Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...
View Poll Results: TRD's or H&R
TRD'S
40.00%
H&R
60.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

H&R or TRD's on 18's

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default H&R or TRD's on 18's

So right now my car is not being driven because i am at college, so i am ordering parts to do my suspension for late spring. I read that the trd's springs look perfect with 18's which i admit they look really good. but, iv also read that the trd springs sag in the back making the front look higher then the rear when they say they are a even drop 1.25 inch drop all around. Now i am thinking about the H&R sport springs these drop the car 1.3 in the rear and 1.4 in the front which i think would solve the "sagging" problem people with trd's say they see. another thing that is getting to me is the price H&R i can get for about $240 and trd's for $160. im also going to be running these on the stock struts since i only have 17000 miles on my car and do not have the money for new struts right now

My question is what springs should i get to run on my stock struts with 18's?
any insight would be great...

THANKS
Old 03-03-2009, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

H&R Sport - $219 shipped
http://www.showstoppersusa.com/produ...roducts_id=368

If that helps..
Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

H-techs provide a great drop with a GREAT comfortable ride. H-techs are a little lower than the TRDs but not as low as S-techs, which I found was perfect.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: H&R or TRD's on 18's

Originally Posted by huslindan
but, iv also read that the trd springs sag in the back making the front look higher then the rear when they say they are a even drop 1.25 inch drop all around. Now i am thinking about the H&R sport springs these drop the car 1.3 in the rear and 1.4 in the front which i think would solve the "sagging" problem people with trd's say they see.
I have TRD springs w/shocks and can be chalked up for the sagging rear problem. TRD seems to vary so much from person to person. Some are abnormally low (scion_jon), and some look like they came out even (CarbonXe). My front is 2 fingers and my rear is about 1/2 a finger. I don't have any problems or complaints with the performance of the setup, it does what it does. But I've grown tired of seeing my front higher than the rear.

How tired was I? I ended up ordering Form & Function Type II coilovers from weksos and will be installing those in spring break.

Edit: I'm currently on +23 offset and I rub in the rear from dips, but of course wasn't rubbing when I was on +48 offset

So to answer your question. TRDs can be a hit or miss. I would look at either the H&R, H-techs, or any other one that someone else might recommend. But this is just from my own experience, I'm sure some other TRD owner will chime in with their side. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

TRD springs, OEM struts, no sag, never had rubbing, 18s

Same thing but with stockers, for winter

Old 03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you guys think ill have rubbing with H&R
Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRDs look good with 18s AND the right offset on a wheel. +35 offset with a 8.5" or 8" width look really good...

18x8, +35 offset

18x8.5, +35 offset

No sag here. 3 years on with no issues.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would have to agree with ScionTEK. Thats why I switched over to ksport coilovers. I would also rub on big dips.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think there is any rubbing with 18's and H&Rs. I had minimal rubbing in the front w/ H-techs on BIG BIG bumps.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am on 19x9.5 et45 on the rear...
Old 03-04-2009, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone have pictures of h&r's ?
trd's look real good and 80 bucks cheaper so u guys think its worth it?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also do i need i 2 cut the bump stop 4 the trd's?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As you can see with the TRD's you get varying responses revolving around height.

Performance wise you will not be disappointed as it is pretty much a uniform consensus. I can attest that the TRD shocks & springs are quality products.

I don't have anything against TRD other than my own height experience. So it's up to you whether you think it's worth it or not after looking at all of the information presented, as I can't really say there is a definate answer (as I've learned working in retail and custom fab shops) It can vary from person to person (lemons and such)

And yes, I had cut approx. 1/2 of the front bump stop, but that's if you are upgrading to TRD shocks, I don't know for sure if it's necessary for stock shocks. I am sure someone else has an answer for that.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah im not changing my struts so i would need to know if i would need to cut them? so you think i should get the h&r's then ?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's prolly best to see if anyone will chime in with photos and experiences with H&R so you can have a more well rounded opinion on what choice to make.

There are a lot of TRD spring threads already and majority of the community loves them, but then there are some like me and dqlostsoulz that decides to upgrade to adjustable coilovers for reasons stated above.

Seems like you still have some time to think about it and hopefully you get more responses/votes on the matter since you state that you plan on doing your suspension late spring. But in the end the way I see it, you will probably be fine either way you go. Unless you are the picky type (which I am, and also I'm slightly OCD)

Oh and to answer your rubbing question, You will only rub on H&R (or TRD for that matter) if you are running aggressive offsets and widths, and the rubbing will most likely only be on dips. If you have stock offsets rubbing isn't really much of an issue, if at all.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah me to im real picky i do everything perfect lol... yeah id get coilovers when i need new sturts like at 50-60,000 miles then id drop the money on them. why spend the money if i dont need them yet you know, im in college lol... i need to save the money i can.. i looked for h&r forms and i never really found any good ones with picks. i read most of the trd forms. and my friend has them and the back sags a little on his do you think that has to do with him having the white springs?
Old 03-04-2009, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The white ones are the same as the red ones, they just decided to change the color.

But yea not everyone has a level drop on TRD. Since you have seen it first hand, you can see what some people has experienced. It's up to you if you want to take the chance. But like I said I'd prolly do more research on the other brands first.

scion_jon's car is what made me decide on TRD in the beginning... but I soon learned that his situation was a unique anomaly

I'm sure he won't mind me posting since he posts his car a lot.

I'm on 18's and my car does not look like that on a side profile shot. I'll see if I can take a picture of my car tomorrow in the day time.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

h&r was the closet to trd's i dont want anything lower then that.. does anyone have pictures of 18's on H&R's
Old 03-04-2009, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

omg look at those 5axis lol h-techs have been ordered for my tc.. ive heard nothing but good things on them so... they have to be something worth it
Old 03-04-2009, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ htechs are to much of a drop for me 1.9 in the front and 1.5 in the back i think ill rub with my 18's and i dont wanna put to much strain on my stock struts. i sticking between H&R and trd's i wanna see picks of ppl with H&R's and maybe scionTEK's tc and see the sag problem on his 18's

Quick Reply: H&R or TRD's on 18's