Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Need Advice:Undercarriage (tow hooks scraping)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need Advice:Undercarriage (tow hooks scraping)

Well I hope the title is direct enough but ever since I moved from S. FL to NYC I've noticed this problem. Currently the car is on s-tech's (which was perfectly fine for s. fla - 90% pristine roads) but ever since getting to nyc with the shoddy roads I am scraping just about EVERYWHERE

I'm already starting to think that if I don't get coilovers by winter I'm gonna have to just park the car up cause there's NO WAY I can imagine effectively navigating the horrible roads in snow conditions being this low but first I need to know if I'm causing any damage currently and the best way to solve this current issue.

I've read on other forums people suggesting using a dremel to cut off the underneath tow hooks (a tool I don't own) and an idea I haven't seen executed in pics but I'm not opposed to it since we do have the access to a tow hook on our front bumper. I was also thinking of just filing them down but that may take longer than I handle.

Anybody that can drop any info/advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Scion_Nole
Well I hope the title is direct enough but ever since I moved from S. FL to NYC I've noticed this problem. Currently the car is on s-tech's (which was perfectly fine for s. fla - 90% pristine roads) but ever since getting to nyc with the shoddy roads I am scraping just about EVERYWHERE

I'm already starting to think that if I don't get coilovers by winter I'm gonna have to just park the car up cause there's NO WAY I can imagine effectively navigating the horrible roads in snow conditions being this low but first I need to know if I'm causing any damage currently and the best way to solve this current issue.

I've read on other forums people suggesting using a dremel to cut off the underneath tow hooks (a tool I don't own) and an idea I haven't seen executed in pics but I'm not opposed to it since we do have the access to a tow hook on our front bumper. I was also thinking of just filing them down but that may take longer than I handle.

Anybody that can drop any info/advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
Don't hack your car up because you scrape. Get coilovers or stock suspension.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol learn to drive, seriously don't mean to be a dick, but how are you not capable of driving on s.techs?...
Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

road are probably really bad there, I had my cases of bad roads and scrapping pipes and undercarriage had to go 5mph the entire street, just no escape on that road zig zag my way to the my friends house, by far the worst street I've been on and I'll definitely stay away.
I don't think its his driving but the condition of the roads in some locations, he is new to NY, He probably hasn't learned the roads yet. Once he figures out how to get around the bad roads he should be okay, thats if their are any good roads there.

as for advice prob just do what tcprincess said....
Old 08-02-2010, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In Puerto Rico the roads are all bad! that's why its always raining, big trucks on the road and government dont care at all.. What we do down here is simply go slow!!! and zig zag speed bumbs etc etc... you just have to get use to it, or stock suspension,<--- that sucks
Old 08-02-2010, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the input. I am eventually going to spring for coilovers but The problem is not learning how to drive on s-techs but learning to drive on the local roads here.