Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Install Ingalls Damper

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those brackets look nice and strong. That's a sweet looking product
Old 12-19-2005, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I am anxious to get mine installed
Old 12-22-2005, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump
Old 12-22-2005, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice write up kaeon. how many miles do u have on your TC? rob told me that the stiffy works even better on TCs that have been broken in. i can't wait to have my Ingalls ETD pro installed next week for S3 magazine
Old 12-22-2005, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FLINT
nice write up kaeon. how many miles do u have on your TC? rob told me that the stiffy works even better on TCs that have been broken in. i can't wait to have my Ingalls ETD pro installed next week for S3 magazine
I have around 14k miles on the car...
Old 12-22-2005, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

post that article up when s3 gets it done!!! good luck and congrats on getting your car in S3! When are thye doing the install and what issue is your car going to be in for the Ingalls damper review?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by robstamina
post that article up when s3 gets it done!!! good luck and congrats on getting your car in S3! When are thye doing the install and what issue is your car going to be in for the Ingalls damper review?
the install will be done on next tuesday12/27/05 and it will be in the April issue
Old 12-27-2005, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shouldn't this be in NA not S&H?
Old 12-27-2005, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Nope.. it has to do with suspension and handling... doesn't actually "add" hp... its serves as a means of control and stability
Old 12-27-2005, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is a pretty n00b question, but I'm trying to figure how the damper actually works. I mean... I know it dampens things, but it's attached between the strut tower and the engine mounting bracket - so when the torque from the engine hits, this just smooths out it's delivery to the wheels, at the expense of the chassis soaking up the vibrations? Just trying to get straight in my head what this does.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

One of the disadvantage of FWD car is the vibration of the engine because it is right on the top of the wheels. It makes your tires hop a little so you will lose traction. So if you lessen the movement of the engine, the less vibration on the front wheels you get, so you will get better launch.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah... got it! I thought it was something related to the delivery of power from the engine to the wheels, but it sounds more like the vibration of the engine is just shaking the whole front of the car, hence the wheels have a harder time gripping, so the damper smooths out engine vibration and therefore lets the wheels grip better. Good to know.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It does also help to deliver more power to the wheels since less torque is lost due to the movement of the engine. It is held more securely which translates into smoother powe delivery. It also acts as a transmission brace since the engine and trans are directly connected. You will find your shifts will be more precise and smoother after installing this along with less wheel hop.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds pretty nice - if it came with it I'd be happy or if this wasn't my daily driver I'd go for it, but translating more vibration and noise to the cabin isn't something I want to pay for right now. Too bad it can't put it somewhere magical... like the ground or something. Oh well... physics is physics.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can totally tell when my wheels hop or the engine moves a bunch that it kills power output.
is this still on sale?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stu_Gotti
Nope.. it has to do with suspension and handling... doesn't actually "add" hp... its serves as a means of control and stability
I can see how the argument can be made for handling somewhat (though note that stability is a bit of a broader than handling)
But even so I would think of the part more as a power adder than a handling component.

Even though it doesnt add any actual "hp", my understanding is that it does modify the torque output to the wheels, hence it should be in a performance-related category.

By your definition of the S&H class, we could potentially add any talks of polyurethane motor mounts, and even lighten components such as a pulleys, since they do not actually generate more HP and effectively increases or decreases things like wheel hop and torque steer.

I don't really care either way.. my main concern is for consistency sake, every other article ever posted on torque dampners appears in NA, which along with FI were formally Power Hungry.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Haha.. I agree.. its just one of those thangs
Old 12-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

The torque dampener helps put power down to the wheels, improves acceleration response, braking solidity, helps get rid of wheel hop, and makes overall improvements in shifting.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My $0.02.....
The "technical" aspects of this part is that it reduces shock loads when tires lose and regain traction during driving.i.e (less wheel hop and torque steer) It also relieves shock loads on driveline components hence the better, more precise shifting with less wear and tear on tranny, exhaust and engine components. True when you stiffin the engine you are going to transfer more vibration throughout the cars chasis as opposed to the drivetrain itself but again this is all subjective.. What I think is a minimal vibration could be a big deal to someone that doesn't know what a performance vehicle really should feel like. A stock tc is WAY different than a 280+ hp tc street fighter. With the help of the dynamat around the strut tower area the majority of vibrations are countered. Basically when your engine is moving around you are being "robbed" of power and the overall performance of your vehicle..Is it a motor mod sure... is it a suspension mod sure... basically IMO it is helping both so that makes it hard to but into a specific catagory...
Old 12-28-2005, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good explination

Quick Reply: Install Ingalls Damper