Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

hotchkis front sway + bumps = broken endlinks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default hotchkis front sway + bumps = broken endlinks?

So I've been planning on getting a set of Hotchkis sways for a while now but I was talking to another tC owner tonight and he was telling me that he went through 4 endlinks because of Michigan's crappy bumpy roads. He told me that the front bars dont have stoppers so that as you hit imperfections in the road the front bars are free to move from side to side and that it scratched up his fenders a lot and then eventually snapped because of the stiffness. Does anyone have experience with this. I had my heart set on the Hotchkis set because they are the best for performance but I dont want to deal with all that crap. I guess the progress rear bar would be my second choice... any input would be great.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Newer version of hotchkis sway bar has stoppers to keep it from moving side to side.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

woot :-)

thanks, I'm in a much better mood now!

If I order from TRD sparks will I get the new version for sure?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah go for it. You are going to love it. i got mine from trdsparks also they have a great customer service.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just know that the hotchkis bars rust over time, like theyre lowering springs too

seriously, if you aint gonna be autoxing a lot then go for the progress or trd

hotchkis has the best performance but their product quality can't match trd
Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

were the end links that your friend used stock or dezod?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does it matter?
if you have to buy a new set of endlinks for hotchkis bars... then the endlinks should come with the bars..

i'm sorry, i've just had terrible experiences with hotchkis...even with their updated sway bars with stoppers
Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the endlinks he broke were stock...

I'm on Hotchkis springs now and I love em... I think aslong as I hose em off when I wash my car I wont have problems with rust, they look quality to me...
Old 07-29-2008, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah i would def. but the dezod end-links. I've had my hotchkis sways for almost a year and my stock endlinks are gone. haha anybody know of a GB for dezod endlinks?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Noics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jiggadomino
just know that the hotchkis bars rust over time, like theyre lowering springs too

umm for almost 2 years i have hotchkis bars and HAD hotchkis springs i will vouch that the springs rust out and die. im now on S-techs. however the Bars are superb. i've never had mind rust and i autocross very often. i HAVE had endlinks rust out and snap before that if u look closely its cuz TOYOTA didnt galvanize they endlink bolts or use proper metals so they end up rusting and stapping off where they connect to the sway. i wont blame the sway bar for that. i stand by the hotchkis bars until i hear of more failing then just the 1 that i've heard of on all of SL that broke and hotchkis replaced. other than that i've never heard of anything ill about their bars. till mine break, i will continue to vouch for them.

have u actually experienced rust with YOUR hotchkis bars?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Noics
SL Member

btw, i know personally of folks who have had the endlinks snap on STOCK SWAYBARS! so u cant blame the bars for that. plus Dezod makes a fine set of endlinks. i should know. i own a set.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AcrimoniousBear
Originally Posted by jiggadomino

umm for almost 2 years i have hotchkis bars and HAD hotchkis springs i will vouch that the springs rust out and die. im now on S-techs. however the Bars are superb. i've never had mind rust and i autocross very often. i HAVE had endlinks rust out and snap before that if u look closely its cuz TOYOTA didnt galvanize they endlink bolts or use proper metals so they end up rusting and stapping off where they connect to the sway. i wont blame the sway bar for that. i stand by the hotchkis bars until i hear of more failing then just the 1 that i've heard of on all of SL that broke and hotchkis replaced. other than that i've never heard of anything ill about their bars. till mine break, i will continue to vouch for them.

have u actually experienced rust with YOUR hotchkis bars?

hahaha how offended can you get? seriously calm down i ain't trying to attack your precious hotchkis. i got much love for all aftermarket parts

Are you gonna accuse me of lying and NOT knowing what i am talking about? Grow up dude... i've played with hotchkis and love the performance. but then they started rusting at the edges.
check these links out, all were about problems with hotchkis and their products.
YOU even posted on some of them.

sway bars
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ssue&&start=40

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...+bar&&start=80

springs
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=asc&&start=40

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=asc&&start=40

Anyways, i am just putting the info out there. keep in mind toyota does make your car, so don't be hating on them either
Old 07-30-2008, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Noics
SL Member

umm...lol guy i was never offended. i was just asking u. soooo perhaps u should not jump to conclusions lol. i only posted about the springs failing. the sways havent. congrats on finding sum links. thats what i asked for. but dont think we're about to argue about it. like i said. i wasnt upset. For the record i didnt accuse u of anything, i merely asked you a question. and I need to grow up? wow. scion life does it again...
Old 07-30-2008, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my bad acribear, i just can't stand the flamers on scionlife; they've made my fuse short and turned me cold-hearted
so now i snap at anything that sounds even a little* criticizing

batman just take all this info in and decide what you want
we're all here to help you and tell you about the tc maynee
Old 07-30-2008, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol thanks for the help guys.

I want great performance, and I want unsnapped sway bars haha so there lies the dilemma...
Old 07-30-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont think its THAT big of an issue??
if you want cheap performance, than sway bars are the way to go
if ya want expensive performance, get some coilovers baby

both will decrease your body roll, but the coilovers can be adjusted
Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Noics
SL Member

if u can do both i would. i wish i had coilovers but sways def help the situation in major part as well. i dont know of anyone who makes both front and rear sways but hotchkis which is why i pub them so hard. having a front bar allows the rear bar to be even MORE stiff then only running a rear bar off the stock soft front bar. honestly i think the sorry endlinks toyota used should snap before the bar should. but u never know. do urself a favor tho and get dezod endlinks at sum point. so far i think they are really good stuff. but then...anything was better than the snapped link i had on my car for over a month. a bra strap woulda done a better job. ...in fact. thats my next mod :alls GF::

Jigga- its all good man. i asked a friend if i sounded like an ahole and she said it could be read that way. i try to avoid being caught up in situtations that could be miscontrued but i guess u can only do so much with black letters on white background. thanx for not actually BEING an ahole. and i apologize for any confusion.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AcrimoniousBear
...anything was better than the snapped link i had on my car for over a month. a bra strap woulda done a better job. ...in fact. thats my next mod :alls GF::
ohhhhh baby
Old 04-08-2009, 06:02 AM

Hey guys new to all this so I may be asking a question that has already been answered. Sorry. I wanted to get the Hotchkis sways but after reading quite a few threads i am not sure if i need the front or if I should just get the back. There seems to be quite a few people that claim the tC (front wheel drive) does not actually need an upgrade in the front. (Also then I would be able to do the install myself)

Also some people seem to be saying that the Hotchkis set comes with upgrade endlinks, is this true or are they crappy as well.

Is this true and if so does anyone know where I could just buy the Hotchkis rear. I searched but every place sells the set.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a) If you're going to just be daily driving and an occasional autocross, stick with just the rear bar. No need to go all out with front and rear if you don't need them.

b) Hotchkis set does NOT come with any endlinks. The Progress rear bar is the only one that comes with new endlinks.

c) You cannot buy just the Hotchkis rear. And you probably shouldn't anyway. It is made to work with the front. Using just the rear with the front has the potential to cause some unsafe driving dynamics.

Quick Reply: hotchkis front sway + bumps = broken endlinks?