Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Rear Sway Bar - TRD vs Progress

Old 01-17-2010, 02:56 PM

Default Rear Sway Bar - TRD vs Progress

so im looking to get sway bars and was wondering which one i should get. i wanna get either TRD or Progress because i dont wanna deal with the hassle of installing the front sway bars.

but...

looking at the info of the TRD vs Progress:
both sways bars cost about the same. little under $200 shipped.

TRD
22mm thick *edit*
2 way adjustable
uses stock endlink

Progress
22mm thick
3 way adjustable
new adjustable endlink

stock
21mm manual / 22 automatic
non adjustable
stock endlink

correct the info if its wrong. just going off my head from what ive been reading the last hour or so.

*i figure the TRD is better because its thicker, right?**edit: (WRONG! both the TRD and Progress bars are the same thickness at 22mm) but im wondering if i would need to buy aftermarket endlinks to use the sway bar correctly? (bushing/boots on endlinks misaligned due to 2 different settings?) anyone care to share info/exp on this?

then theres the Progress sway bars. around the same thickness as stock but better much beefier material i would guess... some said it was two times heavier than stock. Progress has one more setting than the TRD and comes with adjustable endlinks that will keep the boots straight when adjusting the settings.

anyone with these bars care to back the bars they have on their cars so i can finalize my choice...

FINAL DECISION AND REASON:

Similarities:
both sway bars are the same size at 22mm (thanks pinoyFMtC for comfirming) and both cost around the same at a little under $200 (depending where you buy from).

Differences:
Progress sway bar has 3 different setting compared to the TRD which only has 2. Progress bar come with adjustable beefier endlinks compared to TRD which uses the stock endlinks.

Final decision: Progress Sway Bar.

thanks for everyones input on these sway bars. this is just my final decision base on what i need the sway bars for. someone else might have different reasons for choosing TRD.

Last edited by TooCool_07; 01-19-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

I got the TRD, no complaints here, there is a few around with the Progress, hopefully they will chime in.

What are you going after with the sway bar/ what is the desired result? Are you autox or daily/spirited driving.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree with kanchi, what your looking to get out of it will help you better deicide what sway to choose. i have the TRD and its on the street setting. never had it on the street performance setting but i have nothing but good things to say about the TRD one.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

got the progress's cuz i felt it was a better deal with the endlinks and 3 settings have it on the stiffest best mod i got even better then the lowering springs. got it for a good price though got it when it was only like 160 at p tuning like a year ago.

id go with progress over trd you'll never second guess yourself
Old 01-17-2010, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by huslindan
got the progress's cuz i felt it was a better deal with the endlinks and 3 settings have it on the stiffest best mod i got even better then the lowering springs. got it for a good price though got it when it was only like 160 at p tuning like a year ago.

id go with progress over trd you'll never second guess yourself
wow so the progress come with endlinks, I guess other sway bar does not because when you use the stock endlink it the bolts bend...
Old 01-17-2010, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea progress comes with beefier endlinks and also has one more adjustment hole. I however went TRD and love it.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:22 PM

my tc is mainly just street driven but i was looking into light autocrossing. just wanna join in on the fun when my buddies go autocrossing. currently just have tein htech which helps with avoiding dips, bumps, and stuff like that. im not looking into doing any hardcore autocrossing or i wouldve went with coilovers and hotchicks sway bars.

i just wanna see how other people feel about their setups and if ill have issues with the endlinks with the TRD sway bar.

if there is no issues with the endlinks with TRD ill go with that. but if people feel that the endlinks bug them enough that they feel they need to buy adjustable endlinks then ill go with Progress. (if the endlinks are even a issue) TRDs 25mm thickness is sold on me but im not too sure on the endlinks.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

had my trd for over a year and have had no problems with my endlinks.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've had the trd rear sway for about 2 years and haven't had any problems with the rear endlinks bending, before installing it i put some energy suspension bushings but i'm probably sure it didn't really make oit any stiffer. i've heard that the progress is really good as well but if you do decide to get that one, then don't over do it with stiffing it up...
Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i've had the trd rear sway for about a year and no problems
Old 01-18-2010, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I thought both the TRD and the Progress were both 22mm? I could be wrong.

