Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

H&R Coilovers,Brembo brakes,Axxis Ultimate - updated w p

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default H&R Coilovers,Brembo brakes,Axxis Ultimate - updated w p

All I can say is with the +300whp the tC puts out, stock brakes and H&R springs just weren't cutting it. I deciding to do some modding with all the small things (racing seats included--Corbeau). The biggest thing is the coilovers. We're selling them for $1035 right now on our site: http://www.dezod.com/pd_hr_coilover_kittc.cfm.

"It's ride height adjustable only but a dialed in damper setting for occasional track use. Here's a blog from the site: Engineered for street and occasional track use, H&R Coil-Overs feature a fully-threaded shock body (not an imitation sleeve-over) that allows you to precisely dial in height adjustment to achieve optimum weight transfer, or simply get the aggressive look you've been looking for. Featuring H&R's exclusive dynamic damper technology, each shock is engineered to work in harmony with a progressive-rate spring, together creating a finely-tuned suspension system." - HRsprings.com

I'll have pics of that sometime this week when the kit arrives. Does anyone else ride on these yet?

Also, I purchased the Progress rear sway bar to accompany the system and help keep it a little better planted on some more demanding roads/tracks. It should help keep the back end much tighter now. Pics to follow on that as well.

As for the brakes... Brembo all the way! I went with OEM sized Brembos with cross-drill. I honestly prefer the look over slotted but either are still nice. The rotors are plated for corrosion as well. Here's a blurb from Brembo:

"The Brembo Sport discs are premium OEM replacement units that meet or exceed all vehicle manufacturers’ specifications and tolerances. They are fully compatible with stock calipers wheels and other chassis components, easily mounting onto the vehicle. The brake discs are built in high carbon cast iron and they are available either drilled or slotted. The brake discs are then plated for corrosion resistance and for a bold, aggressive appearance.

Most sport disc applications are ABE approved, a TÜV certification granted by the German Ministry of Transport. Brembo has obtained this certification due to the wholly-owned and operated integrated foundry and production process that is implemented worldwide. Sport pads come with R90 approval according to the EU requirements." - Brembo.com

Here's pics of what the brakes actually look like for the tC:
FRONT ROTOR---

REAR ROTOR---

I'll more pics over the next week or two as it all comes in and gets installed. Also purchased some new Enkei 18x7.5, 45mm offset wheels and some new tires to go with it. Should be fun in addition to the massive audio project I've been workin on (20 speakers lol).

Let me know if you guys have any questions, comments, or concerns. I'd be glad to help.

BIIIIG UPDATE!!! 4-3-2006!!!
Ok guys, thanks for being patient. The ride is just unbelievable. It's almost scary how hard you have to push it to actually brake the limits of your car. At that point, you better be a good driver because you'll be pushing it pretty fast.

I've tooled on the suspension around various setups. I left the height the same since install, because it was the height I was looking for. I took the car on the highway, and it rode great, even over dips. I took the car on a some windy SMOOTH roads and it was planted and pretty hard to find the limits. I then took it over bumpy roads, and at higher speeds. The car is planted to the ground. It eats up bumps and stays sure footed over pretty much any road surface. The daily driving aspect is great, feels about the same as the Evo 9 in terms of harshness. But man does the car respond. Steering response is better, I have the looks I'm looking for, the ride quality is excellent, and I feel like I'm driving a safer car. Definately one of the best mod's I've done on the car.

Alas, the pictures...

In this pic, the front shock/spring is on top, the rear on the bottom.

Next pic is the front coilover installed. Note the helper spring that acts as a dead spring. This is to make sure the car is always on the ground, even under HARD corners or a big dip/bump. Also note the new Brembo cross-drilled rotors. We're using the drilled plated rotors front and rear. Expect numbers for the tC application on our website soon. We're currently working with Brembo on that matter.

Next pic, same as the last, brakes and all, but the rear rotor...

And FINALLY.... The pics of the car on the ground. New pics will be up tomorrow of the car actually outside where I can get some better angles. For now, here's one hell of a teaser...

Quick shot of the new motor layout...

NOTE: USE THE NUTS THAT COME WITH THIS COILOVER KIT. It is somewhat tricky because the nuts are larger than the OEM nuts. You will need a pretty large socket set to successfully tighten the strut rod to the upper mount. Using the stock nuts on the H&R coilovers can and will strip the threads, causing you to severely damage your shock. I know this may seem obvious, but due to the ease of using OEM nuts that most have the socket for, one may be tempted to do so. Please use the supplied nuts, AND the supplied coilover lubricant to lubricate the threads before adjusting. I may also reccommend to purge the struts prior to install. Do this by taking the springs off and slowling pushing the strut rod down into the shock body. Do this about 3-4 times. It will help prep the shock and remove any air bubbles that may have developed within the shock.

Any questions please ask here, and happy ordering. You will not find a better suspension for the money.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Dude, how much is the brembo setup running? I was gonna get wilwood, but if it's not TOO steep, I'll go with Brembo.

