Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Powerslot big brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some of you guys may want to consider a big brake kit from us. It's a full big brake kit with 4 piston calipers which are properly sized. Our kit has a 328mm rotor. 12.9" is the conversion for you folks. 2 pc floating rotor. If you want to see if this big brake kit will fit you wheels, just check our wheel fitment template here. http://www.stoptech.com/wheelfitchar...55-2430-02.PDF

I should also point out something about those caliper extension kits. If you move the stock caliper out onto a larger rotor. You are in effect increasing brake torque. Good thing? Not necessarily. Remember the brake balance issue?? If brake torque is increased in the front, it should also be increased in the rear to keep balance. Stock cars come with almost perfect balance. If brake torque is increased on the front but not the rear, then stopping distances will in effect grow longer.

See this link for more details on brake balance
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...erformance.htm

Even if you were to add a rear caliper extension. How would you know if was expended the proper amount to maintain proper brake balance. We take our brakes and do real world testing with out kits on a runway. Here is an article about our testing procedures on one of our reseller's website. http://www.zeckhausen.com/testing_brakes.htm

If you guys want to get a stiffer pedal out of the car, get some stainless steel lines. After that you'd have to get a big brake kit to have a stiffer pedal. The stock slingle piston slider calipers will allow the pedal to move some. A larger stiffer caliper will give a better pedal feel among other things.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guys, we have a Toyota. You can probably get an amazing brake setup from supra and retrofit it to your TC. they cost around $500 used for a lot of braking power and looks for such low price.
I am from the Lexus crowd and we have been doing this forever. I will most likely go that route and see what comes of it.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone tried tht fitment chart to see if they would clear our stock 17's?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brake balance is essential for proper braking. Maximum braking power occurs when all four tires are about to lockup. Brake balance is making sure that both tires will lock at the same time with weight transfer in mind. Say you amp up your brakes in the front. Huge rotors with 12 pistons, stickiest pads, etc etc. Leave the rear stock. I guarantee you that with everything else the same, that your stopping distances will grow longer. This is because the rear brakes are being underutilized. Just like in the scanned article posted earlier. That article was actually written by one of our consultants. Keep these things in mind when talking about brakes.

Another common misconception is that rotors will help in braking. The pads do most of the stopping. Rotors and all features equated with the rotors are meant for cooling. Larger rotors will help with heat capacity.

Now for calipers. Almost all cars these days come with single piston sliding calipers. Evo8, Sti, and 350z Track are exceptions. single piston slider pistons aren't the most efficient, however they are the least expensive to produce with decent performance. Opposed calipers, pistons on both sides of the rotor, are more efficient in braking. The calipers are also stiffer which provide better pedal feel. The # of pistons don't really matter. It's the size of the pistons that matter. This goes back to the brake balance issue. We test our piston sizing to fine the correct one for the best brake balance.

Most big brake kits will come with a two piece floating rotor set up with aluminum hats. The floating rotors allow the iron part to expand and contract without warping the center hat. This is also a barrier which keeps the heat from your bearings. Two piece rotors also lighten overall weight of rotors.

There is so much information to go through. I can't nearly put enough in one post. Please see our technical section. It goes through almost anything and everything you would need to know about brakes.
http://www.stoptech.com/technical/

Also be sure to look through the FAQ section. http://www.stoptech.com/faq/
I'm absolutely sure that it will answer some of the questions that some of you have about brakes.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stoptech
The # of pistons don't really matter. It's the size of the pistons that matter
Actually, I was watching a program on the speed channel, and they said that multiple pistons provide a more equal sqeeze on the entire pad. Rather than having one big caliper which will squeeze on one small area, good brake kits such as those made by baer, and brembo have 6-8 piston calipers, which deliver a superior stopping power.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrv2000
The # of pistons don't really matter. It's the size of the pistons that matter
Actually, I was watching a program on the speed channel, and they said that multiple pistons provide a more equal sqeeze on the entire pad. Rather than having one big caliper which will squeeze on one small area, good brake kits such as those made by baer, and brembo have 6-8 piston calipers, which deliver a superior stopping power.
Compared to a single piston setup that is correct. Our calipers are properly sized to prevent pad taper which happens when as you described with single piston calipers. Keep in mind the upkeep cost that 6 and 8 piston calipers have vs a 4 piston. Rebuild costs are higher, pads are more expensive and the sort.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rebuild costs are higher
I dont really know what this is, cuold you clarify?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Brake balance is essential for proper braking. Maximum braking power occurs when all four tires are about to lockup. Brake balance is making sure that both tires will lock at the same time with weight transfer in mind. Say you amp up your brakes in the front. Huge rotors with 12 pistons, stickiest pads, etc etc. Leave the rear stock. I guarantee you that with everything else the same, that your stopping distances will grow longer. This is because the rear brakes are being underutilized. Just like in the scanned article posted earlier. That article was actually written by one of our consultants. Keep these things in mind when talking about brakes.

