Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Offset .36 or .48 -Which will fit tC better when Lowered?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Offset .36 or .48 -Which will fit tC better when Lowered?

After going back and forth on which wheel and tire for my 2007 scion, I settled on this wheel/tire package. The wheel is the Ace Manta in HyperBlack, I really like them. Check out the wheels on my while 07'tC, no lowering has been done yet. The specs are 18x7.5 5x100 +35 offset. The tires are Toyo 225/40/18ZR. From the time I purchased this package I always had plans to lower it with the TRD springs, so all my conversations with wheel companies were done in the context that I would be lowering the car [so sell me a wheel/tire that fits !!].

The Ace wheel only comes in two offsets and they are both suppose to work with the tC. I know very little about this stuff so Hopefully some of you have had some hands on experience with this sort of thing; maybe even the exact wheel and tire, or similar offsets. 35mm and 48mm are the two options for this wheel. I think I made the right choice in going with the 35 offset, but now I am not so sure? I installed the rims and tires leaving everything else in place, meaning stock everything. It doesn't rub anywhere, but I do see that if I were to put the TRD springs on it may hit the outside of the wheel well. I don't know how much clearence I now have with the current 35 offset? If I went with the 48, and I think I still can, won't that push the center of the wheel to the outside more, consequently pushing the entire wheel in more, if that were true then I think the 48's would work better. But, with the 48mm I don't konw if it will now rub on the inside of the wheel ??????

I know so little about this stuff, all suggestions and comments are Very welcomed

Martin

- Mabye if I can figure out how to upload a picture then I could upload it for discussion purposes... How would I upload a picture anyway ??
Old 05-21-2007, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's some info that might help you out a bit...

Wheel Offsets Info

Be glad that you went with the +35 offset. +48 will look pretty much like stock 17s. (They have a +45.) I have the same offset on both sets of my rims and couldn't be happier. (Although I do get a slight rub here and there with the 8.5" width rims.) Trust me, you'll be ok.

So install them Springs and admire how much better the tC looks lowered and try not to kick yourself too hard in the **** for not lowering it sooner!

About uploading pics; go to photobucket.com and create an account. Upload pics and then post them by copying and pasting the IMG Code. Like this...

Good luck! :D
Old 05-21-2007, 07:38 PM

Default My White baby with the 18's and the 1 & only white mud f

Thank you Hyghgyn! I am going to take you advise and go aheaad with this on my wheels with the 35 offset and the TRD springs. I am going to try and upload a few pictures, we'll see how I do, comments welcomed. I say that because I still have some that say, don't lower unless you want to bottom out on every pothole... So, I am still a little concerned about that. Also, what is a 'reasonable' amount to pay for this spring install?

[/img]
Old 05-21-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reasonable amount would be no more than $200. Heck, when you're ready, post up in the regional areas forum and somebody might help you out locally for a fee of lunch and a 12-pack.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:02 AM

Thanks, I'll try that..