Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Frozen Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Frozen Rotors

It's my first brake change on the tC and I was wondering about these rotors? Any opinions? I don't want to resurface the OEM ones, but X-mas is next week! Any help would be greatful.

Got this off of Tirerack:

Frozen Rotors® by Diversified Cryogenics, Inc. The name says it all. Frozen Rotors freezes brake rotors...rock solid. Rotors are frozen at 300 degrees below zero using a deep cryogenic process that permanently changes the atomic structure of the rotor. This proprietary, 60-hour cryogenic process permanently and dramatically improves the usage life and stability of brake rotors to create a distinct advantage in tensile strength, abrasive wear-resistance and rotor longevity. As a result, frozen rotors deliver increased performance and a higher level of safety while significantly reducing braking system costs.

Increased Performance

Frozen Rotors offer increased resistance to cracking, warping and fading. The cryogenic treatment inhibits internal oxidation and increases thermal fatigue resistance. Frozen Rotors can last up to three times as long as untreated rotors.

Increased Safety

Frozen Rotors provide more predictable, consistent braking — even under extreme circumstances. They are an ideal choice for high usage and high performance vehicles that demand reliability and safety.

Reduced Costs

By extending the life of your braking system with the exceptional durability of Frozen Rotors, you can save in brake rotor and pad replacement costs. Their long-lasting, wear-resistant qualities make them the ideal, cost-effective solution for fleet vehicles, police cruisers and performance cars.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i heard rotors with that kind of treatment are very good. but i'd probably wait until crossdrilled or sloted rotors with the freeze treatment are available.....but it's up to you

if you're looking for better stopping power, i'd recomend upgrading to better pads, fluid and lines before doing rotors
Old 12-18-2005, 09:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is off topic but, today i hit the brakes from 50mph and held it. I heard a grinding noise (on and off during breaking). The ground was wet from rain and it felt like my car was just gliding. It did slow down but it kind of scared me. No ABS sign was on. What was it. Just bad tire grip on the road?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

no that was abs. its the most disgusting sound i have heard my car make yet.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

the abs does sound funny on these cars.. but it works. After our first snow I did some full force braking on icy roads.. they did the job pretty well. I even did one while turning.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:21 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

setting off the abs is fun
Old 12-18-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have done testing on our rotors both cryo treated and standard and have found no evidence to support the cliams that the companies are making. When a high quality rotor is used in the first place, there really is no discernable improvement. On a lower quality rotor that may have problems down the road it can be beneficial, but a better solution is to buy high quality rotors to begin with.

Most of our testing has been done on World Challenge or Grand Am Cup cars in full race trim at maximum abuse levels and we were unable to find any differences between the treated and untreated rotors. Rotor temperatures in these applications can exceed 1500 degrees F which is beyond anything that can be acheived on the street.

Im sure there are instances where a cryo treating metals can be beneficial, but based on what we have been able to gather so far, buying a high quality part to begin with is simply a better choice.

In the end, proper pad selection for your application along with proper bed in procedures will greatly reduce any chance of fading, squealing or uneven pad deposits which are the number one cause of "warped rotors" which usually are not warped at all. A good bed in will also greatly extend pad and rotor life as the even layer of pad material on the rotor surface will wear instead of the rotor itself which means better coefficient of friction and less heat generated.

All of these topics along with the the warped rotor myth and bed in procedures are on our website in great detail here:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/te...e_papers.shtml

We are going to be releasing a new white paper related to cryo treating soon.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Instigator,

Thanx for all your help I think that I'll just go with new pads for right now.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Happy to help. We feel that resurfacing rotors is generally not a good idea as you are removing rotor mass which reduces heat capacity. That means the rotors will get hotter faster and cause uneven pad deposits even sooner than before...kind of a viscous cycle. When you get your new pads, do the complete bed in procedure on the white papers page I linked to earlier and you will see longer life with better performance form you new pads.

have you decided on what pads you will be upgading to yet?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Just placed an order with you guys for some Axxis XBG Metal Masters. I'll be upgrading my lines and then tires next year.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those will do the job nicely...great improvement in bite and max temps but not too dusty..you should be very happy with them.