Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Low dust brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Low dust brake pads?

I washed my car 10 days ago and my wheels are already covered in brake dust. Anyone recommend good low dust brake pads for the tC? front and rear. I used to use Mintex pads on my VW, but it doesnt look like they make a set for tC's. Btw, I went on Kragen.com to check pads and I found 05 tC's, Camry's (4 cyl), and Celica GTS (04) all use the same front brake pads.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

some wheel cleaners come with brake dust repel. You might want to try that instead of spending $$$ on the brake pads. As for the brake pads themselves I have no idea but maybe you should try the different material that the brake pads are made of
Old 02-09-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Two good low dust pads for the tC are the Hawk HPS and Axxis Deluxe Plus. The HPS is a higher performance pad than the Deluxe plus but is also about 3x's the price. Either pad will be an upgrade from the stock pads in terms of performance and reduced dust.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
Two good low dust pads for the tC are the Hawk HPS and Axxis Deluxe Plus. The HPS is a higher performance pad than the Deluxe plus but is also about 3x's the price. Either pad will be an upgrade from the stock pads in terms of performance and reduced dust.
You know that's funny, cuz I read nothing but good things about the Hawk HPS (being low noise, low dust, etc.). So I bought them about 2 months ago when I needed new pads.. and now my front wheels look filthy all the time from all the brake dust, and they squeak loudly at first when coming to a stop. I gotta say I'm really not happy with them at all.

I bought the Hawk HPS's for $79 from TireRack.

But the idea about getting some wheel cleaner with built-in brake dust repellant is a GREAT idea, I'm going to go to Advance Auto Parts this weekend and pick some up. Thx!!
Old 02-10-2006, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You may want to check to make sure you got the HPS sent to you bcause there is also the Hawk HP+ which is known to be very dusty and quite loud even when bedded in. Check the box to make sure they didnt accidentally send you the wrong pads because those characteristics sound an awful lot like HP+. FYI the HPS come in a purple box while the HP+ come in a black box. Also the HPS pads have the letter "F" in the part number with the HP+ having the letter "N".
Old 02-10-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
You may want to check to make sure you got the HPS sent to you bcause there is also the Hawk HP+ which is known to be very dusty and quite loud even when bedded in. Check the box to make sure they didnt accidentally send you the wrong pads because those characteristics sound an awful lot like HP+. FYI the HPS come in a purple box while the HP+ come in a black box. Also the HPS pads have the letter "F" in the part number with the HP+ having the letter "N".
Thx I will be sure to check that.. I'm going to be really mad if that's the case.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess another question is how do they feel? If they are HP+ they will bite very hard and give excellent performance. The HPS dont have the really strong initial bite and are more linear in feel.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I guess I am lucky. Brake dust doesn't show up very well on my Release Series rims. The dust does make the rims look not as shiny, but that is the only way I can tell unless I try to wipe them off with a rag. Then I can see how much dust is actually on them.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you dunno dust until you brake as much as i do.. geez
hahah
axxis ultimate pads... dust up so much. my rim looks gunmetal
Old 02-15-2006, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i have the hawk hps pads for the front, and the satisfied pro ceramic pads for the rear. neither set is very high dust. don't get me wrong, they do dust, but i don't think they dust nearly as much as the axxis ultimates. those things dust like crazy from the what i've seen on people's cars who have them. also, prestone has this spray crap that is supposed to kinda repel brake dust or something like that. i tried it when i had the stock pads in, and i'm not sure if they really help that much, but they do get wheels cleaner, so whatever. either way, i gotta clean my wheels, so might as well use the stuff that might help prevent brake dust.