Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Ride comfort with TRD shocks and lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ride comfort with TRD shocks and lowering springs

Hey guy I just purchased the TRD shocks struts and lowering springs special from trdsparks. I am just wondering from anyone who has this setup on their car how much more harsh is the ride compared to stock shocks and springs? I live in Cleveland, Ohio and the roads especially on the city streets are kind of bad. Some areas are worse than others but I will definitely be driving over alot of rough roads. Now I was able to get over 173,000 miles out of the stockers, obviously these wont last that long, (hopefully I wont drive another 173,000 miles...). Also would getting a TRD or hotchkis rear sway bar be a good idea? Now I dont auto x, and if I am doing any type of fast driving it's straight line type drag racing driving. Would you guys recommend the sway bar for just a daily driver?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn you have alot of miles on the car but anyways the ride will be about the same as stock but alot smoother than your 173k mile shocks, i would say get the trd rear sway bar than the hotchkis. because it's a front and rear and installing the front is a mission, but since your not looking to auto x you will be fine as i have the trd rear sway bar and love taking the freeway onramp turns pretty quick.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would recommend the TRD rear sway for you. Hotckins might be overkill if your not planning to track your vehicle.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD Rear Sway is the way to go for your kind of driving.

Ken
Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey thanks guys,

I also want to ask, when you guys had your stuff installed, did you install it yourself or did you take it to a shop? If you took it to a shop how much did you pay in labor costs? Im just asking because I really need this job done for cheap, as the shocks and springs already cost me just over $600 shipped...What are some reasonable labor prices for this job? Shocks and lowering springs with a 4 wheel alignment.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey guy also I wanted to ask as far as being lowered do you have problems with scraping the front end of the car backing out of driveways or anything like that? Also does lowering your car make your cars handling better, worse, or has no effect when driving in snow?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD drop shouldn't affect you that much as far as scraping goes. Just take it easy, don't go flying into your driveway. I got a lower drop then TRDs and as long as I take it easy, and take really steep entrances on an angle, i won't scrap. As far as handling in the snow. I can't notice an effect. I mean, i guess you'll have a little bit of a snow plow effect going on if it really snows but I wouldn't worry about it. I never had issues.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should definitely do the install, rather than paying a shop to do it. There are plenty of diys on this site that will guide you through the process. Installing the sway bar is pretty self explanatory once you remove the stock sway. The hardest part is removing the stock endlinks which are not really that difficult in the first place...unless the bolts are rusted. The shock and spring install will take a bit longer. It requires the removal of some of your stock interior. Not that bad but I would suggest you to find a Scion club around your area and ask for help. Im sure they are willing to help.

As far as snow, just make sure you don't park into spaces with lots of snow or hard snow. If you do, GL trying to get out. Btw, if you decide to do the install, make sure you get a air gun/wrench.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Domo
You should definitely do the install, rather than paying a shop to do it. There are plenty of diys on this site that will guide you through the process. Installing the sway bar is pretty self explanatory once you remove the stock sway. The hardest part is removing the stock endlinks which are not really that difficult in the first place...unless the bolts are rusted. The shock and spring install will take a bit longer. It requires the removal of some of your stock interior. Not that bad but I would suggest you to find a Scion club around your area and ask for help. Im sure they are willing to help.

As far as snow, just make sure you don't park into spaces with lots of snow or hard snow. If you do, GL trying to get out. Btw, if you decide to do the install, make sure you get a air gun/wrench.
Hey guys thanks again,

Domo, As far as me doing it myself I really wish I could...I've done other work like brake pads, rotors, CAI, oil changes, tranny fluid changes, pretty much anything that my dad can help me with, but since he's never done shocks or springs, I dont think I really wanna mess with that. I'll definitely have to check for any local clubs, but my mom knows a guy that might be able to cut me a deal on the labor, so Ill have to see what he says.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do it yourself. It's really easy. Where are you located? I'm sure you can find someone to help out if you provide a 6 pack. ____ i'd help for a six pack lol. And you will need an air/electric impact wrench. I picked up a cheap electric one from Pepboys for like 60 bucks. Not as good as an air gun but it does the job as far as suspension goes and it's alot cheaper if u don't have a compressor. can't tell you how many times it's payed for itself so far.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My dad and I put Eibach lowering springs on my '89 Celica, no power tools either. He bought a spring compressor and we just took our time with the install. If you decide to use power tools for anything, it's to loosen bolts and nuts. You already know that though. I guess I have some work cut out for me when my coilovers arrive for the tC, taking the rear interior apart sounds fun :sarcasm:.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u don't have to take it completely appart. Just the trunk mat, little flappy thing attached to the plastic thing, and maybe the spare tire and foam thingies. U can get to the bolts without taking the liner out.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wish I knew that a week ago when I installed my s-techs. I used to be a professional car audio/video installer so it was a basic tear down for rear speakers in a coupe anyway.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey I live in Cleveland Ohio, and man...you guys are really tempting me to go ahead and try the install myself...lol It would really save me alot of money...the dealer quoted me over $900 which I guess they are trying to say, its going to take a certified tech over 9 hours to do the job...yea right...smh...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to drop all kinds of cars anytime anywhere on 1 stock jack and a bag of mixed tools that people leave in my car by accident. LOL that was in the late 90's.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tell that dealer to go bleep itself. It's really an easy job, I've done it so many times that I could probably pull the strut and remove the spring within 10 minutes and get everything bolted back in maybe another 15 or 20 min. Could probably do the whole car in 2 hours if I'm rushing, 3 if I'm taking it easy. Gotta have the right tools tho.

Last edited by a_german_named_hans; 10-21-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: I'ma boss.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spring compressors are your friends. I had to use it when I installed my S-Techs. First time I've ever used them on a 2"+ drop. I normally have a husky friend push the spring down for me.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you guys have pretty much convinced me to decide to just do this job myself. Im going to ask my father to help me with it, as Im sure if we have done brake pads and rotors, that this wont be that much harder to do...I will definitely be picking up one of those spring compressors. We do have a impact wrench, is there anything else that I might need to do this job other than your everyday standard issue tools?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You basically need a spring compressor to remove the rear spring, so that you can use the stock shock cap/head or whether you call it. I think Autozone, Murrays, or Pepboys might have one that you can rent. Try to get a air gun/wrench. That is definitely something you want to invest in because it literally makes everything easier.

Removal of the interior is really simple. Pretty much the easiest thing of the install. Tcs are built like legos.

Coilover DIY
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154155
Interior Removal DIY
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/interior-disassembly-24346/

Here are some threads to get you started.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey guys,

I was going to do the install today, but when I told my father about the install he suggested that I not do the install until I get all new strut mounts for the car. Which makes sense since the car has so many miles on it. The dealer quoted me over $100 for each one....World Auto Parts quoted me $19.95 but I got a feeling that the guy didnt give me the price of all the parts....does anyone know where else I can get these, and for about how much?

Quick Reply: Ride comfort with TRD shocks and lowering springs