Anyway, I've had the TRD on my car before and currently have the Progress one. I like the Progress more. I never pushed the TRD sway in autocross, but the Progress one is amazing in autocross, car is much more neutral (set to the stiffest setting). Killed body roll in the rear. On the street, even in non-aggressive driving I can feel the Progress one more than I could the TRD one. I got the Progress for around $175 on CorSport.

Edit:
Confirmed the TRD sway is 22mm just as the Progress is. The thickest rear-only bar is the H&R one at 24mm.

Page 2 shows the TRD bar is 22mm:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...ickness&page=2
H&R review also confirms TRD bar is 22mm:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...+bar+thickness

Last edited by pinoyFMtC; 01-18-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I'm glad this thread was around. I've been deciding between these two and I like the Progress more. Ik its pointless to have it just looks sweet but I wish it came with the matching tie bar. My buddies RSX has a progress bar and it came with the tie bar. Looks badass
Old 01-19-2010, 01:56 PM

well, it looks like Progress then. they both cost the same and are the same thickness but Progress has one more setting and adjustable endlinks.

Originally Posted by pinoyFMtC
I thought both the TRD and the Progress were both 22mm? I could be wrong.

Edit:
Confirmed the TRD sway is 22mm just as the Progress is. The thickest rear-only bar is the H&R one at 24mm.

thanks for correcting. i edited the top too.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

I love my TRD sway. Four years and no issues.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by TooCool_07
so im looking to get sway bars and was wondering which one i should get. i wanna get either TRD or Progress because i dont wanna deal with the hassle of installing the front sway bars.

but...

looking at the info of the TRD vs Progress:
both sways bars cost about the same. little under $200 shipped.

TRD
22mm thick *edit*
2 way adjustable
uses stock endlink

Progress
22mm thick
3 way adjustable
new adjustable endlink

stock
21mm manual / 22 automatic
non adjustable
stock endlink

correct the info if its wrong. just going off my head from what ive been reading the last hour or so.

*i figure the TRD is better because its thicker, right?**edit: (WRONG! both the TRD and Progress bars are the same thickness at 22mm) but im wondering if i would need to buy aftermarket endlinks to use the sway bar correctly? (bushing/boots on endlinks misaligned due to 2 different settings?) anyone care to share info/exp on this?

then theres the Progress sway bars. around the same thickness as stock but better much beefier material i would guess... some said it was two times heavier than stock. Progress has one more setting than the TRD and comes with adjustable endlinks that will keep the boots straight when adjusting the settings.

anyone with these bars care to back the bars they have on their cars so i can finalize my choice...

FINAL DECISION AND REASON:

Similarities:
both sway bars are the same size at 22mm (thanks pinoyFMtC for comfirming) and both cost around the same at a little under $200 (depending where you buy from).

Differences:
Progress sway bar has 3 different setting compared to the TRD which only has 2. Progress bar come with adjustable beefier endlinks compared to TRD which uses the stock endlinks.

Final decision: Progress Sway Bar.

thanks for everyones input on these sway bars. this is just my final decision base on what i need the sway bars for. someone else might have different reasons for choosing TRD.
You've made a good decision. We love the Progress bar. Hell I even have one on my wife's DD tC. LOL

http://www.dezod.com/pd_progress_rear_sway_barscion.cfm
Old 01-19-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
I love my TRD sway. Four years and no issues.
i bet ill love it too, but for around the same price the Progress give you more adjustability.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No prob. Good choice with the Progress you're gonna love it. Just make sure the endlinks are the same length when installing.

Optimal endlink install, some good info in this thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130228
Old 01-20-2010, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by TooCool_07
i bet ill love it too, but for around the same price the Progress give you more adjustability.
Eh, I suppose. But I'm not one to tinker with it once it's installed. The endlinks are a nice bonus though.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got progress and its very good. i have it at the stiffest setting and notice a huge difference in corners. but going to go softer setting since its not practical for DD.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Coolwaterz
i got progress and its very good. i have it at the stiffest setting and notice a huge difference in corners. but going to go softer setting since its not practical for DD.
How is it not practical? I DD with mine on the stiffest setting, and it doesn't affect driveability or comfort at all. Just better handling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Sway Bar - TRD vs Progress