Also, How does the tC ride with the H&R coilovers?

Anybody got'em yet? Pls let me know
Old 03-19-2006, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brembo sport rotors are as follows:

Front - $255 drilled or slotted, your choice.
http://www.dezod.com/pd_brembo_sport_front_rotorstc.cfm

Rear - $205 drilled or slotted, your choice.
http://www.dezod.com/pd_brembo_sport...otorstc_05.cfm

I'll know within a few weeks how the coilovers ride. I've been trying to get the car back together for a photo shoot and Hot Import Nights.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

joe

have u heard anything bad about powerslot plus ? its oversized rotors but it comes with brackets to maintain your stock calipers
Old 03-19-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's nothing really wrong with powerslot plus. Don't expectany significant gains and braking power. It does look better for larger wheels, which is why most people get those, but it doesn't hurt your performance either. The added brake torque you get with that larger rotor is somewhat balanced out by the larger amount of rotating mass. Because you're still using a stock caliper you don't feel much of a difference. It does look better though, and theoretically it should take longer to heat up because of the larger amount of mass. So repeated abuse will favor a larger rotor. Hope that helps.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

More info on the H&R's please? It sounds like they are hight adjustable only, I'm assuming comperable to the tien basics?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
There's nothing really wrong with powerslot plus. Don't expectany significant gains and braking power. It does look better for larger wheels, which is why most people get those, but it doesn't hurt your performance either. The added brake torque you get with that larger rotor is somewhat balanced out by the larger amount of rotating mass. Because you're still using a stock caliper you don't feel much of a difference. It does look better though, and theoretically it should take longer to heat up because of the larger amount of mass. So repeated abuse will favor a larger rotor. Hope that helps.
thanks

i was debating to get that soon because i want to improve the car while trying to maintain most of the stock parts. but for the price of the kit for all four, still best bang for the buck for me vs price of front kits only.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The H&Rs on paper are comparable to Tein basics. I can tell you right now that they are of higher quality and will give you a MUCH better ride than the Tein basics. Basically, if the features are the same but one is much more than the other, you usually get abetter product. I know there's exceptions out there but this coilover system is a very high quality system. Springs are progressive rate so they ride extremely well while still offering better handling. The system is ISO9001 certified and meets Germany's TUV standards. Basically, these kits hold up for a LONG time, and fit the right way.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tikbhoy
Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
thanks

i was debating to get that soon because i want to improve the car while trying to maintain most of the stock parts. but for the price of the kit for all four, still best bang for the buck for me vs price of front kits only.
I put a set of the powerslot plus, however with the stock brakelines its ok, but when i put the ss breaklines and better fluid it was more responsive, again nothing like a true BBK, but it looks hot, and works very well, im running 19's so i was looking for something to help with that, so far im very satisfied........

peep this:

Old 03-20-2006, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh yeah BUMP for the H&R.........very very high end product, and way better then tein.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you sir! Yes the big brake imposter kits are actually not that bad and I do like the looks of them. I just want the best bang for the buck for my car, and the Brembos are always a reliable and good performing rotor. The pads and tires make the largest difference on the car anyway. Which is why I boguht the Axxis ultimets and some new rubbers.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually have the exact set up you are selling (brembo) on my 2004 accord, and they make it stop so well its almost sad; and remeber the accord is a heavier car then the Tc, and I have 19's on that too..........that brembo kit is worth every penny.

But you are right, invest in some good pads..........

as for the imposter kit, you almost have to upgrade the pads, and lines or it won't even be worth it........

as for H&R I belive they are made by eibach.......i may be wrong. But H&R has been around for years,and are a well respected name in the european tuner market......so that is good to see they are making them for the Tc.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes on all of my cars I've either done Eibach or H&R. I tried Hayame once and would never go back. German suspensions are just killer. Amazing ride quality, and the great handling to go with it. Plus they all look good, and they all fit perfect. What more could you ask for? Oh yeah, they last for a very long time

I'll write up reviews and post a good chunk of pics of the install.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eibach all the way.........the accord has sportlines, and i got Htech for the Tc, but should have gotten the Eibachs instead.........oh well.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

naw bro...eibachs settle way to much in the rears. tein is fine four our car
Old 03-20-2006, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

strange, i have heard Tein's sag too much in the rear..........
Im happy with my Htechs......
Old 03-20-2006, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im happy with my h-techs too..however they are going lower in the front...like more than they are supposed to
Old 03-20-2006, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why did you go with H&R over Progress for the coils?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Availability. I need this in time for a big show and another event I'm hush hush about until it happens. Both are excellent companies and I prefer them over most others.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your secret is safe here LOL.....
My Htech has a rake, i wish the right side would settle better, it sort of leans to the drivers side....
but I like the Htech......
If i keep my Tc Im going coilovers

Quick Reply: H&R Coilovers,Brembo brakes,Axxis Ultimate - updated w p