Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

How does your tC handle in the Snow???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i managed to aviod the first snow storm of the season by taking the 4Runner instead....beast. so i still dont know how my baby handles.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06_t_cizzle
very true especially on the first snow fall ppl must forget how to drive in the snow or something ROAD RAGE!!!

No kidding! You would think more people here in mn would know how to drive on the snow... but nope, they forget every year!

Ashtabula huh? I just remotely installed and interfaced some equipment in a location there!
Old 12-05-2005, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the Yokos on my car and I think the tC handles pretty good. I was able to swerve and miss a car that slid into the intersection no problem this morning, before the plows had cleaned the roads in Boston. I guess maybe its just a step up from what I used last winter: 18" ADR's on really crappy Nankang NS-II's.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

Are those like all season yokos??? I kinda thought that those owuld be bad in the snow....

Currently looking into buying new tires... too many close calls with the potenzas on
Old 12-05-2005, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

my RE92's suck crap in snow... but they are great for drifting in it :D
Old 12-05-2005, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the Yokos suck in snow. I cant wait to save up enough $ for a set of snow tires. Any suggestions for a good set that is not too expensive?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Yeah, the RE92 do indeed suck. I picked up a set of Michelin Alpine's from tire rack for $138/tire on Friday. Huge difference in acceleration and braking on packed snow. Much, much better and I can drive with more confidence. Haven't had a deep snowstorm or slush to drive through yet though.

I really thought I could take the potenza's through another winter, but a week into this michigan snow, it's just was not safe to drive on them.

I bought the alpines because on dry roads, they supposedly still had good handling, tread wear, and low noise. So far, that seems to be true.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I learned to really drive in snow when I was stationed in upstate NY for 3yrs. I'd say the stock Yoko AVS DB2 tires did pretty good. I just have to remember to be easy on the gas because of the supercharger, lol.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have noticed the past two days that what the potenzas really dont like is cold. They sat out all day yesterday in 0 degree weather (high of about 10 or so) and they do perform much worse then .They are still manageable if you pat attention and know how to drive.. but the performance did decrease a good amount. They sat in the heated garage last night, but now that I am at work they are sitting in -2 weather, so I am sure they will feel a little squirly after I leave But it is hard to tell since any condesation (even from exhaust) freezes to the road quickly and makes a very thin icy layer.. so the roads are a little slicker than you expect anyway.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hot dam

its 63 outside of my house in CA and reading up about temps dropping below 0....

makes me shiver
Old 12-06-2005, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ The scary part is that it doesnt get "cold" until late January That short burst of -10 to -20 is definitely enough to make spring a joyful occassion

But I hopped a plane for Atlanta at 1:00 and am now in near 50 degree weather.. so I am happy for a few days... although the tC is sitting in the parking garage at MSP freezing its @$$ off!
Old 12-06-2005, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ The scary part is that it doesnt get "cold" until late January That short burst of -10 to -20 is definitely enough to make spring a joyful occassion

But I hopped a plane for Atlanta at 1:00 and am now in near 50 degree weather.. so I am happy for a few days... although the tC is sitting in the parking garage at MSP freezing its @$$ off!
Old 12-07-2005, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've noticed the tires do horribly in cold weather. At 50 degrees this morning the car could barely keep traction.

Yish.. and it's like that too here in CA. It's just "started" to get cold.. We can expect.. I don't know, an extreme estimate of about 40 degrees? Yea, last year we actually hit 20 degrees! But normally, at the height of the coldness it gets to be around 40.. can you imagine that? FREEZING!

Old 12-07-2005, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

meh.. i could easily say the tC is the most terrible car i've ever driven in the snow. that's why i bought this..

just for those days when its rough outside.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I bought a car made from tupperware. Not as fun to drive, but it's fun watching it pop back into shape. And who cares about scratches. Just a quick buff and good as new.
Makes me wonder why Saturn is straying from plastic bodies...
Old 12-08-2005, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont find the stock potenzas to be bad at all. We had 5" of snow last weekend and I was out driving for a good hour in it, with no issues, whether it was deep snow or slush. You just have to know the car and it's habits. This is my second winter season, (im 17), driving so I wouldn't say i have the most experience either.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I went with a set of snow tires for my beater. I can't remember what brand they are, but I went on Tire Rack to check out the ratings and stuff. I went with something that had good performance on ice, not just snow/slush. N. VA area sees more ice than snow.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea I just droce through a snowstorm in the northeast. The 5 speed tc sucks in the snow for various reasons; tires are not that good, crappy open diff, torquey motor, aggressive gearing and a dumb drive by wire system that is laggy as hell and makes it very difficult to rev match between shift. I'd even prefer my old 88 mustang GT to this in the snow. I'm hoping a good set of snow tires can alleviate some of this.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I got nitto performance winter for $122 +tax+warranty each. It grips very well plus I can still go fast when its not slippery (v-rated tires).
Old 12-09-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the stock Potenzas still with I dunno, 6500 miles on them, and so far the car is handling pretty well in the snow. They're ok on dry pavement, and not that good on wet, but they've been pretty decent in the snow so far, and we had about 8" here in western Mass. It handles a lot better than my old Probe GT; much more predictable when it's losing grip, and it's not putting 250 ft/lbs to the wheels either. I have found that the tC's n/a motor helps traction a lot, since it has a much more linear power delivery than a torquey turbo motor.

Quick Reply: How does your tC handle in the Snow???