/shocks wont lower ride hight.