Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

If I were...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default If I were...

to base an opinion on the amount the tC threads were viewed... I would assume that a very limited amount of tC interest was in regards to suspension and handling.

I personally think this may be one of the most important areas to consider in this car.

Handling is above looks and HP in my book... but contributes to both equally.

Just an observation.
I hope this area is more trafficed in the future. So we can all learn more about our options.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

car handles pretty damn good stock. AND there are no adjustable shocks/struts out yet. (that's what i'm waiting for as I am NOT paying $300-$500 for NONadjustable TRDs!)
Old 03-26-2005, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ditto
Old 03-26-2005, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: If I were...

Originally Posted by TeamMightyMiniz
to base an opinion on the amount the tC threads were viewed... I would assume that a very limited amount of tC interest was in regards to suspension and handling.

I personally think this may be one of the most important areas to consider in this car.

Just an observation.
I hope this area is more trafficed in the future. So we can all learn more about our options.
I agree with you very much. My car dealer is a friend and I've been on two test drives. One was calm and the other..umm...more spirited. What I noticed is the car has a severe amount of understeer that almost scared me. Once the car started letting go up front there was no way to control the turn withought re-gaining traction first. I think the camber kit is going to be needed in order to dial the car in for the twisties. I don't know what the factory cambet is but it felt in the positive and on a car like the TC I'd want my camber in the negatives. Although we can't really control the roll center, lowering the car 2" all the way around probably improves this a bit as a higher roll center is more desireable.
I think that many people maybe buying the TC just to drive around everyday (like me)so the suspension on this car may never get the attention it deserves from most people. My only excuse is that I'm building another car to push over a lateral-g so beating on the TC probably won't happen.
Does anyone know what the figure is for this car over the 200' skidpad?
Old 03-26-2005, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

.8 or lower prob
Old 03-26-2005, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...on_tc_data.pdf

.82 G
64mph slalom
Old 03-26-2005, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

not bad for stock...
Old 03-26-2005, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zefhix
What I noticed is the car has a severe amount of understeer that almost scared me. Once the car started letting go up front there was no way to control the turn withought re-gaining traction first. I think the camber kit is going to be needed in order to dial the car in for the twisties. I don't know what the factory cambet is but it felt in the positive and on a car like the TC I'd want my camber in the negatives. Although we can't really control the roll center, lowering the car 2" all the way around probably improves this a bit as a higher roll center is more desireable.
Actually, people have observed at the limit lift throttle OVERsteer, even bone stock, which is surely scarier for novice drivers (or fwd drivers in general) than understeer. Usually all you do if you start plowing is let off the gas but here that may send the back end out a little if not done with care especially if you stiffen up the rear sway bar only. The slow-in, fast-out approach is definately in effect here. People have also reported the rear end getting really loose under heavy braking at the track with trd springs/shocks. It has been posted here that lowering a mcpherson strut suspension is anti-productive and unfortunately that is what we have up front.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yesti
Originally Posted by Zefhix
What I noticed is the car has a severe amount of understeer that almost scared me. Once the car started letting go up front there was no way to control the turn withought re-gaining traction first. I think the camber kit is going to be needed in order to dial the car in for the twisties. I don't know what the factory cambet is but it felt in the positive and on a car like the TC I'd want my camber in the negatives. Although we can't really control the roll center, lowering the car 2" all the way around probably improves this a bit as a higher roll center is more desireable.
Actually, people have observed at the limit lift throttle OVERsteer, even bone stock, which is surely scarier for novice drivers (or fwd drivers in general) than understeer. Usually all you do if you start plowing is let off the gas but here that may send the back end out a little if not done with care especially if you stiffen up the rear sway bar only. The slow-in, fast-out approach is definately in effect here. People have also reported the rear end getting really loose under heavy braking at the track with trd springs/shocks. It has been posted here that lowering a mcpherson strut suspension is anti-productive and unfortunately that is what we have up front.

