Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

I need info on coilovers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I need info on coilovers...

Well, I had my friend check for drive way clearance on my stock springs and I approached the driveway straight since I have my AE92 parked at the driveway.

My friend told me that I would barely make it up my driveway without scratching my bumper if I have a 2" drop... So now it looks like I can't go the 2" drop lowering springs way and I don't want to get the TRD since it is almost as soft as OE springs and I won't get any G increase in cornering...

Now I'm thinking about getting coil-overs for the 1" drop and much better suspension performance since I'm getting TRD struts soon if I went the lowering springs way...

I want to know how good/harsh is the ride comfort compared to TRD struts w/ H-Techs or TRD springs? Will they take 4 more passengers including a load of subs and amps on the hatch if somehow my friends decided to be cheap on gas and ride with me to save?

I'm interested on Tein basics or Tanabes coil-overs... but, can the Tein basic be controlled by the electronic controller?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Who told you you wont get any improvement from the trd springs? They are dead wrong. TRD springs made a big difference on mine.... trd springs + the trd rear sway made it like a different car.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ The Toyota parts dudes...
Old 09-07-2007, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good for them. Do they autox a tC with TRD suspension on it?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

A good set of adjustable coilovers (I say adjustable because the car already has coilovers on it.. coilover simply means the spring sits over the shock) will be better than the trd springs. With that being said, if you arent going to tune the suspension, get a set of lowering springs that fit what you need. If you really want to adjust ride height all the time and want to tune, get a good set of adjustables like the teins.

But rather than post up asking what components work with the electronic adjustment... just talk to a vendor that sells them or call tein themselves.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They have a Cobalt SS and a crew cab Silverado... No, they don't Auto-X ANYTHING!

Would you recommend TRD springs and struts if I have 16x7"s and Hotchkis sways?
Old 09-08-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tein basics arnt EFDC compatible. But it only controls dampening anyway not ride height. I say go with toyota, if price is an issue save up.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=191846
Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SUSTEC PRO S-0C Type II features all of the benefits of the S-0C in a lower cost, high value package. The Type II is a non-helper spring model that features a longer main coil spring.

Dispelling a popular belief that a firm or harsh ride is a sign of a performance suspension, the short stroke, shortened case dampener of the S-0C Type II is extremely unique in that it’s internal construction allows it to deliver superior handling without sacrificing strength or ride comfort.

Unique double-cylinder design allows for full suspension stroke within the shortened shock body while Low-pressure gasses ensure smooth rebound characteristics for additional ride comfort.

For all driving enthusiasts.
I want a comfortable coil over set that I can adjust both damper and ride height...

I read this at Ptuning, are they telling the truth on the ride quality, can some Tanabe Sustec users confirm this?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had TRD springs for awhile.
They give an almost stock ride but help alot in corners, since they are basically the Eibach progressive springs.
If all you want is a 1 inch drop, you won't get them with coilovers. If you did your reasearch and checked tiens site, you woudl see that the basics are not dampner adjustable. Alot of coilovers have a minimum lowere or about an inch and a half, but I think thes can go as high as .6 inches lowere then stock.

Just get the tien H. techs. You'll be fine and save money on something you'll never use to it's full potential.

Plus, when you buddy measured you pulling in, was he measureing from the bottom of your bumper? because there's a plastic gaurd that hangs a good inch lower then your bumper, and that's what I always scrapped...until I took it off to make room for my IC pipes!
Old 09-09-2007, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, seriously, trd springs and struts are awesome. don't underestimate them because they have just about the lowest drop compared to the rest of the well known brands of lowering springs.

lower does not equal better handling, or ride. those have more to to with tire profile and spring rates.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
I had TRD springs for awhile.
They give an almost stock ride but help alot in corners, since they are basically the Eibach progressive springs.
If all you want is a 1 inch drop, you won't get them with coilovers. If you did your reasearch and checked tiens site, you woudl see that the basics are not dampner adjustable. Alot of coilovers have a minimum lowere or about an inch and a half, but I think thes can go as high as .6 inches lowere then stock.

Just get the tien H. techs. You'll be fine and save money on something you'll never use to it's full potential.

Plus, when you buddy measured you pulling in, was he measureing from the bottom of your bumper? because there's a plastic gaurd that hangs a good inch lower then your bumper, and that's what I always scrapped...until I took it off to make room for my IC pipes!
Yes it was the "anti-dirt covers/guards" that would definitely hit/scrape with the Hotchkis springs I want. I nearly hit him when he was measuring the clearance...

Anyway, I should just get the Hotchkis stage 1 with the TRD springs...

Hmmm.... When would they have a very good coil-over damper set that is as comfortable as stock for the "street" driven tCs???
Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tanabe Sustec PRO S-OC type-II

Scion tC 05- 6.0 / 8.0 -3/8~-2in / -3/8~-2 3/8in TSC106X $980.00

Who uses Tanabe sustec-IIs to confirm the 3/8 lower than stock ride height?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by forpinks
Yes it was the "anti-dirt covers/guards" that would definitely hit/scrape with the Hotchkis springs I want. I nearly hit him when he was measuring the clearance...

Anyway, I should just get the Hotchkis stage 1 with the TRD springs...

Hmmm.... When would they have a very good coil-over damper set that is as comfortable as stock for the "street" driven tCs???
Dont' worry about hitting that. It's just a bendable piece of plastic.

And you ment Hothchkis stage 1 TVS and TRD Shocks, right?
I thought you already had sway bars?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^I don't have the "stiff with muscle" Hotchkis ones in gloss red, I only have the malnourished "OEM sport tuned" ones in BBQ grill black that sways an awful lot!

I'm gonna do the the Hotchkis TVS Stage1 w/ the TRD springs and F&R anti-sway bars first, then I'll decide on my struts later on since their still good.

Ummm... I checked my anti-sway bars and the front looks pretty hard to replace, and is a bit cramped with just plastic ramps or jack stands. Can I ask someone here on how much shops charge to install the sway bars?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did my front.
I will never do it again.
I called some stealerships and they wanted $500 JUST FOR THE FRONT!
But I asked Sue at ProStreetAutoPerformance and he said he would do it for me way cheaper. Don't know if he'll give you the same deal since your a jacka$$, but can't hurt to give them a call. Just don't tell them I sent you because I dont' want to me associated with you at all
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think i paid like...175 or something for my front one...
Old 09-10-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Findlay quoted me 400bucks (front only) even with the help from the guy I bought my tC from...

THAT SUCKS! (I may have to call Pro Street Performance and tell Sue I'm friends with Phil the Amerasian dude ; )