Another common misconception is that rotors will help in braking. The pads do most of the stopping. Rotors and all features equated with the rotors are meant for cooling. Larger rotors will help with heat capacity.

Now for calipers. Almost all cars these days come with single piston sliding calipers. Evo8, Sti, and 350z Track are exceptions. single piston slider pistons aren't the most efficient, however they are the least expensive to produce with decent performance. Opposed calipers, pistons on both sides of the rotor, are more efficient in braking. The calipers are also stiffer which provide better pedal feel. The # of pistons don't really matter. It's the size of the pistons that matter. This goes back to the brake balance issue. We test our piston sizing to fine the correct one for the best brake balance.

Most big brake kits will come with a two piece floating rotor set up with aluminum hats. The floating rotors allow the iron part to expand and contract without warping the center hat. This is also a barrier which keeps the heat from your bearings. Two piece rotors also lighten overall weight of rotors.

There is so much information to go through. I can't nearly put enough in one post. Please see our technical section. It goes through almost anything and everything you would need to know about brakes.

I'm absolutely sure that it will answer some of the questions that some of you have about brakes.
This is one of a few guys on this forum who knows of what he speaks. Listen up, take notes, and pay attention.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17

This is one of a few guys on this forum who knows of what he speaks. Listen up, take notes, and pay attention.
He is a StopTech rep. He damn well better know what he is talking about. Thx mr. obvious
Old 02-24-2005, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
SL Member

I was quoted $79 each X 2=$160 Front only. Add Hawk brake pads which are either free or not depends on what promo is going on. They fit 17plus size wheels. I had Power Slot Rotors on my Quad Cab Ram w/ 20's and it made a hell of difference. Paint the calibers, run Hawk pads, Power Slot rotors and new steel lines and walla. Big Brake for a small budget. Save dollars buy more stuff!!
Old 02-24-2005, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rebuild costs are higher
I dont really know what this is, cuold you clarify?
There are two options to go rebuilding calipers. Both options replace pressure seals and dustboots. One option also changes the pistons within the calipers. Pro race teams such as those in SPEED world challenge only rebuild their calipers once a year. Hard driven street vehicles with some track time probably only need to rebuild every two or 3 years. Each individual piston is approximately $25. So for one 4 piston caliper the pistons alone, not counting the seals is $100. A 6 piston would obviouly be $150 and $200 for an 8 piston caliper. The costs are also per caliper, and obviouly double to cover the other caliper on the other side of the car and add on the dust boots and pressure seals. The amounts add up to a pretty dramatic difference. Everyone knows that a 6 or 8 piston caliper can create more brake torque than a 4 piston. But why have more pistons than necessary. Your braking is limited by your tires. If a 4 piston can lock up the tires, a 6 piston won't be able to do anymore braking than the 4 piston.

