Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Installed suspension all TRD and my word is that...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Installed suspension all TRD and my word is that...

TRD Shocks/Springs/Swaybar = Awesome handling. Daily driver that quickly tightens up to quite the track car when you get into it. It is stiffer when you are really hammering on it.

I am defenitely going to enjoy autocross - I went out for a test run and the car was silk in the turns.

I have driven alot of cars on a ton of good suspension setups and the tC with this equipment is an amazing handling car. Good suspension won't matter without a good driver -

Anyways, I am impressed.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too my TRD parts and cant say enough good things about it although I did get the Hotchis sways since the TRD allowed too much body roll at the track. What tires are you using? I put the Falken Azenis RT-615son and it is really unbeleivable. You should look into those if you want to get into autocrossing a lot. In fact Grassroots Motorsports published an articlea comparing all of the new most populat autoX street based tires and the Falkens handily won. They have also worked very well in the wet weather weve had the last few weeks here.

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com...5_tiretest.pdf
Old 04-16-2006, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i too just had my trd shocks/ springs installed. WOW its a night and day difference. 60mph around on-ramps anyone? ive been having fun. only thing is that now i realize how much the stock tires suck. and the drop. its alot lower then what it looks like in the pics too. its a great buy and i reccomend everyone to go w/ it.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:13 PM
dex
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now just think at how well it would handle with an even stiffer setup . my setup performed well at autocross last year but I was always beaten by the cars that were lighter than the porky tC. i will be giving the tC the real handling test in a couple months at Toronto Motorsports Park. me and a few of the local enthusiasts are renting out the 3 km track in June. should be interesting to see how well she likes turning at speed.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so u guys would def recommend the TRD suspension, sway, and shocks for an everyday driver?
Old 04-16-2006, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Absolutely. The only only time I would recommend using a stiffer sway bar setup is if you plan to do a lot of canyon runs or autoX/track use since the TRD bar just isnt stiff enough for those conditions. Otherwise, the TRD stuff gets an A+ for what its designed to handle.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:31 PM
dex
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the TRD setup is your best choice if you still want a relativly comfortable ride. i threw comfort out the window with spring rates that are 3 times stiffer than the factory setup (trd's are only about 20% stiffer). but im more than happy to give up comfort for a car that turns on a dime.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dex
now just think at how well it would handle with an even stiffer setup . my setup performed well at autocross last year but I was always beaten by the cars that were lighter than the porky tC. i will be giving the tC the real handling test in a couple months at Toronto Motorsports Park. me and a few of the local enthusiasts are renting out the 3 km track in June. should be interesting to see how well she likes turning at speed.
Actually the problem is with 'stiffer' is that if the cars stance isn't correct for it along with an alignment to compliment it and the suspension isn't letting the weight sit on the tire and exerts the force 'outwards' instead you can lose control and spin out.

I saw alot of cars at autocross that were too stiff and had race tires on and they did not perform so well. I killed them on just the springs and nothing else on street tires. Alot of them spun out as well putting too much confidence and not enough common sense into their driving.

I spent 8 years racing skiing and slalom was my best event and there are common elements between the sports that help me realize alot about driving line, center of gravity, weight transfer etc. It is really helping me put it to the road.

I would go stiffer if I wanted to put on race tires and change my alignment for it to make it super grippy... This is my daily driver though. Maybe if I get another car and a truck and a trailer I would do that heh.

[/url]
Old 04-16-2006, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am glad to hear all the good thing about TRD suspension. I can't wait to get them on my daily driver.
BTW. are there any online place cheaper than McGeorge?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

TRD springs definitely are nice. I love mine. One thing to keep in mind is that on the road stiffer is definitely not always better. Roads are usually MUCH rougher than tracks, so you still need to be able to hold the road over bumpy turns. Too stiff and you have more chance of breaking loose over the bumps you encounter on everyday roads.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

try trdsparks.com
Old 04-17-2006, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

research the prices, but i have to say that, at the time i bought mine, msgeorge is the cheapest
Old 04-17-2006, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree with everyone. the setup is freaking awesome. though i use hotchkis sways, i used to have the trd. all worth it.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so is Hotchkis sways better than TRD's?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

there are lots of threads on that, but really... if you have the trd already, you probably wont be sad if you dont upgrade to hotchkis haha. it isnt a WORLD of difference. both achieve their purpose :]
Old 04-17-2006, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Ditto. They're both going to be a great improvement over stock. But the Hotchkis gives that extra setting and thickness over the TRD that MIGHT help you if you race or something. Otherwise, don't bother.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

another good thing bout the trd setup is that its not too low where u have to go sideways to get out of driveways and go over bumps. dont get me wrong there are a few places where u would have to but most places you should be fine. here are some before and after pics to compare.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It could just be me but I am pretty sure that the TRD shocks evened out my gap between the front and rear the stance looks better. Could just be me... I'm pretty sure though.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i almost went this route but got tein basics instead...glad you enjoy the setup, i love my teins.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i got tein basics and omfg they are amazing

Quick Reply: Installed suspension all TRD and my word is that...