Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Roll Center Adjusters?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Roll Center Adjusters?

Preface: For those who dont know what an RCA is in this sense, its an adapter fitted between the stock hub and control arm in a macpherson strut setup aimed at correcting the camber curve on a lowered vehicle by moving the control arm back towards its "natural" position, effectively helping the lowered cars benefit from proper suspension gometry at their new ride heights.

So ive done some searches on here and a few other forums, and i must ask, why has nothing like this been created for our vehicles?

The idea appears to have been tossed around sometimes but i dont believe its ever turned into anything substantial, and yet it appears like it should be a fairly simple part to create for our cars and not too expensive either. My only point of concern is that in our vehicles, it would have to be fitted between the control arm balljoint and the control arm. So I suppose the question is, would the balljoint be stressed too much or put outside of its range of acceptable motion?

Let the discussion begin.

TYLER
Old 09-21-2010, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no thoughts/interest or ideas from anyone? =/

sad

TYLER
Old 09-21-2010, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Sounds beneficial.
I just had to replace my axle due to the mid shaft seal blowing out and my cv joints disintegrating.
All because the geometry was thrown off.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good point, i suppose axles also would benefit from these as well, would keep the cv joints from having to go through such a wide range of motion. hmmm.

TYLER
Old 10-03-2010, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man i actually had a dream about this 2 nights ago. i was thinkin about fabbing up somethin myself.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:24 PM
SL Member

there making these for my car now, they lower the car about an in. so you can raise the coilovers but you get the cheep asses that throw these on with springs ....
Old 10-03-2010, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so they are selling them for your lex? i kno they make a subframe for the subi that allows you to lower the car but it corrects the geometry of suspension from it being lowered.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by TJKASS
Preface: For those who dont know what an RCA is in this sense, its an adapter fitted between the stock hub and control arm in a macpherson strut setup aimed at correcting the camber curve on a lowered vehicle by moving the control arm back towards its "natural" position, effectively helping the lowered cars benefit from proper suspension gometry at their new ride heights.

So ive done some searches on here and a few other forums, and i must ask, why has nothing like this been created for our vehicles?

The idea appears to have been tossed around sometimes but i dont believe its ever turned into anything substantial, and yet it appears like it should be a fairly simple part to create for our cars and not too expensive either. My only point of concern is that in our vehicles, it would have to be fitted between the control arm balljoint and the control arm. So I suppose the question is, would the balljoint be stressed too much or put outside of its range of acceptable motion?

Let the discussion begin.

TYLER
Do you happen to own an AE86 by chance?

The only reason why I ask that is because this is what hatchi owners call them. Other car guys call it other things like roll center kits and random names.

Anyways RCA's may change the camber curve slightly but it's not really intended for that, considering the camber gain through the motion of the wheel is very minimal on a macpherson suspension. It is more to correct the roll centers. Which is the axis on which your car rolls on. This is changed as you lower your vehicle, but making the Lower control arms sit more parallel to the ground puts it back to its original position.

Last edited by ninjlao; 10-04-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope, not a AE owner, but have had an Mk2 MR2 before and found them to be a god send on that. And correct, they adjust the body roll center lower, back within a range closer to where the wheels lateral force is supplied to the suspension. Effectively increasing the cornering force the car can sustain before the suspension begins bearing some of the cornering load(allowing the base/desired alignment to have a wider range of static coverage) hence my statement earlier . Thanks for the catch as I realize my previous statement may have not been completely encompassing as to the benefits. I just felt this community would be more interested in retaining suspension geometry on "slammed" daily drivers, than in parts designed to enhance a vehicles performance capability. Cant help the skepticism from time to time

So when can we get these for the tc??? pretty please!?!

TYLER
Old 07-22-2012, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ninjlao
Do you happen to own an AE86 by chance?

The only reason why I ask that is because this is what hatchi owners call them. Other car guys call it other things like roll center kits and random names.

Anyways RCA's may change the camber curve slightly but it's not really intended for that, considering the camber gain through the motion of the wheel is very minimal on a macpherson suspension. It is more to correct the roll centers. Which is the axis on which your car rolls on. This is changed as you lower your vehicle, but making the Lower control arms sit more parallel to the ground puts it back to its original position.
1. sorry to bump old thread.
2. OP, I am interested in these, though mainly for adjusting the camber curve. Dropping the car more than 1" pushes it into positive-camber territory in bumps and aggressive driving--> camber wear and poor performance
3. I think there is little interest because Scion owners are not educated in the nuances of suspension geometry, don't know what they're missing.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member

Has there been any development on this? I think the TC ball joint will fit the celica and gtfour. I have been trying to find a RCA for my car and was hoping for an off the shelf solution before trying to have something made.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member

I am talking to TechnoToyTuning, the same ones who made the tie rod flip kit about making something. They say if we can get 10 people interested, they can make something similar to this for much less. I am currently having this developed for the celica. What someone needs to verify is if the tie rod from the 90s celica will fit. I know the camry and rav 4 is compatible. The tc later celicas etc.. have the same design, the dimensions of the mounting holes need to be compared.

So I will put a list here for a couple of days and if there is little response I will make a group buy thread.

01) cms-gt4
02)
03)
04)
05)
06)
07)
09)
10)
Old 04-25-2013, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by cms-gt4
I am talking to TechnoToyTuning, the same ones who made the tie rod flip kit about making something. They say if we can get 10 people interested, they can make something similar to this for much less. I am currently having this developed for the celica. What someone needs to verify is if the tie rod from the 90s celica will fit. I know the camry and rav 4 is compatible. The tc later celicas etc.. have the same design, the dimensions of the mounting holes need to be compared.

So I will put a list here for a couple of days and if there is little response I will make a group buy thread.

01) cms-gt4
02)
03)
04)
05)
06)
07)
09)
10)
When I had the tC I would have been interested. My car was camber challenged under cornering with a ~2in drop. Good luck though, hope you get some interest on this
Old 04-26-2013, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

def interested in this pending the cost
Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member

He is now starting development. Someone just needs to verify the tapers are the same for the TC and 90s celica for the ball joint and tie rod as well as the 3 bolts on the LCA.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any update on this?
Old 05-28-2013, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member

Hoping to see a prototype in another week.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member

Hoping to see a prototype in another week.
I would definitely be interested in purchasing this if everything works out.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm interested in the RCA for my 06 Tc, u guys can count me in on the list, I talked to techno toy tuning, they said if we round up 10 people, they will look into it, so.....do we have 10 people now?
Old 06-28-2013, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

He is now starting development. Someone just needs to verify the tapers are the same for the TC and 90s celica for the ball joint and tie rod as well as the 3 bolts on the LCA.
So, any news on the RCA for 1st Gen Tc? Thx Phil

Quick Reply: Roll Center Adjusters?