Thank you guys for the compliments. I figure why not try to edcuate an entire forum while it is in it's infacy states rather than join up later when people have learned myths instead.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is a re-build something that you have to do if you just drive spirited? I dont do any track/or street racing, but I do cruise around pretty fast, and on occassion have to stop prety fast. How long do you think before I would need a rebuild?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is a re-build something that you have to do if you just drive spirited? I dont do any track/or street racing, but I do cruise around pretty fast, and on occassion have to stop prety fast. How long do you think before I would need a rebuild?
Spirited driving is what we would consider normal driving for our kits. We are afterall in the aftermarket performance business. The conditions that I described are to keep things in absolute tip top condition. ALmost all calipers can go through 3 years or more without a rebuild. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, cool, and thanks for all that info. I'll probably be picking up my kit sometime within the year, depends on if i spend a bunch on the charger, and if I have any money left over
Old 02-24-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by retrodrive
Guys, we have a Toyota. You can probably get an amazing brake setup from supra and retrofit it to your TC. they cost around $500 used for a lot of braking power and looks for such low price.
I am from the Lexus crowd and we have been doing this forever. I will most likely go that route and see what comes of it.
I may be Mr. Obvious, but when it comes to this drivel I am Mr.Oblivious. How exactly does one retrofit a Supra brake system to a TC? Have you done this? Are you talking out your ___? Maybe you misunderstood my last post. I was trying to convey the point that the StopTech guy was offering a WORKABLE, VIABLE solution to oversize brakes, not a ham-fisted, Rube Goldberg experiment in braking as proposed by some of our more enlightened members. Tossing on some slotted rotors don't do ____, and actually out performing the stock setup overall is really tough to do. This guy has one solution that will actually do that. But what the hell do I know..............
Old 02-25-2005, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by retrodrive
I may be Mr. Obvious, but when it comes to this drivel I am Mr.Oblivious. How exactly does one retrofit a Supra brake system to a TC? Have you done this? Are you talking out your ___? Maybe you misunderstood my last post. I was trying to convey the point that the StopTech guy was offering a WORKABLE, VIABLE solution to oversize brakes, not a ham-fisted, Rube Goldberg experiment in braking as proposed by some of our more enlightened members. Tossing on some slotted rotors don't do ____, and actually out performing the stock setup overall is really tough to do. This guy has one solution that will actually do that. But what the hell do I know..............
Good point; however, before you go buy some Stoptech brakes, check out the price on those bad boys. They are great but I don't think this particular community is loaded with that kind of cash.
I have been working with Toyotas and Lexi for over 7 years now and I know that most of them share similar brakes. Supra retrofit had improved braking on every single 2-piston Lexus application we put it on (always was a direct bolton). I am here to share some expirence and future plans. It is contributing and sharing knowledge for the good of the community.
But hey I can always jump and be a sidekick to any vendor of this forum; I am just not sure how much use that would be.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm nobodys sidekick, to be sure. I don't know that guy from Adam, but he knows his brakes, as opposed to the many that have no clue. I personally would never need or want this type of setup as the stock brakes are very good indeed. The only real advantages these setups offer is fade-resistance and better heat tolerance. If you are involved in some form of racing that requires repeated heavy braking, these might be the ticket. If you are some poseur who likes look, your wasting a wad of cash! FYI: Supra brakes won't fit on a TC . I learned years ago that racers need race parts and poseurs need Pep Boys!
Old 02-25-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm nobodys sidekick, to be sure. I don't know that guy from Adam, but he knows his brakes, as opposed to the many that have no clue. I personally would never need or want this type of setup as the stock brakes are very good indeed. The only real advantages these setups offer is fade-resistance and better heat tolerance. If you are involved in some form of racing that requires repeated heavy braking, these might be the ticket. If you are some poseur who likes look, your wasting a wad of cash! FYI: Supra brakes won't fit on a TC . I learned years ago that racers need race parts and poseurs need Pep Boys!
and yet another useless post.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had stoptechs on my audi... They have a bad case of rotors rust almost immediately... They are loud as a screeching woman when they are "street use" cold... People get the ultimate axxis pads and forget ... These are ment for more autcrossing then street use! I would of tried the street version axxis pads, but never needed to because the ultimates DO last long, but the trade off is a horrible squealing brake everytime you come to a stop light. Plus on that is that people know you are braking... My pops always said a squeaky brake is a good brake.. hmmm well....

If you are doing heavy breaking they are pretty nice though...
Old 02-25-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by motozen
I've had stoptechs on my audi... They have a bad case of rotors rust almost immediately... They are loud as a screeching woman when they are "street use" cold... People get the ultimate axxis pads and forget ... These are ment for more autcrossing then street use! I would of tried the street version axxis pads, but never needed to because the ultimates DO last long, but the trade off is a horrible squealing brake everytime you come to a stop light. Plus on that is that people know you are braking... My pops always said a squeaky brake is a good brake.. hmmm well....

If you are doing heavy breaking they are pretty nice though...
You're the kind of poseur I was talking about! And your post is so relevant I will be sure to print it out and hang it on my refrigerator! All this wisdom coming from a guy who bought a Kia and is dumb enough to admit it!

Quick Reply: Powerslot big brake kit