Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...
View Poll Results: What brand coilovers for best handling ?
JIC MAGIC
20.00%
KW
8.00%
Progress
28.00%
B & G
0%
Tein
28.00%
H & R
8.00%
Other
8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Quest for better handling.... with boost..

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Quest for better handling.... with boost..

Ok so I have decided to change my car around 100percent and take it to a different level. I currently have it sitting on jack stands as I am working on a few things at once. A little background on the car. The car is a 2007 Scion tc with around 30k miles. The car has the following mods.

TurboToyotas V2.1 turbo kit with T3/T04E 57 trim 63. a/r turbo
Tial 38mm Gate
HKS SSQV Bov
Garrett Intercooler
TurboToyotas piping
TurboToyotas 4 bolt downpipe / Spipe in 2.5
( a lot of little miscellaneous parts that make everything work fine )
(soon to come greddy ultimate , PNP harness, 625 injectors+ clips )
I will be running this kit at 10 psi
Skunk2 megapower 2.5 exhaust

Seibon carbon fiber hood
2008 headlight conversion
craven speed short antenna
custom two tone paint job
25 % tint
Billet grilles ( from trdsparks )

craven short throw shifter
Custom craven shift ****
removed cargo area
removed passenger seat ( for the moment till i get front seats )
removed rear seat
custom painted interrior

TRD springs ( red ones )
Hotchkins sway bars F+R
Energy suspension poly bushings
SS braided brake lines

what car looks now. pretty simple from what it used to look like.

I am tired of having a car that is not fast enough and look good enough so im changing a few things to personalize it. Future mods of the car include =
BMW Mojave metallic paint
carbon fiber front splitter
carbon fiber trunk

Witch has brought me to wanting to upgrade my suspension and brakes to give it the ultimate performance that would dominate on the weekend auto x and time attack days. the car will not be driven as much so ride quality dont matter just performance I can get used to the rest. I plan to remove the suspension components and get rid of the springs and stock shocks and replace them with coilovers. I also plan on powdercoating all my suspension components a custom bronze color to match the new paint.(hopefully someone sells custom control arms before the powdercoating so i wont have to do the stock ones (they are coming soon)) I plan to send the sway bars off to get them re powdercoated as well a dark blue color. I plan to do the bushings over again since im going to have to remove them to get the components powdercoated.

all this leads me to coilovers, brakes and wheels and tires. I have a few questions for each one though and I HAVE SEARCHED but i feel this thread would benefit others that are wondering bout the same.

first are coilovers. I have a few in mind but im not sure what way to go. I have owned tein basics and Ksports already and neither were what i wanted. i was looking into these : B & G suspension, progress, JIC magic, Tein SS or KW. please tell me witch ones of thse would be best suited for my needs. I want to hear peoples opinions and feedback on any of these. highly appreciate it. witch one of those are better for TA and Auto X ?

second are brakes. I was thinking bout wilwood 13 inch front and also there BBK for the rear as well. I would consider the wilwood rears and a choice of either rotora or wilwoods front. can i get peoples feed backs on the wilwoods ? i know a lot of people are iffy about them. is there any other kit you guys would recomend ?

final one is wheels and tires. as im planning on buying all of these together. I would like to run a 17 inch tires but would i benefit more from an 18 inch tire ? if i did a 17x 7.5 or 17x8 with no fender liners what would be the widest tire i could go with ? i would like to run as wide a tire as i could. what do people recommend ? what wheels ? i was thinking about a set of either OZ Alleggerita HLT in black, or the Enkeii RPF! in black. would get the don gardner series wheel but i doubt they will be available when im ready to buy. for tires could i go bigger that a 225 without rubbing ? and should i do a 40 series tire or 45 ? for tires im planning on running Falken RT 615 or FK452

please guide me in the right way. im just trying to change my car around so i can get the most out of it. This car will not be a daily driver but more of a weekend cruise car. endlinks are on the way as well and im sure they will help out a lot also. also i have been speaking with a company that is getting ready to release a set of control arms and tie rod ends and ball joints for our cars witch would be nice and would definitely be mine as soon as they came out. help me build my scion as im going to compete in auto x this year, thanks a lot people and if you have questions as well just ask.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

B & G good ? anyone running these ?
what bout KW and Form and function ? as well ?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For your intended purposes, the best wheels might be these;

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...837&highlight=

They're a VERY limited edition so you should hurry if you want to get a set.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im going to try for those but ill see if i get my funds together on time.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I'm going to put it as simple as possible.

Without the most ownage tires and an LSD, you're going to have serious trouble putting power down when coming out of a corner.

