Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Dropped TC's - vibrations after lowering?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dropped TC's - vibrations after lowering?

A few days ago I installed S-tech springs on my 07 TC. Since then I am feeling a very mild and very brief wobble/vibration at about 20 MPH when accelerating. Its very subtle, but noticeable, and comes and goes fast. Not enough to make it annoying or unpleasant, yet. If Im at highway speeds, accelerate enough to cause a downshift, it doesnt happen. Nor when Im turning and accelerating. Seems to be most noticeable going straight under light/normal load. I have experience with bad CV axles on other cars causing vibrations under load at any speed. This feels the same, just nowhere near as bad, and as I said, only around 20 MPH

Has anyone experience this? Is it the change of geometry in the suspension now that it rides lower? I've lowered cars before and this is the first time Im experiencing something like this. Wondering if its common with the TC and if so, if people fix it or live with it

From doing some reading, it can be common on some vehicles after lowering, and alignment may fix it. The alignment on my car is all in specs

Last edited by mc1114; 07-03-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm not sure where it's coming from but I recently had vibrations starting from a light at around 15mph because I changed out my broken CV axle with a replacement that did not have a counter weight. I bought an OEM instead and vibration went away. Recheck everything. It's tedious but that's pretty much the only way.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe its CV axle/joint related, but I dont think the parts are bad. It was not doing it before lowering it and only started after, and its only from 20 to about 25 MPH, then completely goes away. Very brief and subtle. From experience, a bad axle will vibrate under load at any speed

Im wondering if its happened to other TC owners and what they did to fix it (if it was not a bad axle). I was also reading about how it may be possible to play with the camber adjustment to make the vibration go away. If it starts to bother me or gets worse, I may try that
Old 07-12-2014, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No one else with a lowered car has experienced this?
Old 08-03-2014, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I ended up getting annoyed with the vibration, and not liking the amount that the springs lowered the car. I have removed them, and the vibration is completely non existent now. Just like before putting them on

Im going to sell the S-Techs. If anyone is interested, reply to this thread

And lastly, this is probably the last time I put lowering springs on a car. If I lower anything in the future, its coilovers. Even working at a shop and having all the tools available, its still a pain to do just springs

Last edited by mc1114; 08-03-2014 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this is why i hate lowering cars. The suspension gets all jacked up.
Wanna look sexy ? Better get used to those high heels.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I never had any vibration issues when I had my S-techs on. Maybe there is an underlying issue with one of your CV joints. Lowering the car does put a little more stress on those joints...could be the source of your problem. The springs themselves wont cause a vibration unless if they have blown out your struts completely.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep. CV joint(s) on the way out.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are putting on added stress by being lowered. All S-tech generation 1 tC's have the wobble vibration due to the added stress on your suspension components. Toyota didn't design them to be over two inches lower with that added stress. They are designed to handle stock components and stock height. Get over it and get the attitude out of your fingers.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No issues yet with mine at all... been on my S Techs for almost 30,000 miles.

Oh... HI CRIM!!!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OH SHIIIZZZ SON!!! GUESS WHO'S BACK BABY!!!???

Haha. Dang dude. Yeah I've been on hiatus for over two months. First time logging in since beginning of May. Haha. Let's get this going again! Where's burgandy and jct!!!??
Old 08-05-2014, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
You are putting on added stress by being lowered. All S-tech generation 1 tC's have the wobble vibration due to the added stress on your suspension components. Toyota didn't design them to be over two inches lower with that added stress. They are designed to handle stock components and stock height. Get over it and get the attitude out of your fingers.
Such an informative, insightful post

BTW, I did get over it. I ditched them for the OEM springs. Thanks for your input

Sincerely, Mr. Attitude
Old 08-06-2014, 11:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good deal.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same issue with mine MC, but here pretty soon I'll be switching out the stock struts for tokico so well see if it continues after that.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So after going to different wheels I decided to lower it again lol, and this time get to the bottom of the vibration problem. I know now why most of you havent had issues when lowering - because you're all probably on original, quality OEM axles

My car had been in a small wreck on the LF side before I purchased it, and the left side axle had been replaced with one that was not OEM. The right side is still OEM

After lowering this last time, sure enough the vibrations came back, but I was determined to cure the problem, starting with changing axles. After I changed the right side, vibrations were still there. Put the right side OEM axle back in and then replaced the left side axle with new aftermarket. Vibrations now gone

So the right axle, OEM with almost 170k miles, was not causing the problem. The left aftermarket axle was, with much fewer miles. Shows OEM axles really are superior

If the vibrations come back, I'll ditch the new aftermarket axle I just installed on the left side, and go new OEM. I love having a lowered TC again without the nuisance
Old 07-09-2015, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mc1114
Put the right side OEM axle back in and then replaced the left side axle with new aftermarket. Vibrations now gone

Thanks for the update. Where did you get your replacement OEM CV axle? Is it remanufactured or is it new? And for how much?

I have the same symptoms as you after replacing my original right CV axle assembly with an aftermarket one from NAPA. I'm also lowered on S-techs. The NAPA axle didn't have a dampener on the shaft like the original one. And the inner joint housing is shaped differently. I put it on anyways and at 20mph under moderate load, vibrations occur then dissipates after 25mph. I went to my local dealership for parts quote and they are asking $500plus for the right cv axle assembly. OUCH. Please link me to where you got your OEM replacements. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got it from O'Reilly auto. remanufactured, and cost about 65 bucks. I dont think the rubber dampener affects anything much. My new aftermarket axle does not have one. Must be something internally in the joints

It seems that these cars, if lowered, are required to have OEM axles, otherwise issues are likely to occur. I didnt know OEM axles were that expensive, but unfortunately thats what I'll have to pay if the vibrations come back. Or I may look into an OEM axle from a junkyard. I changed the right side first, thinking that was the problem because its original with a lot of miles, but turned out to be the other side

And yes, the 20-25 mph shake is exactly what I had. Im not expecting the new axle to last a long time with the added stress on the suspension now, but at least I solved the problem
Old 07-09-2015, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The right axle have more parts than the left axle so it probably will cost you less than $500 from the dealership. $500 is too much for me. I'm gonna check out Oreily's and see how the inboard joint housing looks like cause I think that's where the problem is with the Napa's cv axles.