Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

No brake power after pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:26 PM

Default No brake power after pad replacement

I dont know where else to post this so this is the best place i could find so move wherever necessary. Ok so we took all 4 of my calipers completely off of my scion tc 2005 we painted them and replaced the pads. We then put the calipers back on with pads installed. We bled the brakes in this order (rear passenger side, rear driver side, front passenger side, driver front side). After we were done there was no air in any of the lines. (we did this process twice just to make sure because we didn't know what else to do lol). I started the car and i proceeded to pump the brakes like you are supposed to and there was no pressure. There IS pressure when the car is off but when the car is on there is NO pressure at all, The pedal goes all the way to the floor? I dont know what else to do does anyone know how to fix this problem i haven't had a car for 4 days and counting....
Old 03-19-2011, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Basically you still have alot of air in the lines. Either keep using the brake pedal pump method or if you can get a vacuum bleeder use that instead and it will do a better job. Also make sure to check the process in the factory service manual, abs can cause some issues with bleeding and usually their is a specific order you need to follow to do it proper.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member

I had a similar problem to yours and it turned out that one of my front calipers "seized/locked" up. Try taking them off and inspect them then put them back on.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:33 AM

how would i know if they were locked up?
Old 03-19-2011, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Doubt they're locked up. This is a common issue, check out these threads;

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199688
Old 03-19-2011, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

how did you bleed the calipers?

i usually have someone pump the pedal till its firm (with the car off) then i loosen the bleeder on the caliper and watch the fluid come out (to check for air bubbles)

when you loosen the bleeder the brake pedal should go the floor.

after a couple of seconds re tighten the bleeder. (the person holding the brake pedal down does not let go till you re-tighten. if he/she does air will be sucked in)

repeat till you see a steady stream of fluid coming out and no bubbles is in it.

if i was you i would re bleed the system like i said in the same order you said then bleed the master cylinder too.

to bleed the master cylinder crack the lines loose and have someone press the pedal down. with the pedal pressed down re-tighten the lines. repeat till air is gone from fluid coming out.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:21 PM

Don't you have to bleed the master cylinder first then bleed lines? I see the two lines that you are talking about but which ones do i pull off the lines connected to the master cylinder or the brake booster? If you can kind of explain the process that would be awesome ill go try it as soon as you let me know...
Old 03-21-2011, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

no you bleed the master cylinder last. that's why you bleed the calipers in the order that you did because you start with the furthest bleeder from the master cylinder and work your way up to the master cylinder. you're trying to get all the air out of the system by getting the air from the back first. if you bleed the master cylinder first air would still be in all the lines going to all the calipers. bleeding the master cylinder first would be going backwards.

you don't take the lines going to the master cylinder completely off unless you are bench bleeding the master cylinder which i don't think you need to do. just crack the two 10mm bolts at the end of the metal lines and have someone push the brake pedal down and hold it for bout 4-5 secs then re-tighten before he lets go of the brake pedal. repeat bout 4-5 times or until there is a solid stream of fluid without air bubbles and you should be good