I'd highly suggest getting RPF1 (the BEST track wheels), but like you said, they're limited on size. With the setup you have, 300-320WHP on 11-12PSI is typical, and with that kind of power, you're going to probably need 235's up front, at least.

Also, I don't know if it has any transmission work right now, but you will need at least a stage 4 clutch, a new flywheel, and motor mounts.

Basically, without proper tires, all the money you'll spend on suspension will go to waste. Modding for track use should be done in this order.
1-Safety
2-Tires
3-Brakes
4-Suspension
5-Weight
6-Power
Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ ya i know thanks for the help. is there anyother wheels people would recommend ? I am going to try for those wheels, but in case they are sold what would you guys recommend ? regular RPF1 ? in a 7.5 ? or 9 ? how will the car do with 235 ? will i have to modify the fenders ? cause i have an extra set laying around that i can learn on. thanks everyone,
Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

With coilovers, you probably won't need to do anything with the fenders for 235s. You won't be restricted to a pre-set spring height. Talk to Travis (rythmnsmoke), he's going to be running 255's up front for Time Attack.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

235 fit nicely in the rear also ? could i fit those with a 8 inch wide wheel ? just curious since there is more selection for them.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

would falken rt 615 be good too ? is it ok to run two different sizes to time attack ? wider front than rear ?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I don't know anything about what fits in the wheel wells, so I won't try to answer that. I do know that offset will play a huge factor in fitment.

Having wider in the front than rear is fine, however you might run into oversteer due to lack of traction in the rear. There will be tons of factors (coilover settings, wheel alignment, sway bars, etc) that will directly affect over/understeer, so you'll have to keep that in mind. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe PTuning was running 285's up front and 255's in the rear last season.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scikotictc232
would falken rt 615 be good too ? is it ok to run two different sizes to time attack ? wider front than rear ?
Those tires offer a lot of performance for the price, and would be a good choice if you're doing a lot of off-track (street) time. However, if you're going to auto-x and/or TA and be really serious about it, many of your competitors will be running something stickier, albeit higher priced.

Sure, wider in front will be ok and in fact can help decrease the tC's tendency for understeer. The one thing you wouldn't want to do for performance is run wider in the rear, that's only good for the show car only crowd.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ ya i was not planning on running wider in the rear. Does anyone know any good sites to learn about this ? or books ? I am not planning on driving it much on the street as it tends to get me into trouble. ( but i dont want to get rid of it cause its almost payed off) But i do want to be able to drive it around town every once in a while and to the drag strip on the weekends as i will be doing a lot of drag this summer. so i dont want something thats going to get tore up easier. as far as coilovers what does everyone recomend ?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what bout coilovers ?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't the Scion celebrity race event use Progress coilovers?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

isnt ptuning on custom valved progress also ?
Old 03-12-2009, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

watching this, good luck
Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

what bout coilovers ?
To answer your original question, any of the adjustable coilovers you listed in the poll will do fairly well on any track; it really comes down to how the car is setup, supporting mods (tires, wheels, alignment, etc.), and driving style. If you are not doing this for show, don't drop your car any further than your current TRD drop. Also, as a rule, I wouldn't go with a "fashion" brand of coilover and go with a track proven company (drifting doesn't count!). Look at TEIN, KW, H&R, and Progress... companies that build and test suspensions all day, everyday.

As for brakes, I'll be honest and say my Wilwoods are mostly for show; my car is a daily driver 97% of the time, however, that 3% when I'm actually using my BBK is fun! It's more of money issue than anything else, and unless you go professional, a good rotor/pad/fluid upgrade will do you just as good and cost a lot less... especially for AutoX and HPDE.

Wheels and tires... everyone pretty much nailed it with Enkei RPF1. I used to run 17x8 +35 with 225/45 Falken 615 (I changed because I got a killer deal on the Volk CE28N I couldn't say no to). Great for multi-use... you can't go wrong with that setup. 235 you may be able to get away without severe rubbing, but 245 is out of the question at that offset. And as much as I would like to recommend the Dan Gardner edition RPF1, that offset may cause long term issues for daily use.

I hope that helps.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

My vote goes for Progress. It seems to be the best for the money. Just make sure you get them properly corner balanced, otherwise they're just going to go to waste.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2fast4you
what bout coilovers ?
And as much as I would like to recommend the Dan Gardner edition RPF1, that offset may cause long term issues for daily use.

I hope that helps.
Actually, we are offering 2 different offsets to appease the needs of everyone now, a 30 AND a 40. Probably good to make sure that info disseminates.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet thanks a lot guys. im going to be looking into buying coilovers next. im stuck between a tig welder and a set of coilovers or wheels. will see what happens.

Quick Reply: Quest for better handling.... with boost..