Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Finallyyy

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Finallyyy

Got my springs in...

Im installing them with my step brother on sunday. I have the DIY for installing the springs from the tech section. Just wondering if i might stumble upon some bumps when putting them in so i know ahead of time.
Im getting the spring compressors tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:14 AM

if youve never done anything like this before its not a good idea to do this with jusy a DIY write up. I'm a trained mechanic and worked at a lexus delaer over the summer and spring installs are still difficult and I have done them on about 8 or 9 cars. it took me nd my friend in his pro shop 4 hrs to put springs on my car. and thats with all the right tools and both of us being good techs. but if u still want to do it be careful if your not using a wall mounted compressor
Old 01-03-2009, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kevywevy
if youve never done anything like this before its not a good idea to do this with jusy a DIY write up. I'm a trained mechanic and worked at a lexus delaer over the summer and spring installs are still difficult and I have done them on about 8 or 9 cars. it took me nd my friend in his pro shop 4 hrs to put springs on my car. and thats with all the right tools and both of us being good techs. but if u still want to do it be careful if your not using a wall mounted compressor
Its not that hard come on now....But definitly be careful when not using a wall mounted spring compressor for sure....Me and my buddy did it on a lift in about 45 mins to an hour.....That was with air tools and a lift and not including alignment time....Maybe it was a little more time than that for you haters out there but seriously its not that hard....

Only difficult spot is doing the rears might want to get a pry bar to be able to pull out the rear struts and have someone hold back the carpert while you rachet it away haha....the DIY is probably straight forward enough.....Just take your time
Old 01-03-2009, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well my step brother is pretty knowledgeable. Hes head mechanic at a custom hot rod restoration shop in tampa and went to wyotech so i think we can tackle it.

Do you think the spring compressors from autozone are wall mounted?
And how did you do your alignment yourself?
Old 01-03-2009, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

im just payin my local shop 50 bucks and there helpin me put them on! im good buddies with them so its nice to get good deals and learn at the same time
Old 01-03-2009, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

autozone ones are not wall mounted they are portable...

like i said me and my buddy did the install it was at his shop after hours of course and right after the install we took it down from the lift and put it on the alignment rack

love the hook ups

oh ya make sure you post some pics... and if your step brother even knows how to use a wrench you will be able to pull this off let alone with the knowledge he seems to have haha
Old 01-03-2009, 03:43 AM
Banned
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

when u compress the spring make sure the strut is loose form the spring b4 u take the bolt loose can get seriously injured
Old 01-03-2009, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

here are a few tips to make things easier for you . losen the top mount bolt while the car is still sitting on the ground. have the car on 4 jack stands if your don't have a lift.
when you take the shocks and struts out. make marks with some white paint so you know where everything should be lined up. Its really not that hard to do. just know you will reach points where you need to take a 10 minute brake have a drink a snack and make sure you take you time. 5 hours will pass by really fast if its your first time.

I can do all four on my cars in under 2 hours by my self ( at my uncles shop) , but I normally take about 4 hours or more to just make sure I check everything out under the car brakes and everthing else while the cars is up on the lift.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah ill get some pics in after im done.
So is it gonna be harder because i dont have a wall mounted one. I heard you can just take your whole spring setup into them and they set it up for you to where you just have to bolt them on or something.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

before you jack up the car loosen the nuts on the tops of the shocks. you need the car to not be jacked up, to keep the shock from spinning. Losen the nut, but DO NOT remove it.
Now, jack up the car, remove all the bolts/nuts, remove the spring assembly, compress the spring. now you can safely remove that top nut.
Same thing when you re-assemble. You have to re-tighten the top nut again, once you get everything put back, and remove the jack.

this will save you lots of time and effort later.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the tech section write up should do as long as your comfortable with yourself. if you're not, then i'd recommend you getting them installed. 4 hours with all the correct tools, meaning air tools, is absurd. we've done em in way less than 4 hours with hand tools and a cement wall instead of a spring compressor.. especially if you're taking stock springs off, they won't shoot off that far. with a someone applying weight onto the spring as you install the spring onto the shock will suffice.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay sounds like i know all i need to. Doesnt seem that hard to tackle.
Thanks for all the help guys
Old 01-03-2009, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as long as you have a good helper.. the compressors from auto zone work prety well.. ive only installed 2 sets off springs, once using the Auto zone conpressors.. but it only took sevral hours.. good luck
Old 01-03-2009, 09:47 PM

as long as you know what your doing or your bro doe then you shouldnt hav 2 much troubl. the only reason it took me soo long was cus that was w doing my alignment and I made sure I did everything perfect and that I got all the nuts and bolts torqued to the right spec from the factory. def watch out for the compressor nd make sure its hookd up perfectly