I'm sorry, i must have meant oversteer....good info on the struts and springs.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeamMightyMiniz

Just an observation.
Well said brother. The tC in many ways reminds me of the Porsche 944, and for
years it was the same thing in those forums too.

After a few years though, they realized the BEST "performance mod" they could
do, was take an advanced drivers ed course to learn how to push the car properly.

*then* handling and making it lighter came into play.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lonely Raven
The tC in many ways reminds me of the Porsche 944, and for
years it was the same thing in those forums too.

After a few years though, they realized the BEST "performance mod" they could
do, was take an advanced drivers ed course to learn how to push the car properly.

*then* handling and making it lighter came into play.
hehe our cars remind people of porsche's? wow maybe i'm not giving it the credit it deserves with my 'sporty commuter' comment who would've thought one needed driving lessons to handle a FF NA 4 banger!
Old 03-26-2005, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Driving "lessons" are always a great mod.

Track days are always available.
But remember, they are addictive and must be done after every few mods or so...

hehehe

By the way, my site is working on producing a Scion Challenge. A time attack on the track. Get ready.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The car does have moderate UNDERsteer in normal conditions. The car can get a little light in the back, but you have to execute some pretty serious weigh shifting. Engine braking at high RPM's will probably do it (lift-off oversteer), and very heavy breaking will most certainly do it (as it does on many FF coupes). Weight transfer is a little easier on this car, probably because of the heavy glass roof that sits at the very top of it.

I wonder how long before we see some tC's feint drifting on videos?
Old 03-27-2005, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With stock rubber at stock height, feint drifting is a breeze.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

having owned a 87 944S, I can say that in no way does my tc remind me of the 944. Nearly every aspect of the porsche was different. Just my $0.02
Old 03-27-2005, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I'll put it this way. If you find yourself experiencing understeer, the WRONG thing to do is suddenly completely lift off the throttle while continuing to pull on the wheel a little. The car will rapidly shift from an understeer to oversteer condition - if you've never had a car that acted that way its a bit unnerving the first time you do it.

The front tires which just a moment before were not getting much traction will suddenly grab the road and pull you back into the turn, and the back end will get loose.

I'm used to cars that get loose on one end or the other, but the tC is the first car I've had where you can both ends to get loose in rapid sucession without being on ice or something...

Anyhow, since that experience, I've learned to keep my foot on the throttle a little even while lifting off to reduce understeer and its not a problem anymore.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about trail braking? When entering a turn keep slight braking pressure to keep the front end planted. obviously you can over brake and kill yourself, so moderation is key
Old 03-30-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've noticed that this section does not move much as well.
Just curious, Mighty, what do you think would have to be done to the tC to get it's handling closeing to your old Mini?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:07 AM
dex
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just ordered my Tein SS coilovers with EDFC and hotchkis swaybars. i definatly agree the suspension is the first thing that should be tweaked with...my old sunbird could corner better with the little 14's i was rollin on. but i think a good addition to the corner carvers section should be a good tech article explaining technique and ways to improve heel/toe downshifting. ive been working on it for a few months now that i have a car where the brake and accelerator pedals are near the same height and could use some pointers on how to make the motion feel more natural.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mr Meaty, A lot! But that's not to say it's impossible or implausible.

First, light weight wheels and sticky tires

Best thing you can do would be to instal adjustable eveything. Coilovers struts springs sways camber ... etc

New motor mount/bushings

There are many options and I am interested in looking into all of them

Lightening the load can't hurt either.

We all notice that at stock height and stock rubber, we can slide fairly easily. That must be taken care of, to limit the car's own limit of adhesion.

Heel toe ... that's a good one, it's not easy to learn, it can take months of daily practice to perfect, some never do.

Watch some Option or Best Motoring DVD's, they usually have some great pedal cams.

I am willing to bet, that A well tuned suspension on a Stock tC VERSUS the NITTO Turbo tC on a tight road course... Would show the power of a well tuned suspension.

If any vendors want to work with me on that, please contact me..

hehehe

Quick Reply: If I were...