Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Help me decide which coilovers to get...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member

Default Help me decide which coilovers to get...

Hey guys I need some help on deciding which coilovers to get. I want a set that is going to be the best performance wise since im planning on going to some autox events pretty soon. Any help is appreciated thanks.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have any experience with coilovers in other cars?

Answer these two questions for me:

On a scale of 1-10, how important is a comfortable ride to you?

On a scale of 1-10, how important is it for you to get the best times?

Typically, stiffer suspension will give you better performance. Have you ridden in a car with Tein SS-Ps set to stiffest or a set of Ksports? You can feel every bump on the road. Your fillings will fall out. Passengers will complain.

Or you can go with something like B+G RS2 coilover. If you set the height not too aggressively, you will get a smooth ride and then you can adjust the dampening for driving conditions.

Go do a run or a couple with stock set up first. Then decide where you need to improve. Tires will do the most for you. Then maybe a set of sway bars. Are you trying to be competitive or just having fun? Getting coilovers will put you over your class and into some fierce competition.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I would go with Progress or H&R.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by shinkuu
Do you have any experience with coilovers in other cars?

Answer these two questions for me:

On a scale of 1-10, how important is a comfortable ride to you?

On a scale of 1-10, how important is it for you to get the best times?

Typically, stiffer suspension will give you better performance. Have you ridden in a car with Tein SS-Ps set to stiffest or a set of Ksports? You can feel every bump on the road. Your fillings will fall out. Passengers will complain.

Or you can go with something like B+G RS2 coilover. If you set the height not too aggressively, you will get a smooth ride and then you can adjust the dampening for driving conditions.

Go do a run or a couple with stock set up first. Then decide where you need to improve. Tires will do the most for you. Then maybe a set of sway bars. Are you trying to be competitive or just having fun? Getting coilovers will put you over your class and into some fierce competition.
I have ridden in many cars with a full setup that is even stiffer then the tein ssp's as a matter of fact my brother's buddy club racing spec damper setup on his ep3 is a lot stiffer then the tein ssp's. as of right now a comfortable ride isnt a big factor for me. im just looking for some info trying to do some research like which setup would be good.. im not looking to make it into a full out autox car i just want to know what my options out there are with some info...
Old 05-08-2007, 02:55 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Strictly Scionized
SL Member

How are the Tein SS's on the softest setting?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well tires would be first if you want to have better handling. Second would be sways. Then it would be either coilovers or springs/shock combo.

It's really up to you how much you want to spend on coilovers and how much of a adjustably you would like. If ya want performance over comfort then Ksport or Tein would be pretty good. H&R and Progress would give performance too but they will most likely give more comfort than performance. I'm not saying they don't perform well but those coilovers are the occasional autox while still having comfort for DD.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am personally going with KW Variant 2 Coilovers, i have done my research, and have found KW to be the best coilover for our currently in the market, however i cannot say that 100% because almost no one has JIC or Zeal Coilovers, so its hard for them to put in words.

However, i tracked my car yesterday at Willow Springs(The acutal course, not streets) and it felt pretty solid, it felt really soft at high speed corners, and at the last turn of the track before the straight, it felt like it wanted to break loose.

as said before, i think some wider rims with meatier(wider) tires will get you better times than a set of coilovers, because the stock tires arent that good.. however you would be suprised how they do after they heat up.

Also, it is HARD to get something that will be good for DD and for the occasional AutoX/Track Event.. because all the coilovers for our car our street coilovers, however some are better than others for the track, i think if it really came down to it, this would be the list i would choose from, not in any order:
-KW
-H&R
-Koni Shocks w/ GC Coilovers
-Koni Shocks w/ Eibach Springs

thats really all i would choose from, since we dont really have many coilovers availilbe for our car you may want to look into the last two choices, because Koni can valve their shocks to your specifications and will make them match the springs/coils you put it.

also, remember, stiffer is not always better, to stiff and your ride will be unpredictable and uncontrollable.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Ali, I don't see you around much anymore. PM me and let me know when you go track next. I'm going this weekend and again at the end of the month.

KW variants are VERY VERY good coilovers. not harsh for daily driving and well dampered.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member

I already have sways and the rims and tires are coming in about a week... and i'm probably going to go with the tein ssp's now
Old 05-09-2007, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

I'm getting Tein SSP w/ EDFC so I can have the best of all worlds at my finger tips
Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For any track dedicated car, EDFC is really unnecessary but a very very cool gadget. If you got something like a greddy rear strut bar and had to cut out some covers, then adjusting the dampening can be done in seconds. For the front, its always easy to adjust those.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by shinkuu
For any track dedicated car, EDFC is really unnecessary but a very very cool gadget. If you got something like a greddy rear strut bar and had to cut out some covers, then adjusting the dampening can be done in seconds. For the front, its always easy to adjust those.
true