Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Hotchkis Springs with Tokico Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:25 AM

Default Hotchkis Springs with Tokico Shocks

Hey all. I was about to buy some Hotchkis springs, but then I came across this great forum and its pinned threads. Now, while I'm down there, I plan on replacing the shocks as well. I had the car sitting on jack stands for a year while I was deployed, but ever since I've come back, the old tC's felt like a boat with every turn and bump.

Does anyone here have experience with Hotchkis springs and Tokico shocks? I've read different things about the Tokico - some say Tokico offers a smoother ride than OEM, while others say it's stiffer. How does it "play" by itself? How does it play with Hotchkis springs (if you have experience)? Is it smoother or not? Are the Koni's smoother?

Also, some pics would be awesome! The best comparisons I've seen so far are here. Unfortunately, the owner has his tC setup on Koni shocks (I don't know if it's settled or not in the pics, but I don't like how the front leans more forward than the rear. That's why I chose Hotchkis - I want to level the tC and get it's a** out of the air). If you have some pics of your ride setup on Hotchkis and Tokico, that would be awesome!

Thanks all. In advance, thanks for sharing your experiences and advice.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i believe my buddy is running that setup, lookup pinoyfmtc
Old 01-22-2010, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yes, I have this setup. I don't think any aftermarket springs or shocks are going to make the car ride "smoother" than OEM. The Tokicos are valved more performance oriented than the stock shocks, and the Hotchkis Springs have higher spring rates than stock, so it will not be as smooth. Lowering springs with OEM/soft spring rates are a bad combo. My setup is somewhat rough over bumps and stuff, definitely more rough/less comfortable than OEM. However, compared to coilovers, it is pretty comfortable and tame. I was looking more for handling on a budget, so I don't mind the comfort loss. For my taste, I don't notice it at all. Someday, I'll upgrade to coilovers, as the spring/shock combo isn't too optimal in auto-x.

This setup handles pretty decent in auto-x, for a spring/shock combo.

It has settled evenly on the Hotchkis springs, but the fronts took a good 3 months to settle. Out of the 3 springs I've owned (S-Techs, H-Techs) I like the Hotchkis the best. Some pics:
Name:  DSC_0144.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  84.0 KB Name:  DSC_0255.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  72.7 KB
Name:  DSC_0256.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  63.8 KB
Name:  DSC_0258.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  56.5 KB
Old 01-22-2010, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I settled a bit uneven on my passengers side, I have hotchkis springs and tokico shocks and they are a great combo. The ride is honestly not that bad at all you get used to it, and it's well worth how well the car handles and that was before I added the F&R sway bars.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by pinoyFMtC
Yes, I have this setup. I don't think any aftermarket springs or shocks are going to make the car ride "smoother" than OEM. The Tokicos are valved more performance oriented than the stock shocks, and the Hotchkis Springs have higher spring rates than stock, so it will not be as smooth. Lowering springs with OEM/soft spring rates are a bad combo. My setup is somewhat rough over bumps and stuff, definitely more rough/less comfortable than OEM. However, compared to coilovers, it is pretty comfortable and tame. I was looking more for handling on a budget, so I don't mind the comfort loss. For my taste, I don't notice it at all. Someday, I'll upgrade to coilovers, as the spring/shock combo isn't too optimal in auto-x.

This setup handles pretty decent in auto-x, for a spring/shock combo.

It has settled evenly on the Hotchkis springs, but the fronts took a good 3 months to settle. Out of the 3 springs I've owned (S-Techs, H-Techs) I like the Hotchkis the best.
Salamat, pinoyFMtc! Are those 17's or 18's you're rolling on? Your ride looks sweet. Also, thanks for the info. I think I'll go ahead with the Hotchkis/Tokico combo - I just hope it gets rid of the "wave" my car does after hitting bumps on a turn (it rocks from side to side a few times).

P.S. - Is that a bra on your hood? If so, what company made it? I just had my hood re-painted last year, only to have it chipped again less than 8 months later.

Last edited by GreyRav; 01-22-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Got rid of the images in the quotes so the pages don't scroll more than they have to
Old 01-22-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisb319
I settled a bit uneven on my passengers side, I have hotchkis springs and tokico shocks and they are a great combo. The ride is honestly not that bad at all you get used to it, and it's well worth how well the car handles and that was before I added the F&R sway bars.
Thanks for your experiences, Chris. Is there a reason it didn't settle evenly on the passenger side? Or is that just a luck of the draw with springs?
Old 01-23-2010, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by GreyRav
Salamat, pinoyFMtc! Are those 17's or 18's you're rolling on? Your ride looks sweet. Also, thanks for the info. I think I'll go ahead with the Hotchkis/Tokico combo - I just hope it gets rid of the "wave" my car does after hitting bumps on a turn (it rocks from side to side a few times).

P.S. - Is that a bra on your hood? If so, what company made it? I just had my hood re-painted last year, only to have it chipped again less than 8 months later.
Haha, I like your use of Tagalog walang anuman.

Thanks for the compliments, the wheels are 5Zigen FN01R-C 18x7.5 +35 offset. You'll probably like the Hotchkis/Tokico combo, it's great. Hmm, that "wave" doesn't sound like something normal lol.

Yeah, it's a LeBra brand one. I use the full bra for road trips, and the hood piece when I'm not. I think just the hood piece looks good, and it prevents a lot of highway chips.

Pic of the full one on a road trip. Don't mind the tape lol:
Name:  T_3.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  45.6 KB
Old 01-24-2010, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey i was interested in this setup as well.
is there anything else you would have to change except for alignment?
like champer and what not? thnx
Old 01-24-2010, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow! at tape dude lol im surprised it didnt just fly off from all the wax like when i tried to tape numbers on that slick surface